PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Compensated Vario - opinion

July 11th 17, 07:29 PM
I want to purchase a Electronic Compensated Vario for a glider without the plumbing for a TE tube. I do not want to add the plumbing :)

I don't need fancy - nor navigation or way-points....... just a good audio Vario :)

Any experience out there????

WH

July 11th 17, 08:42 PM
If you don't have a really accurate pitot and static system (i.e. realistically a pitot/static double probe) then you will be unlikely to get decent electronic total energy.

kirk.stant
July 11th 17, 09:24 PM
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 2:42:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> If you don't have a really accurate pitot and static system (i.e. realistically a pitot/static double probe) then you will be unlikely to get decent electronic total energy.

I currently use a Westerboer VW1020 set to electronic TE in my LS6. Love it, I think it's better than my SN10 hooked up to an Ilec TE probe - itself not a bad system.

Factory statics.

On sale at W & W ... (no affiliation).

Kirk

John Cochrane[_3_]
July 12th 17, 01:43 AM
Clear nav vario works great with pitot/static connections.

Tim Taylor
July 12th 17, 05:26 AM
On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 12:29:48 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> I want to purchase a Electronic Compensated Vario for a glider without the plumbing for a TE tube. I do not want to add the plumbing :)
>
> I don't need fancy - nor navigation or way-points....... just a good audio Vario :)
>
> Any experience out there????
>
> WH

The 302 is good on electronic compensation.

July 13th 17, 06:25 PM
A TE probe approximates the pitot pressure but subtracted rather than added to the static pressure. No reason not to use separate pitot and static pressures and combine them electronically. The TE probe was the solution back when vane type mechanical varios were the only option.

The best audio vario I've ever had, in terms of sound, was an old electronic "RICO VACS" from Redwood Instruments. It had electronic TE. The "ticks" it made, with both increasing frequency and pitch as lift got stronger, where easy to hear with low volume. Very weak lift sounded like an occasional tick. It was so easy to hear that I tried it in a powered plane and could hear it over the engine noise. Alas the 1970's electronics failed some time in the 2000's. I wish some current designs adopted its sound scheme, instead of annoying beeps.

July 13th 17, 06:43 PM
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 10:25:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> A TE probe approximates the pitot pressure but subtracted rather than added to the static pressure. No reason not to use separate pitot and static pressures and combine them electronically. The TE probe was the solution back when vane type mechanical varios were the only option.
>
> The best audio vario I've ever had, in terms of sound, was an old electronic "RICO VACS" from Redwood Instruments. It had electronic TE. The "ticks" it made, with both increasing frequency and pitch as lift got stronger, where easy to hear with low volume. Very weak lift sounded like an occasional tick. It was so easy to hear that I tried it in a powered plane and could hear it over the engine noise. Alas the 1970's electronics failed some time in the 2000's. I wish some current designs adopted its sound scheme, instead of annoying beeps.

I agree with your comments about the RICO audio. I had one back in the day and the ticks were easy to hear and not annoying like the modern beeps and warbles. The vario itself wasn't very good, though...

Jonathan St. Cloud
July 13th 17, 08:13 PM
That brings back memories, those ticks were easy to hear, to understand and didn't take up so much ambient noise, a short tick has more information than a longish beep or other tones.

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 10:25:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> A TE probe approximates the pitot pressure but subtracted rather than added to the static pressure. No reason not to use separate pitot and static pressures and combine them electronically. The TE probe was the solution back when vane type mechanical varios were the only option.
>
> The best audio vario I've ever had, in terms of sound, was an old electronic "RICO VACS" from Redwood Instruments. It had electronic TE. The "ticks" it made, with both increasing frequency and pitch as lift got stronger, where easy to hear with low volume. Very weak lift sounded like an occasional tick. It was so easy to hear that I tried it in a powered plane and could hear it over the engine noise. Alas the 1970's electronics failed some time in the 2000's. I wish some current designs adopted its sound scheme, instead of annoying beeps.

Waveguru
July 13th 17, 08:27 PM
I would opt for light applause in light lift turning into raucous clapping, stomping and cheering I'm strong lift. In sink it would start with low moaning and progress to loud puking sounds. I suggested this to. Adler but he wasn't impressed with the idea...

Boggs

John Carlyle
July 13th 17, 08:30 PM
Interesting! A club glider had a Rico - I found the sound so irritating that I only flew the glider once.

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:13:26 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> That brings back memories, those ticks were easy to hear, to understand and didn't take up so much ambient noise, a short tick has more information than a longish beep or other tones.
>
> On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 10:25:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > A TE probe approximates the pitot pressure but subtracted rather than added to the static pressure. No reason not to use separate pitot and static pressures and combine them electronically. The TE probe was the solution back when vane type mechanical varios were the only option.
> >
> > The best audio vario I've ever had, in terms of sound, was an old electronic "RICO VACS" from Redwood Instruments. It had electronic TE. The "ticks" it made, with both increasing frequency and pitch as lift got stronger, where easy to hear with low volume. Very weak lift sounded like an occasional tick. It was so easy to hear that I tried it in a powered plane and could hear it over the engine noise. Alas the 1970's electronics failed some time in the 2000's. I wish some current designs adopted its sound scheme, instead of annoying beeps.

July 13th 17, 09:42 PM
People do differ in taste. Since the modern varios are computer controlled, they could offer a variety of sound schemes to choose from, and even allow customization. When I hear somebody talking on the radio, and the beeping of their vario is as loud in the transmission as their voice, I shudder at the thought of being subject to that in the cockpit for the whole flight. Of course, the vario volume control does offer a modicum of "customization".

July 13th 17, 09:44 PM
This is the perfect vario sound for those students who insist on circling in sink.

July 14th 17, 12:10 AM
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:27:25 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
> I would opt for light applause in light lift turning into raucous clapping, stomping and cheering I'm strong lift. In sink it would start with low moaning and progress to loud puking sounds. I suggested this to. Adler but he wasn't impressed with the idea...
>
> Boggs

I've always pined for Ride of the Valkyries synchronized to the vario. Wagner scares the hell out of the sink...

Dave Nadler
July 14th 17, 01:02 AM
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 3:27:25 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
> I would opt for light applause in light lift turning into raucous clapping,
> stomping and cheering I'm strong lift. In sink it would start with low
> moaning and progress to loud puking sounds.
> I suggested this to. Adler but he wasn't impressed with the idea...

If you're referring to me, IIRC your suggestion was rather more risque...

July 14th 17, 04:38 PM
Our club 1-34 has my old Rico VACS installed in it and I enjoy thermalling it. The SN10B I use in the Ventus has several different tones to choose from but the standard "warble" works well for me definitely enjoy the 10+ konts up sound 😎

August 9th 17, 12:30 PM
I have available for sale a LX100 electfonic vario, complete with flask, removed in perfect condition, pls email for pictures and manual.

cheers,
Andy
Glasflugel Mosquito ZK-GKK

Google