PDA

View Full Version : wave over Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and W Pennsylvania today

Bob Mowry
May 5th 04, 12:14 AM
Anyone else notice this on today's visible satellite images/their ride
home from work? I was looking at:

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html

and it seems like this started to form later in the day and covered a
decent part of each of these states. I'm wondering if this wave was
induced by cloud street formation? Certainly given the lack of
geographic features in that part of the country it wasn't due to
mountains. I've noticed this once before this spring.

I don't think there's anyway to access an archive of today's visible
satellite images so I can't save away the little animated movie that
I'm looking at right now (1km resolution). If anyone knows a place
where these images are archived I'd love to get a link there.

It would probably also be difficult to get a tow to 20k feet in order
to try them out - however I have no idea exactly how high those clouds
really are.

-bob

Bob
May 5th 04, 03:06 PM
I noticed them yesterday afternoon on the way home from work (Detroit
suburbs)and wondered whether they were wave or really well defined
cloud streets with rounded tops. They were aligned with the wind
direction which led me to think that they were the latter.

Bob

(Bob Mowry) wrote in message >...
> Anyone else notice this on today's visible satellite images/their ride
> home from work? I was looking at:
>
> http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html
>
> and it seems like this started to form later in the day and covered a
> decent part of each of these states. I'm wondering if this wave was
> induced by cloud street formation? Certainly given the lack of
> geographic features in that part of the country it wasn't due to
> mountains. I've noticed this once before this spring.
>
> I don't think there's anyway to access an archive of today's visible
> satellite images so I can't save away the little animated movie that
> I'm looking at right now (1km resolution). If anyone knows a place
> where these images are archived I'd love to get a link there.
>
> It would probably also be difficult to get a tow to 20k feet in order
> to try them out - however I have no idea exactly how high those clouds
> really are.
>
> -bob

Google