PDA

View Full Version : Akaflieg Arnold Winter 2017

Bob Kuykendall
December 21st 16, 12:45 AM
Just FYI, we're convening another one of our Akaflieg gatherings at our Arnold, CA 95223 workshop 21 through 27 January 2017. As at previous such events, we have dorm-style accommodation at a rustic cabin (with WiFi, of course), with catering and a guest speaker in the field. We charge $75/day, which includes materials, accommodations, and dinner and breakfast. You can attend for as many or as few days as you want.

At our Akaflieg events you learn that making high-performance aircraft from high-tech composites is something that pretty much anybody can do. You learn hands-on techniques for making large parts with a variety of materials including carbon fiber, Kevlar, and fiberglass. If you've ever thought about designing or building your own high-performance aircraft, these sessions are an invaluable look into the process.

For this session we will be concentrating on making a set of carbon sandwich wing skins, and we may even get so as far as installing the wing spars in the upper skins. The last time we did a wing skin, it went something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzEZ7yoDzMM

Our guest speaker this time will Paulo Iscold, the man behind the Anequim racing airplane and Nixus sailplane projects. Look those up and prepare your list of questions about cutting-edge aeronautics for the Q&A. The date for the guest lecture is as yet TBD, but will be between Monday the 23rd and Thursday the 26th.

There are currently only a few slots available, so earlier would be better if you're thinking of being interested in attending.

Here's the Facebook page for the event: https://www.facebook.com/events/335703193452266/

Feel free to email me at: bob at hpaircraft dot com

Thanks, Bob K.
https://www.facebook.com/HP-24-Sailplane-Project-200931354951/

Google