PDA

View Full Version : Final Glide, Sam Francis

Roy B.
August 11th 17, 11:21 PM
Friends:
I am saddened to report that Sam Francis, age 91, of Marion Massachusetts passed away on August 4. Sam was a mainstay of Soaring in New England for over a quarter of a century, an FAA Designated Examiner, the SSA Director for Region One and an SSA Officer and Committee Chair for several years. He was a noted Open Class competition pilot flying first a K8 and later an Open Cirrus and a Nimbus 2. Sam was instrumental in bringing the SSA Convention to Hartford CT in 1984 and had a career long association with the MIT Soaring Association which he greatly helped in its formative years.

The family is planning a memorial service in the near future.

Good Finish, Sierra Fox
ROY

CindyB[_2_]
August 16th 17, 06:35 AM
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 3:21:39 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
> Friends:
> I am saddened to report that Sam Francis, age 91, of Marion Massachusetts passed away on August 4. Sam was a mainstay of Soaring in New England for over a quarter of a century, an FAA Designated Examiner, the SSA Director for Region One and an SSA Officer and Committee Chair for several years. He was a noted Open Class competition pilot flying first a K8 and later an Open Cirrus and a Nimbus 2. Sam was instrumental in bringing the SSA Convention to Hartford CT in 1984 and had a career long association with the MIT Soaring Association which he greatly helped in its formative years.
>
> The family is planning a memorial service in the near future.
>
> Good Finish, Sierra Fox
> ROY

Sam was always a gracious man to a newbie in soaring. When I was on SSA staff, he was helpful, generous and patient. He was a steady influence as a Board member and officer. I hope he had a gentle passing and send wishes to his family to know he had friends on the opposite end of the continent in soaring.

Thank you for posting the news.

Cindy B

Google