PDA

View Full Version : Pacific War In Color, pt 5 - F 6F-3 Hellcat fighter makes condensation rings USS Yorktown.jpg (1/1)

Mitchell Holman[_9_]
April 1st 17, 01:31 PM

Savageduck[_3_]
April 3rd 17, 02:29 AM
On 2017-04-01 05:31:19 -0700, Mitchell Holman > said:

> <image>

The wrong assumpion was made regarding "making condensation rings".
Those are not condensation rings, but the yellow prop tips caught in
motion due to the "rolling shutter" effect with the camera being used.

This is very common with cameras with rolling shutters of electronic
shutters. These days most noticable with cameras in smart phones and
current videoCams.
Here are some extreme examples of the same phenomenon.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Bob (not my real pseudonym)[_2_]
April 3rd 17, 08:18 AM
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 18:29:30 -0700, Savageduck
> wrote:

>On 2017-04-01 05:31:19 -0700, Mitchell Holman > said:
>

>> <image>
>
>The wrong assumpion was made regarding "making condensation rings".
>Those are not condensation rings, but the yellow prop tips caught in
>motion due to the "rolling shutter" effect with the camera being used.
>
>This is very common with cameras with rolling shutters of electronic
>shutters. These days most noticable with cameras in smart phones and
>current videoCams.
>Here are some extreme examples of the same phenomenon.

Must disagree. The image shows condensation vortices forming at the
propeller tips in the moist ocean air. Technically, they are helices
(spirals) rather than rings.

An example I photographed 42 years ago (!) of an AC-130A taking off
from McChord AFB.

The phenomenon you describe can also be seen in older photos taken
with film cameras with slower shutter mechanisms, causing propeller
blades to appear bent.

Savageduck[_3_]
April 3rd 17, 08:36 AM
On 2017-04-03 00:18:55 -0700, "Bob (not my real pseudonym)"
> said:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 18:29:30 -0700, Savageduck
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2017-04-01 05:31:19 -0700, Mitchell Holman > said:
>>

>>> <image>
>>
>> The wrong assumpion was made regarding "making condensation rings".
>> Those are not condensation rings, but the yellow prop tips caught in
>> motion due to the "rolling shutter" effect with the camera being used.
>>
>> This is very common with cameras with rolling shutters of electronic
>> shutters. These days most noticable with cameras in smart phones and
>> current videoCams.
>> Here are some extreme examples of the same phenomenon.
>
> Must disagree. The image shows condensation vortices forming at the
> propeller tips in the moist ocean air. Technically, they are helices
> (spirals) rather than rings.
>
> An example I photographed 42 years ago (!) of an AC-130A taking off
> from McChord AFB.
>
> The phenomenon you describe can also be seen in older photos taken
> with film cameras with slower shutter mechanisms, causing propeller
> blades to appear bent.
>
> <image>

I guess we shall just have to agree to disagree.
Even in the photo you provided, you have demonstrated a shutter effect
rather than capturing prop induced condensation.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Google