PDA

View Full Version : Bio on Heini Dittmar

Arnie
April 16th 04, 09:43 AM
I'm trying to find out what happened to Heini Dittmar after WWII.
He was a famous german glider pilot, and the first official Soaring World
Champion in 1937.
He was also the first test pilot of the Me-163 during WWII, his name is
usually associated with that project and with Lippisch and his flying wings,
as well as being a friend of Hanna Reitsch.
A search on the web returns only references to these facts and it appears
that his death was announced on the June '60 Obituaries of Soaring magazine.

I found nothing else, such as what happened to him after his accident with
the Me-163, what did he do after the war, where did he spend his later
years.
If someone has the June 1960 issue of Soaring, it may contain a brief bio on
him.

Regards,

A.

Claudia Buengen
April 22nd 04, 10:43 PM
Hi,

all I could find on the web was that apparently after the war he
designed the Condor, built by Alexander Schleicher and based on a
pre-war design.

Apart from that I only found the same things you'd found...

Claudia

Arnie wrote:
> I'm trying to find out what happened to Heini Dittmar after WWII.
> He was a famous german glider pilot, and the first official Soaring World
> Champion in 1937.
> He was also the first test pilot of the Me-163 during WWII, his name is
> usually associated with that project and with Lippisch and his flying wings,
> as well as being a friend of Hanna Reitsch.
> A search on the web returns only references to these facts and it appears
> that his death was announced on the June '60 Obituaries of Soaring magazine.
>
> I found nothing else, such as what happened to him after his accident with
> the Me-163, what did he do after the war, where did he spend his later
> years.
> If someone has the June 1960 issue of Soaring, it may contain a brief bio on
> him.
>
> Regards,
>
> A.

Hannes Linke
April 25th 04, 02:43 AM
"Arnie" > wrote in message
. com...
> I'm trying to find out what happened to Heini Dittmar after WWII.
> He was a famous german glider pilot, and the first official Soaring World
> Champion in 1937.
> He was also the first test pilot of the Me-163 during WWII, his name is
> usually associated with that project and with Lippisch and his flying
wings,
> as well as being a friend of Hanna Reitsch.
> A search on the web returns only references to these facts and it appears
> that his death was announced on the June '60 Obituaries of Soaring
magazine.

> I found nothing else, such as what happened to him after his accident with
> the Me-163, what did he do after the war, where did he spend his later
> years.
> If someone has the June 1960 issue of Soaring, it may contain a brief bio
on
> him.
>
> Regards,
>
> A.
>
> When I lived in Kaufbeuren, Southern Bavaria, Germany in the '50s,my club
went to camp at Augsburg to fly at the Haunstetten Airfield. Heini Dittmar
was there flying his design "Möve". A single engine, high wing two seater,
side - by - side. I also saw him in 1956 fly a Condor 4 at an air show at
Munich - Oberwiesenfeld. During his aerobatic display he performed an
outside loop (forward).
Later in the '60s a Condor 4 was at our field and I had the opportunity to
fly it several times. A great machine.
I hope this helps a little...

Hannes Linke

Marcel Duenner
April 26th 04, 12:30 PM
"Arnie" > wrote in message >...
> I'm trying to find out what happened to Heini Dittmar after WWII.
> He was a famous german glider pilot, and the first official Soaring World
> Champion in 1937.
> He was also the first test pilot of the Me-163 during WWII, his name is
> usually associated with that project and with Lippisch and his flying wings,
> as well as being a friend of Hanna Reitsch.
> A search on the web returns only references to these facts and it appears
> that his death was announced on the June '60 Obituaries of Soaring magazine.
>
> I found nothing else, such as what happened to him after his accident with
> the Me-163, what did he do after the war, where did he spend his later
> years.
> If someone has the June 1960 issue of Soaring, it may contain a brief bio on
> him.
>
> Regards,
>
> A.

I guess you've seen this?