PDA

View Full Version : Removing oxidation from Cobra trailer trim rubber and plastic fenders

Dave Nadler
September 24th 17, 06:43 PM
I have an older Cobra with rubber trim strip (bottom edge of trailer top),
originally nice shiny red, now a bit dark and dull.

Anybody have a proven technique for getting the color back?

Similar for fenders?

Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

Roy B.
September 24th 17, 07:12 PM
Hi Dave:
On my Nimbus I masked the trim and hit it with Krylon brand "Fusion" spray paint. It bonds to plastic well. Also - Spindleberger sells replacement trim if you like.
Roy

Tom Kelley #711
September 24th 17, 07:13 PM
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 11:43:52 AM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
> I have an older Cobra with rubber trim strip (bottom edge of trailer top),
> originally nice shiny red, now a bit dark and dull.
>
> Anybody have a proven technique for getting the color back?
>
> Similar for fenders?
>
> Thanks,
> Best Regards, Dave

Remove and replace with new! Also known as how to end bore doom during winter months.

Best. #711.
Best.

Roy B.
September 24th 17, 07:17 PM
Spindleberger catalog calls it "protection stripe"

Tom Kelley #711
September 24th 17, 07:27 PM
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 12:17:05 PM UTC-6, Roy B. wrote:
> Spindleberger catalog calls it "protection stripe"

And Vendors here in USA sell this.

Best. #711.

Jim N
September 24th 17, 08:42 PM
On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 10:43:52 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
> I have an older Cobra with rubber trim strip (bottom edge of trailer top),
> originally nice shiny red, now a bit dark and dull.
>
> Anybody have a proven technique for getting the color back?
>
> Similar for fenders?
>
> Thanks,
> Best Regards, Dave

Use boat stuff avail at a place like West Marine. Suggest Inflatable Boat Cleaner

Jim

David Salmon[_3_]
September 24th 17, 10:55 PM
At 17:43 24 September 2017, Dave Nadler wrote:
>I have an older Cobra with rubber trim strip (bottom edge of trailer
top),
>originally nice shiny red, now a bit dark and dull.
>
>Anybody have a proven technique for getting the color back?
>
>Similar for fenders?
>
>Thanks,
>Best Regards, Dave

I painted mine when we re-painted the trailer.

Dave

September 25th 17, 08:32 AM
If you replace the trim use blue not red

September 25th 17, 02:40 PM
I did what Roy did, knock off the crud with wire brush and 80 grit sandpaper, then mask and shoot with rattle-can, changed to blue. I used 2" tape on top and a 3 foot piece of cardboard below the lip.......spraying 2 foot at a time with the can aimed down 45 degrees. I'm buffing the glass top now........good winter projects.
JJ

Dan Marotta
September 25th 17, 04:25 PM
Curious - why blue instead of red?Â* Something to do with solar radiation?

--
Dan, 5J

September 25th 17, 05:05 PM
It's a general phenomenon. Red paint/pigments etc reflect longer wavelengths and absorb more blue and UV. Blue reflects more blue and UV so it fades less. Blue cobra trim fades little. Red much more. In the UK some older red cars often become very faded (especially Vauxhall/Opels)

Dan Marotta
September 25th 17, 05:57 PM
Thanks!

On 9/25/2017 10:05 AM, wrote:
> It's a general phenomenon. Red paint/pigments etc reflect longer wavelengths and absorb more blue and UV. Blue reflects more blue and UV so it fades less. Blue cobra trim fades little. Red much more. In the UK some older red cars often become very faded (especially Vauxhall/Opels)

--
Dan, 5J

Google