PDA

View Full Version : "Glider Bob" Saunders, Telluride Flying Memorial

August 28th 17, 03:01 PM
http://www.telluridenews.com/news/article_8e736c28-8811-11e7-b834-0b257b86152a.html

Courtesy Mark Arnold

-Gary Osoba

Jonathan St. Cloud
August 28th 17, 04:27 PM
What a terrible loss. Any idea what caused this mishap?

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 7:01:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> http://www.telluridenews.com/news/article_8e736c28-8811-11e7-b834-0b257b86152a.html
>
> Courtesy Mark Arnold
>
> -Gary Osoba

Renny[_2_]
August 28th 17, 09:17 PM
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 9:27:11 AM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> What a terrible loss. Any idea what caused this mishap?
>
> On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 7:01:12 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> > http://www.telluridenews.com/news/article_8e736c28-8811-11e7-b834-0b257b86152a.html
> >
> > Courtesy Mark Arnold
> >
> > -Gary Osoba

Jonathan - There is a preliminary report on the NTSB site, but a final report has not as yet been released.

AS
August 29th 17, 01:41 PM
On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 10:01:12 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> http://www.telluridenews.com/news/article_8e736c28-8811-11e7-b834-0b257b86152a.html
>
> Courtesy Mark Arnold
>
> -Gary Osoba

In the early '90, Glider Bob came through PA on a Stemme demo-tour. I flew with him in this magic machine and since the weather prevented him from flying on to his next stop, he stayed at my house for a few days until it cleared up. We bumped into each other at the conventions here and there to 'chew the fat and swap lies'.
On July 1st, I flew my un-Stemme from Montrose over the Telluride valley and gave him my fare-well salute.
R.I.P., Bob!

Uli
'AS'

Dan Marotta
August 30th 17, 05:19 PM
I flew the photo ship (Number 7 in the flight of 7 Stemmes) from
Montrose to Telluride.Â* We formed up enroute to Ridgeway, north of the
mountains from Telluride, then flew over a saddle at 14,500' MSL.Â* As we
crossed the mountains, we shutdown our engines and formed a circle over
the east end of town.Â* We circled several times until descending to
12,500' and then broke out in line astern to the west.Â* The last ship
dropped Glider Bob's ashes over Bridal Veil Falls.Â* My wife, Patti, was
on the ground and, with a borrowed camera, took the signature photo of
the release of the ashes. Hopefully, you can see it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hs9cwieg33fvvs2/GB%20Ashes.JPG?dl=0

It was an honor to have been a part of that flight.

--
Dan, 5J

Google