PDA

View Full Version : Cobra trailer lettering paint?

Steve Koerner
February 11th 17, 05:19 PM
I'm considering touching up over the painted-on lettering on my trailer. What paint is appropriate? Other related advise? Thanks.

February 11th 17, 06:19 PM
Steve,

For what it's worth, my Cobra lettering is a decal. I can't address the painted-on question, but I can say that I had a printing shop duplicate the font and size. I removed the old decal lettering with the help of a hair dryer.

One could consider this "other related advise" per your post.

Best of luck making the trailer prettier.

Raul Boerner
DM

Mike the Strike
February 13th 17, 02:21 AM
On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 11:19:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Steve,
>
> For what it's worth, my Cobra lettering is a decal. I can't address the painted-on question, but I can say that I had a printing shop duplicate the font and size. I removed the old decal lettering with the help of a hair dryer.
>
> One could consider this "other related advise" per your post.
>
> Best of luck making the trailer prettier.
>
> Raul Boerner
> DM

I've had two newish Cobra trailers - both aluminium top - one had decals (see your local store!), the other paint. Decals are easier and fade faster but are easy to replace. Never had one long enough to have to fix its paint.

The Euro's down - time for a new glider, Steve?

Mike

JS
February 13th 17, 04:15 AM
On Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 6:21:05 PM UTC-8, Mike the Strike wrote:
> On Saturday, February 11, 2017 at 11:19:52 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > For what it's worth, my Cobra lettering is a decal. I can't address the painted-on question, but I can say that I had a printing shop duplicate the font and size. I removed the old decal lettering with the help of a hair dryer.
> >
> > One could consider this "other related advise" per your post.
> >
> > Best of luck making the trailer prettier.
> >
> > Raul Boerner
> > DM
>
> I've had two newish Cobra trailers - both aluminium top - one had decals (see your local store!), the other paint. Decals are easier and fade faster but are easy to replace. Never had one long enough to have to fix its paint.
>
> The Euro's down - time for a new glider, Steve?
>
> Mike

Or just get a "wrap" on the trailer fin box like Bruno had on his ASW20.
Jim

February 20th 17, 02:19 PM
I have painted the faded rubber strip on the side of a couple of Cobras. Mask it off with 2" masking tape then aim the spray can down wile holding a peace of cardboard to catch any over-spray on the bottom. Ace rattle-can in red or blue...........makes the old girl look new again!

Another Cobra trick...........lifting the fuselage tail was killing my back.. The tail weight is a function of fuselage saddle location, so I moved the saddle aft about 3" and lifting the tail became much easier. My saddle is held in place with 2 arms that go up to the forward lift fittings........I shortened these arms and re-drilled the pivot holes at the saddle. Good idea to re-check nose cone fit.
JJ

David Salmon[_3_]
February 20th 17, 03:13 PM
At 17:19 11 February 2017, Steve Koerner wrote:
>I'm considering touching up over the painted-on lettering on my trailer.
>What paint is appropriate? Other related advise? Thanks.

On the advice of a painter and decorator friend, we have just re-painted
ours using Zinsser uc and 123 topcoat. It says gloss, but it is more of a
silk finish.
Can't comment yet, only just completed. Though I said "we", in fact he
painted it for us.
Dave

Bob Kuykendall
February 21st 17, 11:22 PM
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:19:56 AM UTC-8, wrote:
> I have painted the faded rubber strip on the side of a couple of Cobras...

I have found that the perfect stuff for that is a rattle can product called "Krylon Fusion." Sticks well to flexible (and not-so-flexible) plastics.

--Bob K.

Google