PDA

View Full Version : Innodyn turbines

Paul Folbrecht
July 5th 04, 06:14 PM
Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
205hp turnbine for $30K?

I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
KIS Cruiser.

~Paul Folbrecht
~PP-SEL
~C152 89795
~MWC

July 5th 04, 08:31 PM
What would be the pros and cons of turbine power for the experimental pilot?

Turbines are supposed to be more reliable - but this is a brand-new engine,
so the two factors kind of cancel out for me.

Wouldn't it be really really loud also?

"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
> Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
> 205hp turnbine for $30K?
>
> I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
> KIS Cruiser.
>
> ~Paul Folbrecht
> ~PP-SEL
> ~C152 89795
> ~MWC

Dave S
July 5th 04, 10:12 PM
This isnt entirely a new engine. It is based heavily on the Solar T-62.
What IS new is the fuel control unit. This engine was featured in an
article within the past 2 years in an RV4 as a test bed.

Dave

x wrote:

> What would be the pros and cons of turbine power for the experimental pilot?
>
> Turbines are supposed to be more reliable - but this is a brand-new engine,
> so the two factors kind of cancel out for me.
>
> Wouldn't it be really really loud also?
>
> "Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
>
>>Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
>>205hp turnbine for $30K?
>>
>>I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
>>KIS Cruiser.
>>
>>~Paul Folbrecht
>>~PP-SEL
>>~C152 89795
>>~MWC

UltraJohn
July 5th 04, 10:15 PM
>> Wouldn't it be really really loud also?
>
> Lots of lurking round here taught me
> that turbines need frequent (every 500 hrs or so?)
> and expensive overhauls

I'm not real knowledgeable on the topice but I had heard just the opposite
that the overhaul period was quite long, that they do need a intermittent
hot section inspections. I'd be curious to hear from someone that works on
them as to their normal average overhaul/maintenance times and how the
maintenance would cost compared to a recip.
John
KR-2 2% complete for the last 8 years ;-)

Paul Folbrecht
July 5th 04, 11:11 PM
x wrote:
> What would be the pros and cons of turbine power for the experimental pilot?
>
> Turbines are supposed to be more reliable - but this is a brand-new engine,
> so the two factors kind of cancel out for me.

Well, reliability was certainly what I was thinking. Big appeal for me
there. Perhaps you're right that the limited track record of this
particular engine negates that advantage, but turbines are just so
stinkin simple.

> Wouldn't it be really really loud also?

Dunno. We do know that it would be smoooooth compared to our wonderful
Lycs with their 35lb pistons slamming back and forth.

Hopefully by the time I get around to building an airplane there'll be
plenty of field experience with powerplants such as these.

Oh yeah, though, I misspoke about the RV-10 - I think the power
requirements are too high there.

> "Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
>
>>Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
>>205hp turnbine for $30K?
>>
>>I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
>>KIS Cruiser.
>>
>>~Paul Folbrecht
>>~PP-SEL
>>~C152 89795
>>~MWC

Paul Folbrecht
July 5th 04, 11:14 PM
> Lots of lurking round here taught me
> that turbines need frequent (every 500 hrs or so?)
> and expensive overhauls

Where the heck did you get that? Turbines in general have far higher
TBOs than IC engines - and this co. is estimating 5,000 hours for
theirs, with a cost something like $10K.

> Also the US of A would not be the best place
> to exploit their advantages to the full
> Europe with its expensive avgas
> might be a better place
> Yet Europe produces several promising diesel
> aircraft engines (Thielert, Wilksh, Aerodiesel &C)
> but to my knowledge no small turboprops
>
> my 2 eurocents,
> KA

July 6th 04, 12:53 AM
> Oh yeah, though, I misspoke about the RV-10 - I think the power
> requirements are too high there.

No, there's a 255HP listed on their website. I was wondering why you didn't
choose that instead of the 205HP.

http://innodyn.com by the way.

It's interesting that you specify an operating RPM value when you buy your
engine (2000, 2250, 2500, 2750, 3000, or 3600). They recommend 2750 for
aircraft. Seems like you could choose different prop diameter and RPM
combos, depending on your mission (big slow prop vs. little fast prop)?

> > "Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
> >>205hp turnbine for $30K?
> >>
> >>I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
> >>KIS Cruiser.
> >>
> >>~Paul Folbrecht
> >>~PP-SEL
> >>~C152 89795
> >>~MWC

Kyle Boatright
July 6th 04, 02:35 AM
"Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
> Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
> 205hp turnbine for $30K?
>
> I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
> KIS Cruiser.
>
> ~Paul Folbrecht
> ~PP-SEL
> ~C152 89795
> ~MWC

This brings to mind the fact that a lot more airplanes crash for lack of
fuel than because of mechanical related engine failures. You're trading
something like 2x the fuel burn for <potentially> more mechanical
reliability...

KB

Paul Folbrecht
July 6th 04, 03:41 AM
Not twice. They claim 13gph. That's not too shabby at all. And I'm
never gonna run out of fuel - that is NOT one of my concerns. I worry
about the issues I have no direct control over.

Kyle Boatright wrote:

> "Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
>
>>Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
>>205hp turnbine for $30K?
>>
>>I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
>>KIS Cruiser.
>>
>>~Paul Folbrecht
>>~PP-SEL
>>~C152 89795
>>~MWC
>

> This brings to mind the fact that a lot more airplanes crash for lack of
> fuel than because of mechanical related engine failures. You're trading
> something like 2x the fuel burn for <potentially> more mechanical
> reliability...
>
> KB

Kyle Boatright
July 6th 04, 12:02 PM
I pulled this comment (Dated June, 2004) from the RV-list archives:

Quote:
At SNF this spring I asked the ATP guy what speed & fuel burn they are
now getting in their RV-4 now that they have fixed the exhaust angle. He
said that they were burning 14gph at 140 mph. I believe that the hp
required to fly a -4 at 140 mph is well under 100.
Endquote.

Bottom line is that a converted military APU isn't going to have anywhere
near the fuel consumption of a modern turbine like the Allison, and even the
Allison still can't match the Lycoming...

KB

"Richard Riley" > wrote in message
> The operative word here is "claim."
>
> The best that Allison can do with the 250 is an SFC of .61-.67.
> That's with four to six-stage axial, one-stage centrifugal
> compressors, a two-stage low pressure turbine, and a two-stage high
> pressure turbine. If they really think they can get SFC comparable to
> piston engines, they're deluded or lying.
>
> On their old ATP webpage they're listing an SFC of down to .46.
> That's insane.
>
> In short, yes, it's too good to be true.
>
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 02:41:13 GMT, Paul Folbrecht
> > wrote:
>
> :Not twice. They claim 13gph. That's not too shabby at all. And I'm
> :never gonna run out of fuel - that is NOT one of my concerns. I worry
> :about the issues I have no direct control over.
> :
> :
> :Kyle Boatright wrote:
> :
> :> "Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in
message
> :> ...
> :>
> :>>Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
> :>>205hp turnbine for $30K?
> :>>
> :>>I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
> :>>KIS Cruiser.
> :>>
> :>>~Paul Folbrecht
> :>>~PP-SEL
> :>>~C152 89795
> :>>~MWC
> :>
> :>
> :> This brings to mind the fact that a lot more airplanes crash for lack
of
> :> fuel than because of mechanical related engine failures. You're
trading
> :> something like 2x the fuel burn for <potentially> more mechanical
> :> reliability...
> :>
> :> KB
> :>
> :>

mich
July 6th 04, 02:44 PM
1) Innodyn is ATP under a new name http://www.innodyn.com/aviation/news.html

2) ATP was not a good company. This is a letter from the head of a successful
kit plane company to his customers. I'm not using his name or the name of the
airplane since I haven't asked for his permission to repost it, but if you email
me (do the obvious substitutions) I'll forward you the original.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To anyone who is remotely interested in purchasing an engine from ATP -
Affordable Turbine Power - LISTEN UP!
What follows may save you $10,000 (or more)!
ATP is selling "snake oil" as far as my opinion goes.
Several ********* customers have placed orders and deposits for ATP engines -
and have been the victims of broken promises and outright fraud.
One ******* customer placed a $12,000 deposit with ATP towards a +300hp
version of their experimental turbine - waited to the promised delivery
date - called for the delivery - and was told by the "good" folks at ATP
that:
a. They discontinued development of the 300 hp version of the engine
b. They had no immediate plans to renew development of the 300 hp engine
c. Despite the written order form that guaranteed all deposits would be
escrowed - ATP nevertheless spent his deposit, and
d. They have no plans to refund his deposit.
To add insult to injury, this ******* builder had purchased a constant
speed propeller that works (for all intent and purposes) on a turbine
engine - so he is also "out" the money he invested in the propeller.
This is not an isolated case. Another ******* customer that I spoke with
ALSO lost a substantial amount of money due to the fact that ATP could not
provide an engine and would not return his deposit.

In the last edition of AOPA's ePilot, it had an announcement piece promoting
ATP. I wrote to the editor of ePilot and told him about the fraud this
company has committed and gave him the names of two ******* customers who
were cheated by ATP. The editor followed through - and attempted to reach
ATP for comment. They (ATP) refuse to talk with him. The customers did
talk with AOPA and told them what happened.

One year ago ATP had a booth at Sun n Fun showing their ATP powered RV.
Between SnF and Oshkosh the aircraft added (what is reported to be) less
than 10-hours of flight time. Think about that. 10-hours of flight time in
4-months. If I were selling a new engine - turbine or otherwise - I would
hardly boast about 10-hours of operation in 4-months. Something was (and
is) obviously amiss.

Incredibly, I am contacted by ******* customers who have talked with ATP
.... and ATP believe it or not, is giving ******* as a reference! What
balls!

After SnF 2003, ATP went "underground" at last years Oshkosh and this years
SnF. They did not have a booth, but they did promote their "fantastic,
everybody needs to have one turbine engine" at an obscure Cub display. ATP,
you will find, is not in the show program.

These people have the lowest business ethics. If you are fool enough to
give them your money, they are happy to take it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

In article >, Paul Folbrecht says...

>Not twice. They claim 13gph. That's not too shabby at all. And I'm
>never gonna run out of fuel - that is NOT one of my concerns. I worry
>about the issues I have no direct control over.
>

>Kyle Boatright wrote:
>
>> "Paul Folbrecht" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Anybody have any experience?? Yet?? Is it too good to be true - a
>>>205hp turnbine for $30K?
>>>
>>>I'm thinking of putting one in an RV-10. Or a Glastar Sportsman. Or a
>>>KIS Cruiser.
>>>
>>>~Paul Folbrecht
>>>~PP-SEL
>>>~C152 89795
>>>~MWC
>>

>> This brings to mind the fact that a lot more airplanes crash for lack of
>> fuel than because of mechanical related engine failures. You're trading
>> something like 2x the fuel burn for <potentially> more mechanical
>> reliability...
>>
>> KB

Paul Folbrecht
July 6th 04, 05:40 PM
Ouch! Useful information indeed!

So, between this and the information about fuel burn (from someone who
obviously knows a lot more about turbines than me), "too good to be
true" does seem the appropriate phrase.

mich wrote:

> 1) Innodyn is ATP under a new name http://www.innodyn.com/aviation/news.html
>
> 2) ATP was not a good company. This is a letter from the head of a successful
<snip>

Dave S
July 6th 04, 07:36 PM
ATP was compelled to change their name by some other organization/issue.
They chose the name Innodyn. I have been in an online interest group
regarding this engine since the time that it WAS known as ATP.

Dave

Catboy wrote:
> Are you sure that was this engine? I thought that was the ATP (Affordable
> Turbine Power) engine, which is based on the Solar.
>
> In article et>, Dave S
> says...
>
>>This isnt entirely a new engine. It is based heavily on the Solar T-62.
>>What IS new is the fuel control unit. This engine was featured in an
>>article within the past 2 years in an RV4 as a test bed.
>>
>>Dave
>>
>>x wrote:
>>

>>>What would be the pros and cons of turbine power for the experimental pilot?
>>>
>>>Turbines are supposed to be more reliable - but this is a brand-new engine,
>>>so the two factors kind of cancel out for me.
>>>
>>>Wouldn't it be really really loud also?

Google