PDA

View Full Version : Decathlon for towplane??

Deputy Dog
February 21st 04, 05:45 PM
Anyone out there have any experience with using a Decathlon for a tug?

I have towed with Citabria 7GCBC and wonder how it would compare since
it has symetrical (sp?) airfoil vs. the flat bottom of the Citabria.

Got a buddy considering both.

-Deputy Dog

SNOOP
February 22nd 04, 04:16 PM
Having also towed with the 150 hp Citabria, and having flown the 180
hp Decatholon, I would think the Decathalon would make a good towplane
for a small club. The only pitfalls I could see might be the extra
maintenance of the constant speed prop. It would be best as a one
pilot towplane. A large organization would tear it up.

Otherwise the it's a simple, well constructed airframe, easy to fly,
and when you can't soar you could go out and fly around upside down.

Have fun!
(Deputy Dog) wrote in message >...
> Anyone out there have any experience with using a Decathlon for a tug?
>
> I have towed with Citabria 7GCBC and wonder how it would compare since
> it has symetrical (sp?) airfoil vs. the flat bottom of the Citabria.
>
> Got a buddy considering both.
>
> -Deputy Dog

Chris Rollings
February 23rd 04, 07:59 AM
We towed with a 150 hp Citabria quite a lot back in
the 70's - acceptable, but didn't perform as well as
a 150 hp Super Cub.

I would expect a 180 hp Decathlon to be similarly worse
than a 180 hp Super Cub. The constant speed prop would
help a bit, but might make noise a serious issue if
you are operation in an area where that matters.

(Deputy Dog) wrote in message news:...
>> Anyone out there have any experience with using a
>>Decathlon for a tug?
>>
>> I have towed with Citabria 7GCBC and wonder how it
>>would compare since
>> it has symetrical (sp?) airfoil vs. the flat bottom
>>of the Citabria.
>>
>> Got a buddy considering both.
>>
>> -Deputy Dog

MikeYankee
February 24th 04, 01:09 AM
Decathlons have less span than Citabrias and a symmetrical airfoil. They would
probably tow OK but not will not climb as well as either a Citabria, PA-18,
Husky, etc. with the same power.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Google