PDA

View Full Version : Transcontinental

Auxvache
August 22nd 16, 11:19 PM
This is the sort of dumb aloud-wondering usually reserved for the soaring off-season, but...
How many days or weeks do you think it would take to fly a sailplane across the continental U.S. or Canada? Really fly it--no trailering as has been necessary during the Smirnoff Derby and Return to Kitty Hawk. With the amazing flights being done in all parts of North America these days, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone puts it all together. Presumably retired and with a self-launching motorglider. What route would they take? What should we call the prize?

August 23rd 16, 01:29 AM
Great idea! I've attempted several attempts to fly to Kansas city from Phoenix with stops at Moriarty NM, Ulysses KS then to Sunflower in Yoder KS and back. Got waylaid after Ulysses in a torrential down pour in central K's leaving a week of water logged central Kansas to navigate made a mere 50 miles then had to trailer to and from Yoder. But have a few Western straight outs and large triangles of several thousand miles without dissembling from Prescott to Parowan, Ely, Vegas, Prescott.

Renny[_2_]
August 23rd 16, 02:34 AM
On Monday, August 22, 2016 at 4:19:04 PM UTC-6, Auxvache wrote:
> This is the sort of dumb aloud-wondering usually reserved for the soaring off-season, but...
> How many days or weeks do you think it would take to fly a sailplane across the continental U.S. or Canada? Really fly it--no trailering as has been necessary during the Smirnoff Derby and Return to Kitty Hawk. With the amazing flights being done in all parts of North America these days, I figure it's only a matter of time before someone puts it all together. Presumably retired and with a self-launching motorglider. What route would they take? What should we call the prize?

In the early 70's the Smirnoff Sailplane Derby was held on (I believe) several occasions. In 1972 the route went from LA - Phoenix - Las Cruces, NM - Odessa - Dallas - St Louis - Chicago - Akron - Baltimore. The race participants were top pilots of the day and each day was scored like a contest day. They took two towplanes on the "trip" and they tried to cover the 2,900 miles by soaring approximately 300 miles each day. More info can be found in the Soaring magazine archives. For example, some info on the planning of the 1972 race can be found on page 6 & 7 of the April 1972 edition of Soaring magazine.

Bret Hess
August 23rd 16, 03:40 PM
I've been thinking about a fun pubicity transcontinental race between sailplanes (already solar powered) and solar powered vehicles. Any initial thoughts about which would win? Seems like Discovery or some channel like that would take it up.

Bret

JS
August 23rd 16, 06:16 PM
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 7:40:28 AM UTC-7, Bret Hess wrote:
> I've been thinking about a fun pubicity transcontinental race between sailplanes (already solar powered) and solar powered vehicles. Any initial thoughts about which would win? Seems like Discovery or some channel like that would take it up.
>
> Bret

That's a great publicity idea, Bret!
Jim

Steve Koerner
August 23rd 16, 06:22 PM
My transcontinental race idea works like this:

Participants start at a particular Pacific shoreline location (which is not too far from a gliderport). Participants may use differing modes of transportation as they choose so long as none use electricity or a fuel for motive force. Possible modes include hiking, running, soaring, swimming, horseback, paddling, cycling, sailing, skateboarding etc. The first person to enter the Atlantic ocean wins.

Clearly glider flying can provide the most miles in a day as long as there is decent soaring weather. So this would be a soaring centric race yet would offer other modes that are fitness oriented. If the soaring weather isn't looking good a racer can press on or wait it out. If he lands at other than a gliderport, he'll have to use another self powered mode to get to a possible launching site.

All participants use a tracker at all times and are required to report frequently to a common website where everyone can know any participant's status.. Every participant would have a crew with them with glider trailer and various other self powered vehicles.

A road bike and a dirt bike would be obvious essentials. Pure glider participants would probably want to also carry auto tow launch gear.

We'd have to think through this a little more. I'm sure there's more rules that would be needed.

Dan Daly[_2_]
August 23rd 16, 07:21 PM
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 1:22:10 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
> My transcontinental race idea works like this:
>
> Participants start at a particular Pacific shoreline location (which is not too far from a gliderport). Participants may use differing modes of transportation as they choose so long as none use electricity or a fuel for motive force. Possible modes include hiking, running, soaring, swimming, horseback, paddling, cycling, sailing, skateboarding etc. The first person to enter the Atlantic ocean wins.
>
> Clearly glider flying can provide the most miles in a day as long as there is decent soaring weather. So this would be a soaring centric race yet would offer other modes that are fitness oriented. If the soaring weather isn't looking good a racer can press on or wait it out. If he lands at other than a gliderport, he'll have to use another self powered mode to get to a possible launching site.
>
> All participants use a tracker at all times and are required to report frequently to a common website where everyone can know any participant's status. Every participant would have a crew with them with glider trailer and various other self powered vehicles.
>
> A road bike and a dirt bike would be obvious essentials. Pure glider participants would probably want to also carry auto tow launch gear.
>
> We'd have to think through this a little more. I'm sure there's more rules that would be needed.

Without electricity or a fuel for motive force, how are they going to launch?

Steve Leonard[_2_]
August 23rd 16, 07:42 PM
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 12:22:10 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
> My transcontinental race idea works like this:
>
> Participants start at a particular Pacific shoreline location (which is not too far from a gliderport). Participants may use differing modes of transportation as they choose so long as none use electricity or a fuel for motive force. Possible modes include hiking, running, soaring, swimming, horseback, paddling, cycling, sailing, skateboarding etc. The first person to enter the Atlantic ocean wins.
>
> Clearly glider flying can provide the most miles in a day as long as there is decent soaring weather. So this would be a soaring centric race yet would offer other modes that are fitness oriented. If the soaring weather isn't looking good a racer can press on or wait it out. If he lands at other than a gliderport, he'll have to use another self powered mode to get to a possible launching site.
>
> All participants use a tracker at all times and are required to report frequently to a common website where everyone can know any participant's status. Every participant would have a crew with them with glider trailer and various other self powered vehicles.
>
> A road bike and a dirt bike would be obvious essentials. Pure glider participants would probably want to also carry auto tow launch gear.
>
> We'd have to think through this a little more. I'm sure there's more rules that would be needed.

You should probably drop cycling. They already have that race covered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Across_America

August 23rd 16, 07:56 PM
http://www.redbullxalps.com/ with sailplanes. Interestingly X-Alps is Redbulls biggest draw for viewers. Surprising with all the stuff they sponsor.

Martin Gregorie[_5_]
August 23rd 16, 07:57 PM
On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 11:21:08 -0700, Dan Daly wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 1:22:10 PM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
>> My transcontinental race idea works like this:
>>
>> Participants start at a particular Pacific shoreline location (which is
>> not too far from a gliderport). Participants may use differing modes
>> of transportation as they choose so long as none use electricity or a
>> fuel for motive force. Possible modes include hiking, running,
>> soaring, swimming, horseback, paddling, cycling, sailing, skateboarding
>> etc. The first person to enter the Atlantic ocean wins.
>>
>> Clearly glider flying can provide the most miles in a day as long as
>> there is decent soaring weather. So this would be a soaring centric
>> race yet would offer other modes that are fitness oriented. If the
>> soaring weather isn't looking good a racer can press on or wait it out.
>> If he lands at other than a gliderport, he'll have to use another self
>> powered mode to get to a possible launching site.
>>
>> All participants use a tracker at all times and are required to report
>> frequently to a common website where everyone can know any
>> participant's status. Every participant would have a crew with them
>> with glider trailer and various other self powered vehicles.
>>
>> A road bike and a dirt bike would be obvious essentials. Pure glider
>> participants would probably want to also carry auto tow launch gear.
>>
>> We'd have to think through this a little more. I'm sure there's more
>> rules that would be needed.
>
> Without electricity or a fuel for motive force, how are they going to
> launch?

Presumably by ground launch, winch or aero tow as usual, but with a rule
that the leg only starts when the glider has passed round the west side
of a start point on the western boundary of the airfield where it took
off. You'd probably want to restrict the start height too.

You might also allow a tow-car to move the glider in its trailer, e.g.
from a landout site to an airfield, provided that this moves the glider
away from the Atlantic.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Doug[_9_]
August 23rd 16, 09:35 PM
Still available online http://www.mediamaxproductions.com/rtkh/

Doug

Dave Nadler
August 23rd 16, 10:28 PM
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 4:36:03 PM UTC-4, Doug wrote:
> Still available online http://www.mediamaxproductions.com/rtkh/
> Doug

Now there was some epic silliness.
Don't forget, Eric Raymond flew his original SunSeeker
across the USA on only solar power decades ago...

See ya, Dave

Craig Funston
August 23rd 16, 11:51 PM
On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 2:28:51 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 4:36:03 PM UTC-4, Doug wrote:
> > Still available online http://www.mediamaxproductions.com/rtkh/
> > Doug
>
> Now there was some epic silliness.
> Don't forget, Eric Raymond flew his original SunSeeker
> across the USA on only solar power decades ago...
>
> See ya, Dave

Seems like Eric's always been about 20 years ahead of us.

Ramy[_2_]
August 24th 16, 06:36 AM
I've been thinking about it ever since I participated in the return to Kitty Hawk race, which turned into a trailer race at some point.
The only thing stopping me is work. This is the first thing I would like to do once I retire. If I don't own a motorglider by then, I will need a tow plane to follow me, which means will need sponsorship to cover some of the cost.
My plan is to fly coast to coast in 100% soaring. No racing involved. The start of each leg will need to be at the same spot of the end of last leg, or before. Start and end will need to follow FAI requirement for altitude loss to ensure a soaring flight and not a sled ride. Probably some minimum distance as well. Very simple. Some legs may need to be repeated entirely if landing in a field which not suitable for tow. The most important thing is 100% pure soaring from coast to coast. I don't believe this was ever done before.
I figure this is doable in one season, starting from California in May. If soaring conditions cooperate I think it is doable in 1 month or less. Sure it took Alby 6 years, but mostly since it was seating sometime the whole season waiting for tow plane/qualified pilot/crew/perfect weather all to be available at the same time....
Assuming one can tow anytime and is qualified, all you need is good enough weather to make the next airport. Can't be too difficult.
The hardest part may be to find sponsorship?

Ramy

August 25th 16, 03:22 AM
Sounds like it might be a lot of fun. I agree the RTKH turned into a trailer race, and was quite tiring due to the schedule we had to keep.

Seems that most of the legs could be between established glider tow operations especially if we followed the RTKH path. Start could be Santa Ynez with a remote start over the ocean. When we need to launch at a non-glider operation, it should be possible to arrange for a nearby tow pilot to meet us..

Dan Marotta can chime in about some safaris he's done using auto tow, which would be another option at some locales.

5Z

On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 10:37:00 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
> I've been thinking about it ever since I participated in the return to Kitty Hawk race, which
> turned into a trailer race at some point.
-snip-
> Assuming one can tow anytime and is qualified, all you need is good enough weather to
> make the next airport. Can't be too difficult.
> The hardest part may be to find sponsorship?

Dan Marotta
August 25th 16, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the plug, Tom.

My former partner, Walt, and I took our LS-6a on two safaris. One one
we used his Jeep Grand Cherokee and on the other we used my F-150
truck. On both we used a 1,000' rope for ground launch. We alternated
flying one day and pulling the trailer the next and every flight was
straight out. I did one other safari using a friend's self launch
ASW-24E, everything else being the same.

We were always met with enthusiasm at every airport we visited,
including Gallup, NM and Durango, CO. Regional air carriers always
offered to hold for us to land but that was never a problem as we always
had altitude to spare at destination. We always held departure for the
regionals to get about their business. It's a terrific time, but not
many people seem interested in trying it. That's too bad...

My wife and I are planning some straight out flights in our Stemme. Of
course there are a lot fewer logistical concerns (other than baggage).

Dan

On 8/24/2016 8:22 PM, wrote:
> Sounds like it might be a lot of fun. I agree the RTKH turned into a trailer race, and was quite tiring due to the schedule we had to keep.
>
> Seems that most of the legs could be between established glider tow operations especially if we followed the RTKH path. Start could be Santa Ynez with a remote start over the ocean. When we need to launch at a non-glider operation, it should be possible to arrange for a nearby tow pilot to meet us.
>
> Dan Marotta can chime in about some safaris he's done using auto tow, which would be another option at some locales.
>
> 5Z
>
> On Tuesday, August 23, 2016 at 10:37:00 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
>> I've been thinking about it ever since I participated in the return to Kitty Hawk race, which
>> turned into a trailer race at some point.
> -snip-
>> Assuming one can tow anytime and is qualified, all you need is good enough weather to
>> make the next airport. Can't be too difficult.
>> The hardest part may be to find sponsorship?

--
Dan, 5J

Google