PDA

View Full Version : Pawnee Mirrors, Fuselage Mounted - Where to buy please?

Shane Neitzey
July 26th 17, 03:06 PM
After many years of service, both of our fuselage mounted rear view mirrors are failing. The mechanic who installed them said they were made by TOST. They resemble automotive side view mirrors.
Anyone know where I can get a pair? Easy now <grin>

July 26th 17, 03:33 PM
We simply make a trip to the local auto salvage yard. Our mirrors are 1960 vintage pickup truck mirrors.

Phila Glider Council

July 27th 17, 04:03 AM
We use a slightly parabolic mirror mounted on the wing jury strut with a mount formed to fit from 2024T3 aluminum of about a 0.040" thickness. Use suitable abrasion protection on the strut. Seems to work well.

Shane Neitzey
July 27th 17, 01:28 PM
We also have the strut mirrors, but not nearly as good as the fuselage mounted mirrors.

Waveguru
July 27th 17, 02:25 PM
It would be nice to replace the mirrors with a camera, something simple, cheap, and reliable? Mirrors have such a limited view.

Boggs

Dan Marotta
July 27th 17, 03:53 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Backup-Camera-VEIPAO-TFT-LCD/dp/B06Y2GBCQC/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1501167148&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=rear+view+camera&psc=1

On 7/27/2017 7:25 AM, Waveguru wrote:
> It would be nice to replace the mirrors with a camera, something simple, cheap, and reliable? Mirrors have such a limited view.
>
> Boggs

--
Dan, 5J

July 27th 17, 03:57 PM
Oh boy, now we get to start on critiquing cameras and LCD monitors visible in sunlight!

July 28th 17, 01:27 PM
On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 10:06:52 AM UTC-4, Shane Neitzey wrote:
> After many years of service, both of our fuselage mounted rear view mirrors are failing. The mechanic who installed them said they were made by TOST.. They resemble automotive side view mirrors.
> Anyone know where I can get a pair? Easy now <grin>

Our Pawnee tow plane is probably one of the nicest flying today, I installed two very nice black mirrors on either side where the old hopper used to sit. The mirrors are like the ones on the early Shelby Mustang, they look really nice. I considered installing a video camera system that would have been mounted on top of the aircraft but decided it would be a big distraction for the tow pilot. A nice set of mirrors and a good radio does a good job. Bob

Google