PDA

View Full Version : Off topic - Metric Nuts

Paul Remde
May 4th 04, 03:19 PM
Hi,

This post is a bit off-topic, but it relates to the soaring goosenecks I
sell. The require M10 x 1mm pitch nuts. I've been trying for months to
find small, thin (3 mm or less) nuts for the goosenecks. All the US
suppliers I've contacted can supply metric nuts with the right inner
diameter and thread pitch, but they have all been 8 to 10 mm thick.

I'm posting this dilemma here because I know there are many resourceful
glider pilots and I'll bet that someone will be able to clue me in on a good
US source for these parts.

Please help! Please reply to my e-mail address so as not to bore the
readers of r.a.s. with this off-topic question.

Thank you,

Paul Remde

Bob Kuykendall
May 4th 04, 03:38 PM
Earlier, Paul Remde wrote:

>...All the US suppliers I've contacted
> can supply metric nuts with the right
> inner diameter and thread pitch, but
> they have all been 8 to 10 mm thick...

My two suggestions would be:

1. Try Mr. Metric in San Jose, CA:

http://www.mrmetric.com

2. Make a drawing of what you need and shop it out
on mfgquote.com. They'd be very easy to make by cutting
down the full-size nuts, and not too hard to make from
raw hex bar.

Bob K.

Mark Zivley
May 4th 04, 05:36 PM
GRINDER....

Paul Remde wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This post is a bit off-topic, but it relates to the soaring goosenecks I
> sell. The require M10 x 1mm pitch nuts. I've been trying for months to
> find small, thin (3 mm or less) nuts for the goosenecks. All the US
> suppliers I've contacted can supply metric nuts with the right inner
> diameter and thread pitch, but they have all been 8 to 10 mm thick.
>
> I'm posting this dilemma here because I know there are many resourceful
> glider pilots and I'll bet that someone will be able to clue me in on a good
> US source for these parts.
>
> Please help! Please reply to my e-mail address so as not to bore the
> readers of r.a.s. with this off-topic question.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Paul Remde

Vaughn Simon
May 4th 04, 05:37 PM
Ask this question at rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Remde" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This post is a bit off-topic, but it relates to the soaring goosenecks I
> sell. The require M10 x 1mm pitch nuts. I've been trying for months to
> find small, thin (3 mm or less) nuts for the goosenecks. All the US
> suppliers I've contacted can supply metric nuts with the right inner
> diameter and thread pitch, but they have all been 8 to 10 mm thick.
>
> I'm posting this dilemma here because I know there are many resourceful
> glider pilots and I'll bet that someone will be able to clue me in on a
good
> US source for these parts.
>
> Please help! Please reply to my e-mail address so as not to bore the
> readers of r.a.s. with this off-topic question.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Paul Remde

Shawn Curry
May 4th 04, 05:43 PM
Vaughn Simon wrote:

> Ask this question at rec.crafts.metalworking

Where's Lennie when you need him?

Paul Remde
May 4th 04, 06:14 PM
Hi,

A tip lead me to www.fastenerplace.com. He didn't have them in stock but he
ordered the parts I needed.

Thanks for the tip JC.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

"Paul Remde" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This post is a bit off-topic, but it relates to the soaring goosenecks I
> sell. The require M10 x 1mm pitch nuts. I've been trying for months to
> find small, thin (3 mm or less) nuts for the goosenecks. All the US
> suppliers I've contacted can supply metric nuts with the right inner
> diameter and thread pitch, but they have all been 8 to 10 mm thick.
>
> I'm posting this dilemma here because I know there are many resourceful
> glider pilots and I'll bet that someone will be able to clue me in on a
good
> US source for these parts.
>
> Please help! Please reply to my e-mail address so as not to bore the
> readers of r.a.s. with this off-topic question.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Paul Remde

Walter Kronester
May 5th 04, 01:01 AM
Hello Paul,
M10x1 is used for lamp sockets in Europe (as well as for hydraulic brakes).
Lamp sockets are often fixed with small (~2mm) M10x1 nuts.
So it may be better to look for electric part supliers than for screw shops.
--
Regards Walter

Rod
May 5th 04, 09:11 PM
Paul, I can probably find what you need at one of the local hardware stores
here in Switzerland.

Cheers,
Rod

Paul Remde
May 5th 04, 11:15 PM
Hi Rod,

Thanks! I found some metric nuts that are 5 mm tall, but I'd love a box of
100 if you can find some that are anywhere from 1 to 3 mm tall. They must
be M10 x 1mm (pitch).

Paul Remde

"Rod" > wrote in message
> Paul, I can probably find what you need at one of the local hardware
stores
> here in Switzerland.
>
> Cheers,
> Rod