http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=World%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe% 20Halt%20In%20Van%20Nuys%20Belly%20Landing

rj

Shawn Curry
May 7th 04, 08:38 PM
Ralph Jones wrote:
> Check this out:
>
> http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=World%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe% 20Halt%20In%20Van%20Nuys%20Belly%20Landing
>
> rj
Check what out? A site that doesn't load?

Mark Zivley
May 7th 04, 09:14 PM
Use Internet Explorer and it should load - B17 Gear collapse at slow
speed after landing at Van Nuys on news chopper video.

Shawn Curry wrote:

> Ralph Jones wrote:
>
>> Check this out:
>>
>> http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=World%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe% 20Halt%20In%20Van%20Nuys%20Belly%20Landing
>>

>> rj
>
> Check what out? A site that doesn't load?

Stewart Kissel
May 8th 04, 01:20 AM
Loaded fine for me, bummer a restored B17 having a
gear collapse on roll out.

At 19:54 07 May 2004, Shawn Curry wrote:
>Ralph Jones wrote:
>> Check this out:
>>
>> http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=Worl
>>>d%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe%20Halt% 20In%20Van%20Nuy
s%20Belly%20Landing

>> rj
>Check what out? A site that doesn't load?

Mark Zivley
May 8th 04, 02:23 PM
Very interesting that both mains collapsed at the exact same time. I'm
not familiar w/ the B17 design, but I'd guess that they are independant
mechanical mechanisms so I'd be suspicious of a control failure or
uncommanded or accidentally commanded retraction. I don't know if
jamming on the brakes could be a factor, but it didn't look like the
plane was moving in a manner that would have called for a sudden brake
application.

Ralph Jones wrote:
> Check this out:
>
> http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=World%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe% 20Halt%20In%20Van%20Nuys%20Belly%20Landing
>
> rj

Liam Finley
May 8th 04, 05:58 PM
Apparently the B-17 uses the same gear mechanism as the LS 3/4. Who knew.

Hope nobody was riding in the belly turret.

Mark Zivley > wrote in message >...
> Very interesting that both mains collapsed at the exact same time. I'm
> not familiar w/ the B17 design, but I'd guess that they are independant
> mechanical mechanisms so I'd be suspicious of a control failure or
> uncommanded or accidentally commanded retraction. I don't know if
> jamming on the brakes could be a factor, but it didn't look like the
> plane was moving in a manner that would have called for a sudden brake
> application.
>
> Ralph Jones wrote:
> > Check this out:
> >
> > http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=World%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe% 20Halt%20In%20Van%20Nuys%20Belly%20Landing
> >
> > rj

Jim Phoenix
May 8th 04, 11:49 PM
> > Very interesting that both mains collapsed at the exact same time. I'm
> > not familiar w/ the B17 design, but I'd guess that they are independant
> > mechanical mechanisms so I'd be suspicious of a control failure or
> > uncommanded or accidentally commanded retraction.

B-17 has a large electric (DC) motor with an angle drive gearbox on
the end driving the gear retraction/extension mechanism, if I recall
correctly (it's been about 20 years now) there's one in each gear
well. For both to retract as nicely as that, I would suspect an
electrical malfunction, maybe a relay or a short or some such thing -
can't remember how the electrics runs on those. They were used them in
the air tanker/spraying bidness right into the early '80's.

Jim

Ralph Jones
May 9th 04, 01:17 AM
The B-17 has gear and flap switches side by side...not in the least
difficult to flip the wrong one.

rj

On Sat, 08 May 2004 13:23:55 GMT, Mark Zivley >
wrote:

>Very interesting that both mains collapsed at the exact same time. I'm
>not familiar w/ the B17 design, but I'd guess that they are independant
>mechanical mechanisms so I'd be suspicious of a control failure or
>uncommanded or accidentally commanded retraction. I don't know if
>jamming on the brakes could be a factor, but it didn't look like the
>plane was moving in a manner that would have called for a sudden brake
>application.
>
>Ralph Jones wrote:
>> Check this out:
>>
>> http://kcbsimg.dayport.com/htm/cbs2player.htm?Art_ID=2643&tf=World%20War%20II%20Bomber%20Slides%20To%20Safe% 20Halt%20In%20Van%20Nuys%20Belly%20Landing