PDA

View Full Version : Anyone get hassled for exceeding max car and trailer length?

Gordon Boettger
June 26th 17, 04:38 AM
Looking at getting an RV (25' length). Combine that with a doubleseater glider trailer and I'm at 60'. I'm in NV, so I'm good, but going into OR I would be 10" over the legal limit. Anyone out there run into any issues with the "fuzz" for exceeding combined vehicle and trailer length?
Thanks

Tom Kelley #711
June 26th 17, 05:13 AM
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 9:38:48 PM UTC-6, Gordon Boettger wrote:
> Looking at getting an RV (25' length). Combine that with a doubleseater glider trailer and I'm at 60'. I'm in NV, so I'm good, but going into OR I would be 10" over the legal limit. Anyone out there run into any issues with the "fuzz" for exceeding combined vehicle and trailer length?
> Thanks

Am 73 feet overall. Been going all over the USA since 2003. Never any problem....yet. Coach is 40 ft with motorcycle lift on back pulling a Cobra trailer with a 18 meter inside. Been in California and Oregon several times...Canada also.

Best. Tom #711.

noel.wade
June 26th 17, 08:05 AM
I don't have a ton of experience with long rigs; but in years of towing glider trailers and race cars up and down the west coast I've always found that the Fuzz care much more about your speed (especially in OR) and whether you use the left lane (prohibited in several western states; you're not even allowed to use it to pass).

Good luck with your new rig!

--Noel

Duster[_2_]
June 26th 17, 09:35 AM
Though several references state the Oregon limit is well beyond your 60' combo, I think you meant you'd be 10' over a 50' max (not 10")? Nevertheless, some references have it as a 65' max, with some selected highways 60', 50' or shorter. As for Mr. Kelly driving well over most state's combo limit for many years and getting away with it. Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife? Are you sure your insurance company will pay physical/medical claims when the forensic police report discovers you were pulling a 73' rig? Good thing the adjusters are too dumb to perform a simple internet search to evidence your public boasting here in social media!

Tim Newport-Peace[_4_]
June 26th 17, 11:58 AM
At 08:35 26 June 2017, Duster wrote:
>Though several references state the Oregon limit is well beyond your 60'
>co=
>mbo, I think you meant you'd be 10' over a 50' max (not 10")?
>Nevertheless,=
> some references have it as a 65' max, with some selected highways 60',
>50'=
> or shorter. As for Mr. Kelly driving well over most state's combo limit
>fo=
>r many years and getting away with it. Have you thought about the risk
you
>=
>put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife? Are
>you=
> sure your insurance company will pay physical/medical claims when the
>fore=
>nsic police report discovers you were pulling a 73' rig? Good thing the
>adj=
>usters are too dumb to perform a simple internet search to evidence your
>pu=
>blic boasting here in social media!
>
In UK we are fortunate in having one law for the whole country!
And regardless of any UK national limit on length, Glider Trailers come
under an exemption as a "Normally Indivisible Load".

Bruce Hoult
June 26th 17, 01:30 PM
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 2:00:04 PM UTC+3, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
> At 08:35 26 June 2017, Duster wrote:
> >Though several references state the Oregon limit is well beyond your 60'
> >co=
> >mbo, I think you meant you'd be 10' over a 50' max (not 10")?
> >Nevertheless,=
> > some references have it as a 65' max, with some selected highways 60',
> >50'=
> > or shorter. As for Mr. Kelly driving well over most state's combo limit
> >fo=
> >r many years and getting away with it. Have you thought about the risk
> you
> >=
> >put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife? Are
> >you=
> > sure your insurance company will pay physical/medical claims when the
> >fore=
> >nsic police report discovers you were pulling a 73' rig? Good thing the
> >adj=
> >usters are too dumb to perform a simple internet search to evidence your
> >pu=
> >blic boasting here in social media!
> >
> In UK we are fortunate in having one law for the whole country!
> And regardless of any UK national limit on length, Glider Trailers come
> under an exemption as a "Normally Indivisible Load".

I hope you give the required two days notice to the police each time you use it :-)

Tom Kelley #711
June 26th 17, 02:29 PM
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 2:35:21 AM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
> Though several references state the Oregon limit is well beyond your 60' combo, I think you meant you'd be 10' over a 50' max (not 10")? Nevertheless, some references have it as a 65' max, with some selected highways 60', 50' or shorter. As for Mr. Kelly driving well over most state's combo limit for many years and getting away with it. Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife? Are you sure your insurance company will pay physical/medical claims when the forensic police report discovers you were pulling a 73' rig? Good thing the adjusters are too dumb to perform a simple internet search to evidence your public boasting here in social media!

Registered Florida. Federal laws allow travel, but not on all state highways/roads.

Florida Length:
48′ trailer (53′ semi-trailer must have kingpin setting of 41′ from center of kingpin to center of rear axle to be legal)
75′ overall length.

1500 pound trailer jackknifing a 35,000 pound motor home. Now really, LMAO!
Already been discussed with insurance. Not only one doing this.
Best. Tom #711.

June 26th 17, 02:41 PM
Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife?

OMG! Not just a baby's life, but a SLEEPING baby's life! Oh! The Humanity! Crawl back into your nice "Safe Place" and let the rest of the world actually DO something.

howard banks
June 26th 17, 03:05 PM
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:41:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife?
>
> OMG! Not just a baby's life, but a SLEEPING baby's life! Oh! The Humanity! Crawl back into your nice "Safe Place" and let the rest of the world actually DO something.

Mark, the panty-attired blossom forgot to add that the baby was sleeping (illegally) in the arms of a sweet grey-haired grandmother, and she was maimed too.

June 26th 17, 04:24 PM
It's all OK as long as you are towing with a Tost hook on your vehicle.
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:05:39 AM UTC-4, howard banks wrote:
> On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:41:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife?
> >
> > OMG! Not just a baby's life, but a SLEEPING baby's life! Oh! The Humanity! Crawl back into your nice "Safe Place" and let the rest of the world actually DO something.
>
> Mark, the panty-attired blossom forgot to add that the baby was sleeping (illegally) in the arms of a sweet grey-haired grandmother, and she was maimed too.

Tom Kelley #711
June 26th 17, 05:10 PM
On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:25:00 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> It's all OK as long as you are towing with a Tost hook on your vehicle.
> On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:05:39 AM UTC-4, howard banks wrote:
> > On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:41:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > > Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife?
> > >
> > > OMG! Not just a baby's life, but a SLEEPING baby's life! Oh! The Humanity! Crawl back into your nice "Safe Place" and let the rest of the world actually DO something.
> >
> > Mark, the panty-attired blossom forgot to add that the baby was sleeping (illegally) in the arms of a sweet grey-haired grandmother, and she was maimed too.

Better yet. Carry a tape measure. See, many years ago, a friend was towing his Nimbus 4 with his motor home. He got stopped in California somewhere. State trooper asked what length he was overall and he stated he didn't know but had a tape measure.
State trooper asked him if he could use it, my friend said sure and even helped him. My friend held the tape on the front of the motor home as the state trooper walked back to the end of the trailer. As the tape approached 65 ft. my friend just slid the tape back along side the motor home. Trooper asked what it read, he said 65 feet. All good and have a nice day!

Best. #711.

Duster[_2_]
June 27th 17, 01:10 AM
> Registered Florida. Federal laws allow travel, but not on all state highways/roads.
>
> Florida Length:
> 48′ trailer (53′ semi-trailer must have kingpin setting of 41′ from center of kingpin to center of rear axle to be legal)
> 75′ overall length.
>
> 1500 pound trailer jackknifing a 35,000 pound motor home. Now really, LMAO!
> Already been discussed with insurance. Not only one doing this.
> Best. Tom #711.

Gordon should be fine in Oregon most places like I said. In Florida the 75ft length is for a commercial tractor-trailer rig but for non-comm it's 65ft, putting %711 8ft over. But who cares, you're a rebel, right?

June 27th 17, 01:44 AM
But who cares, you're a rebel, right?

Yes, we are. That's why we play the "Star Spangled Banner" instead of "God Save The Queen."

Gordon Boettger
June 27th 17, 06:00 AM
Thanks all for the replies and most of all the humor tied to this boring subject I brought up. I'm good to go. Motorhome on the way!! See ya on the road and in the air.
Gordo

Paul B[_2_]
June 27th 17, 08:24 AM
On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 10:10:46 UTC+10, Duster wrote:
> > Registered Florida. Federal laws allow travel, but not on all state highways/roads.
> >
> > Florida Length:
> > 48′ trailer (53′ semi-trailer must have kingpin setting of 41′ from center of kingpin to center of rear axle to be legal)
> > 75′ overall length.
> >
> > 1500 pound trailer jackknifing a 35,000 pound motor home. Now really, LMAO!
> > Already been discussed with insurance. Not only one doing this.
> > Best. Tom #711.
>
> Gordon should be fine in Oregon most places like I said. In Florida the 75ft length is for a commercial tractor-trailer rig but for non-comm it's 65ft, putting %711 8ft over. But who cares, you're a rebel, right?

Oh, so it is OK to kill sleeping babies in Oregon then?

Cheers

Paul

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
July 20th 17, 02:03 PM
Duster wrote on 6/26/2017 1:35 AM:
> Though several references state the Oregon limit is well beyond your 60' combo, I think you meant you'd be 10' over a 50' max (not 10")? Nevertheless, some references have it as a 65' max, with some selected highways 60', 50' or shorter. As for Mr. Kelly driving well over most state's combo limit for many years and getting away with it. Have you thought about the risk you put on some sleeping baby's life or yours if you were to jackknife? Are you sure your insurance company will pay physical/medical claims when the forensic police report discovers you were pulling a 73' rig? Good thing the adjusters are too dumb to perform a simple internet search to evidence your public boasting here in social media!

Motorhomes are far more stable towing a glider trailer than any SUV or car. Even a
small one like I have - 25' long, 13,500lbs - totally controls the situation, and
my 2500' lb, 34' glider trailer is unnoticeable behind it. Often, the motorhome
driver's first hint there is a big problem with the trailer is an excited motorist
driving alongside him, pointing wildly to the rear!

I've dealt with the situation by adding a tire pressure monitoring system to my
motorhome. It monitors the 6 tires on the motorhome and the 2 on the trailer.

My motorhome and trailer are 59' long, which is, I believe, legal in every state.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Dec 2014a" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm

http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf

July 21st 17, 03:47 PM
Eric, which TPMS are you using? Any particular problems with the trailer tires?

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Craig Funston
July 21st 17, 04:21 PM
On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 7:47:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Eric, which TPMS are you using? Any particular problems with the trailer tires?
>
> Chip Bearden
> ASW 24 "JB"

Chip,
I know the question was for Eric, but I'll chime in anyways. After losing an inside dual and also setting at trailer tire on fire on the way to Nephi several years ago I invested in a TPMS.

Ended up going with the EEZRV TPMS and a variety of stem mounted sensors. It's working well on a 28' RV with an open class trailer behind it. The stem mounted sensors do mean that re-balancing the tires is a good idea after they're installed.

Craig Funston 7Q

July 21st 17, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Craig! The EEZRV is the one I was investigating. I don't have an RV but I've had tires go flat on my trailers behind a van. Often you can feel it, even see it if you're watching the rear view mirror closely. But at night, wind, passing trucks, and twisty roads can mask it until you've done rim damage. Curious to know who else uses this technology for glider trailers.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Karl Striedieck[_2_]
July 21st 17, 10:55 PM
Last century sometime there was a flap in Oregon concerning a vehicle law that prescribed the ratio of tow vehicle wheel base to trailer axle distance, and all glider towing rigs flunked. Maybe that one went away or is ignored?

A TPMS is a must have item for me, as I can't see, hear or feel what's going on back there. It's saved a couple tires/fenders.

KS

joesimmers[_2_]
July 22nd 17, 01:47 AM
Is the EEZRV TMPS a good one to go with for personal vehicle/ glider trailer combo also or is this mainly for motorhomes/glider trailers?

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
July 27th 17, 04:14 AM
wrote on 7/21/2017 7:47 AM:
> Eric, which TPMS are you using? Any particular problems with the trailer tires?
>
> Chip Bearden
> ASW 24 "JB"

I use Pressure Pro, no repeater needed, as the trailer tire sensors show up on the
display with no problems. I bought the Pressure Pro over 8 years ago when choices
were limited, have no complaints, but might make a different choice if I was
starting over today.

I now use extended valve stems (NOT valve extenders) on the motorhome tires to
make it easier to install the sensors and (rarely) adjust tire pressures.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Dec 2014a" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm

http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf

Google