PDA

View Full Version : Fligth Time Calculator

September 16th 17, 03:29 PM
Hi,

every now and then, we all have this chore of updating the flight book and the pilot log book with these hard to calculate hours and minutes.

So several years ago, I made a web page for that. But that was even cumbersome, so now I have made an Android app for it, minimizing the number of key strokes needed.

Feel free to use it yourself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.johny.flightcalc

Johny

September 16th 17, 04:25 PM
On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:29:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> every now and then, we all have this chore of updating the flight book and the pilot log book with these hard to calculate hours and minutes.
>
> So several years ago, I made a web page for that. But that was even cumbersome, so now I have made an Android app for it, minimizing the number of key strokes needed.
>
> Feel free to use it yourself.
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.johny.flightcalc
>
> Johny

Post your flights to OLC. Instant total flight time and a "flight book" with totals that you can download into Excel.
J7

Paul B[_2_]
September 16th 17, 04:41 PM
Thanks Jonny

That is very useful, good for adding up instructing time etc.

Cheers

Paul

Tony[_5_]
September 16th 17, 10:17 PM
Keep an eye on that Herb, I think the flight time that OLC reports is sometimes the length of time the flight recorder was on, not the flight time.

2G
September 17th 17, 03:32 AM
I has always worked for me. Post a link to a flight that was miscalculated.

Tom

Tom Kelley #711
September 17th 17, 03:58 AM
On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 8:32:55 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
> I has always worked for me. Post a link to a flight that was miscalculated.
>
> Tom

Tony is right. The OLC flight book shows not only when the recorder is first turned on and but when it is finally turned off. Check your flight with SeeYou, you will see. All of my flights on the OLC flight book show when the logger is first powered and are at least 15 to 20 minutes longer when I am on the ground, out of the glider and starting to clean and download the flight before I turn off battery power to the logger's off.

At least that's how my OLC flight book works.

Best. Tom #711.

JD Williams
September 17th 17, 04:02 AM
The olc detail page has the correct flight time info, but the logbook does not. I use 3 min increments and go digital but .05. Much easier.
JD

Dan Marotta
September 17th 17, 03:50 PM
And you log flight time while you're cleaning the bugs off the wings???

Good thing the chicks andÂ* money aren't calculated based upon flight time...

Since my Air Force days, I've always logged flight time using tenths of
hours.Â* Works well enough for me (and the chicks).

--
Dan, 5J

Tom BravoMike
September 17th 17, 07:12 PM
Initially, I didn't understand what it was for. Once launched, it's quite simple and straightforward. Great tool, thanks.

BTW, I use Flugbuch/Flight Logbook from JFAndroid (Google Play Store) as my electronic logbook. Great features, clean simple screens, automatic logging and recognition (by GPS) of launch/landing airfields from its own database, cloud copy, simple printing in a table form, great filters to check your time in a specific year, model etc. The only missing thing is XC distance flown.

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:29:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> every now and then, we all have this chore of updating the flight book and the pilot log book with these hard to calculate hours and minutes.
>
> So several years ago, I made a web page for that. But that was even cumbersome, so now I have made an Android app for it, minimizing the number of key strokes needed.
>
> Feel free to use it yourself.
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.johny.flightcalc
>
> Johny

September 18th 17, 03:56 PM
Funny Tom, OLC seems to only show the time that they count for scoring for me. IE it shows from release to landing only. I am using the Powerflarm or SN10 for logging so maybe thats why as they dint start the logger until you are moving, and stop when you stop.

CH

Tom Kelley #711
September 18th 17, 04:55 PM
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 8:56:42 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> Funny Tom, OLC seems to only show the time that they count for scoring for me. IE it shows from release to landing only. I am using the Powerflarm or SN10 for logging so maybe thats why as they dint start the logger until you are moving, and stop when you stop.
>
> CH

Cliff, we are using the OLC "Flight book". When you look on the page which shows the flight trace and scoring details, those times will be different than what the flight book shows.

Best. Tom.

Tom Kelley #711
September 18th 17, 05:13 PM
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 8:56:42 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> Funny Tom, OLC seems to only show the time that they count for scoring for me. IE it shows from release to landing only. I am using the Powerflarm or SN10 for logging so maybe thats why as they dint start the logger until you are moving, and stop when you stop.
>
> CH

Cliff, I went to your flight on 9-3. On the details page, the altitude flight trace below the route trace, it shows when you turned on your logger(when the green starts) and when you turned it off(green ends). Those times are what the Flight book shows. You can also see your takeoff time, when soaring started and landing ends time. Do this by moving the cursor line across the chart to check these times and altitude readout of that chart at the top of the chart.

I have 3 loggers, a 302, Powerflarm and ClearNV, all display the same.

Best. Tom

Tom Kelley #711
September 18th 17, 06:20 PM
On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 8:56:42 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> Funny Tom, OLC seems to only show the time that they count for scoring for me. IE it shows from release to landing only. I am using the Powerflarm or SN10 for logging so maybe thats why as they dint start the logger until you are moving, and stop when you stop.
>
> CH

Cliff, I looked at your flight on 9-3. When the green starts at on the flight detail Altitude chart and green ends at, that should be what the flight book shows. Can you check that?

I went back several year's to when I only used my 302 as a logger and posted my OLC flights with it. It appears that it show's start of takeoff to landing times in my flight book. Now am using a ClearNv logger and it show's power on/off times in my flight book. These times are shown as when the green first appears and ends on the details page altitude chart.
Now am wondering if I adjust the flight time when the OLC first opens the flight, will this new adjusted time be used in the flight book? Hmmm..Will try next time I fly.

September 18th 17, 10:59 PM
Hi all,

just a few notes for those of you using the OLC for your flight recording.

The reasons that I do not use OLC for that purpose, is that I don't want to pollute OLC with all the short flights I have as an instructor in the club trainer, which are also done without IGC recording. (I use my other Android app, StartList, for recording those). The response times on OLC can be quite slow already if you hit the German rush hour.

Also be aware, that the OLC time is the "Wertungsdauer" i.e. only that part of the flight that gives you points. So if you start your turbo to get home, that part of the flight is not counted. You have to download the Excel sheet, there the total duration of the flight can be seen.

And back to the purpose of the FlightCalc tool: It is not for capturing your time, it is only to help you summarize those times in the fastest possible way I could come up with. There is no way I can do this so fast in Excel, one hurdle being that I don't know how to make Excel showing more than 24 hours, and I have flown a little bit more than that :-)

Here in Denmark we have to enter these times manually in the plane's logbook and in the pilot's logbook using old fashioned ink, so electronic logbooks is of little help here.

Good flights to all,
Johny

David Sherrill
September 23rd 17, 09:53 PM
To correctly format time differences greater than 24 hours in MS Excel, select "Custom" for the cell format and enter "[h]:mm". Using this format,

9/1/17 9:00 AM becomes 996417:00
9/3/17 3:00 PM becomes 996471:00
and their difference is 54:00.

Cheers
...david

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 5:59:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just a few notes for those of you using the OLC for your flight recording..
>
> The reasons that I do not use OLC for that purpose, is that I don't want to pollute OLC with all the short flights I have as an instructor in the club trainer, which are also done without IGC recording. (I use my other Android app, StartList, for recording those). The response times on OLC can be quite slow already if you hit the German rush hour.
>
> Also be aware, that the OLC time is the "Wertungsdauer" i.e. only that part of the flight that gives you points. So if you start your turbo to get home, that part of the flight is not counted. You have to download the Excel sheet, there the total duration of the flight can be seen.
>
> And back to the purpose of the FlightCalc tool: It is not for capturing your time, it is only to help you summarize those times in the fastest possible way I could come up with. There is no way I can do this so fast in Excel, one hurdle being that I don't know how to make Excel showing more than 24 hours, and I have flown a little bit more than that :-)
>
> Here in Denmark we have to enter these times manually in the plane's logbook and in the pilot's logbook using old fashioned ink, so electronic logbooks is of little help here.
>
> Good flights to all,
> Johny

September 26th 17, 10:27 PM
Thanks David, nice to know. In Denmark it is "[tt]:mm" then.
Johny

Google