PDA

View Full Version : Mylar seals installation

John W
May 5th 04, 05:24 PM
I have some almost new mylar seals that are coming unstuck.

Last year I had my wings at the shop. They got a new coat of wax and
new mylars were installed. I'm guessing the process of waxing and
the sticking of the mylars became somewhat merged, hence my current
problem.

So now I'm going to attempt to reinstall or replace them myself.

Is it ok to reuse mylars after proper cleaning? If so, how do you
get them perfectly clean? Is acetone all I need?

Do I need more than acetone and sandpaper to correctly prep the
gelcoat of my wing before installing new mylars?

I've heard silicone wash is recommended but have had no luck finding
it locally. Can anyone recommend a source for silicone wash?

Anyone have other recommendations or advice?

Thanks,
John

Derrick Steed
May 5th 04, 06:07 PM
>I have some almost new mylar seals that are coming unstuck.
>
>Last year I had my wings at the shop. They got a new coat of wax and
>new mylars were installed. I'm guessing the process of waxing and
>the sticking of the mylars became somewhat merged, hence my current
>problem.
>
>So now I'm going to attempt to reinstall or replace them myself.
>
>Is it ok to reuse mylars after proper cleaning? If so, how do you
>get them perfectly clean? Is acetone all I need?
>
>Do I need more than acetone and sandpaper to correctly prep the
>gelcoat of my wing before installing new mylars?
>
>I've heard silicone wash is recommended but have had no luck finding
>it locally. Can anyone recommend a source for silicone wash?
>
>Anyone have other recommendations or advice?
>
>Thanks,
>John

DO NOT PUT SILICONE ON YOUR GLIDER!!! It's a very bad idea with GRP.

You have to get the wax off before fitting the seals - you can do this by sanding or using acetone.

It is possible to refit the seals by using double sided tape

Rgds,

Derrick.

JJ Sinclair
May 5th 04, 09:03 PM
>Is it ok to reuse mylars after proper cleaning?

Yes, remove them without bending (creasing) a hair dryer may help, then remove
all the stickie stuff with acetone.

>get them perfectly clean? With acetone.

Sand 10mm strip, inside area with 220, do same on wing area where mylar goes,
then wipe everything down with acetone. I use a small roller to apply
considerable force on the mylar to insure good bonding to the stickie stuff.

Put on your transition tape and then wax.

JJ Sinclair

Google