PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Parachutes & Retrofitting

John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL
May 7th 04, 06:22 PM
Please see my other thread on "Automatic Parachutes" in which I argue
that an automatic (static line) parachute is a good thing (except
maybe in the Andes!).

So here I sit owning a non-automatic parachute (a Strong 305). Can it
be converted to an automatic parachute? Can I simply add a (7m)
landyard from the glider's static line attachment point to the D ring?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Again, John DeRosa
http://skysoaring.com

Glider Humor => http://skysoaring.com/modules/gallery/gliderhumor

S Schwartz
May 8th 04, 02:23 AM
(John DeRosa Sky Soaring Chicago IL) wrote in message >...
> Please see my other thread on "Automatic Parachutes" in which I argue
> that an automatic (static line) parachute is a good thing (except
> maybe in the Andes!).
>
> So here I sit owning a non-automatic parachute (a Strong 305). Can it
> be converted to an automatic parachute? Can I simply add a (7m)
> landyard from the glider's static line attachment point to the D ring?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks Again, John DeRosa
> http://skysoaring.com
>
> Glider Humor => http://skysoaring.com/modules/gallery/gliderhumor

John,

Any mods to a parachute must be done by a licensed rigger & with the
manufacturers approved mod. I would a call into Bob Gilmore at Strong
in Flarida. He will tell you if it needs to be done by Strong or if
Strong can make the parts available to a licensed rigger in your area.

Jim Vincent
May 8th 04, 05:33 AM
>Can it
>be converted to an automatic parachute?

Yes it can, but only by a certified rigger. Look up the US Parachute
Association site at www.uspa.org to find one,

Can I simply add a (7m)
>landyard from the glider's static line attachment point to the D ring.

No you can't. The D ring of most, if not all US parachutes is not designed to
handle the sudden shock or strange pull direction of a static line deployment.
A static line is hooked directly to the container closure, eliminating the rip
cord. Perhaps they can coexist, but ask your rigger.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Google