PDA

View Full Version : Felixstowe Flying Boats pics [14/16] - Felixstowe-F-Large4.jpg (1/1)

Miloch
August 31st 16, 11:26 PM

Jess Lurkin[_10_]
August 31st 16, 11:47 PM
Miloch > wrote in
:

> begin 644 Felixstowe-F-Large4.jpg
>
> Attachment decoded: Felixstowe-F-Large4.jpg
> `
> end

Now wait just a minute! I've got a pretty
bad pair of peepers in my head, but it looks
like this thing has opposite rotating props.
Am I seing things? I thought that design was
thrown out at the drawing board level.

---

Miloch
September 1st 16, 12:26 AM
In article >, Jess Lurkin says...

:

>> begin 644 Felixstowe-F-Large4.jpg
>>
>> Attachment decoded: Felixstowe-F-Large4.jpg
>> `
>> end
>>

>Now wait just a minute! I've got a pretty
>bad pair of peepers in my head, but it looks
>like this thing has opposite rotating props.
>Am I seing things? I thought that design was
>thrown out at the drawing board level.

Not unusual...classic P-38 had 'em. Google "counter rotating propellers" for
lots of links.

*

Jess Lurkin[_10_]
September 1st 16, 01:11 AM
Miloch > wrote in
:

:

>>> begin 644 Felixstowe-F-Large4.jpg
>>>
>>> Attachment decoded: Felixstowe-F-Large4.jpg
>>> `
>>> end
>>>

>>Now wait just a minute! I've got a pretty
>>bad pair of peepers in my head, but it looks
>>like this thing has opposite rotating props.
>>Am I seing things? I thought that design was
>>thrown out at the drawing board level.
>>

> Not unusual...classic P-38 had 'em. Google "counter rotating
> propellers" for lots of links.

Hmmm. Thanks for that.
Never noticed it on the 38s!
I *am* going blind!

---

Savageduck[_3_]
September 1st 16, 02:09 AM
On 2016-09-01 00:11:16 +0000, Jess Lurkin > said:

> Miloch > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >, Jess Lurkin says...
>>>
>>> Miloch > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Now wait just a minute! I've got a pretty
>>> bad pair of peepers in my head, but it looks
>>> like this thing has opposite rotating props.
>>> Am I seing things? I thought that design was
>>> thrown out at the drawing board level.
>>>

>> Not unusual...classic P-38 had 'em. Google "counter rotating
>> propellers" for lots of links.
>

> Hmmm. Thanks for that.
> Never noticed it on the 38s!
> I *am* going blind!

My father always said that the P-38 counter rotating props were one of
the things which made the P-38 a great plane to fly. He would always
talk of being able to take off with both feet off the pedals (not that
he made a habit of that) and make a smooth torque free take off. It
also made taxiing easier than it was with the P-40, the P-39 (two
planes he hated) and the P-47.
He said the big difference in the various P-38 models came when the "J"
and "L" models added aileron boost it was like having power steering,
making handling much more nimble. Before that he said the P-38E need a
fair amount of muscle on the yoke.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Miloch
September 1st 16, 03:59 AM
In article >, Jess Lurkin says...

:

:

>>>Now wait just a minute! I've got a pretty
>>>bad pair of peepers in my head, but it looks
>>>like this thing has opposite rotating props.
>>>Am I seing things? I thought that design was
>>>thrown out at the drawing board level.
>>>

>> Not unusual...classic P-38 had 'em. Google "counter rotating
>> propellers" for lots of links.
>

>Hmmm. Thanks for that.
>Never noticed it on the 38s!
>I *am* going blind!

The downside, of course, is maintenance. Although port and starboard engines
share common parts, there are others unique to each engine...crankshafts for
example.

SNAFU creeps in...you might have a needed part for an engine that needs the part
but it's for the port engine not the starboard engine and therefore useless to
you.

*

Google