PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Milestone

July 17th 16, 12:44 AM
Back in 1955 Walt Cannon learned to fly gliders at the Schweizer Soaring School in Elmira. As was common then, he soloed in a 2-22. After a time, Bernie Carris decided he was ready for a single seat glider and put him in the then new 1-26.
He was the first "kid" to fly a 1-26. Recently I found out that the glider he flew is our 1-26, serial number 2, N91894. It now serves as the juniors glider at our club and flies all the time.
Fast forward to last Wednesday when Walt again flew the same glider 61 years later while participating in the IVSM.
The smile on his face was priceless.
I've asked around among many who may know and nobody recalls someone flying the same glider over this span of years.
It says a lot for the longevity of both the glider and this extraordinary pilot.
Well done Walt!
UH

July 17th 16, 01:31 AM
Great stuff, UH! Back in 1981, I ventured out West for the first time with my mother, brother, and sister to fly the 15M Nationals at Minden, NV, where Walt Cannon flew to 4th place. It was an epic journey for us involving thrills and excitement in the air and on the ground.

Last month--almost exactly 35 years later--my brother and I retraced most of our steps across the country so I could fly in the Std. Class Nationals in Nephi, UT...where Walt Cannon gridded next to us each day.

I didn't start soaring until 10 years after Walt (following the same 2-22 to 1-26 path), so to see him still going strong now is an inspiration! Indeed, well done!

I should add that Walt's contest number, NT, is one of only three (together with mine, JB, and Ken Sorenson's KM) that I noticed as repeats in Nephi from that bygone era in a cursory perusal of the scores in the Soaring magazine archive, although there are many more pilots still flying and competing..

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

July 17th 16, 02:22 PM
40 some years ago, I used to own 1-26 serial number one. I believe it is now hanging from the ceiling of an Elmira Mall, next to the Schweizer factory.

Tom Knauff

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
July 17th 16, 07:46 PM
You are correct, it's been hanging there for (Arnot mall in the valley below HHSC and next to Chemung county airport) 20+ years, likely never to be flown again.
As co-owner of 002 for many years (along with Hank), it's a glider a few years older than I.
I believe it has a WORKING pellet vario in it, lots of fun to fly on weak days (low wing loading with me in it) good sealing allowed an airspeed only a bit above a hawk in a thermal.

Wish I could have been there for the IVSM...........

Tony[_5_]
July 17th 16, 08:02 PM
The pellet vario in 002 worked fine for me. Big thanks to Hank for letting me fly it at IVSM.

Google