PDA

View Full Version : IPAQ connection problems

Mark Brown
May 9th 04, 05:10 PM
Hi,

I posted a while back about having trouble connecting
and Ipaq 3950 to a volkslogger. I took the advice
on board but still cant get it to work. I downloaded
the TTY programme from the winpilot website and ran
it, the ipaq doesnt appear to be receiving any data.

Before I send the cable back as a dud can anyone shed
any light on the 'correct' setting for NMEA output
from the volkslogger?

Also for info, i have made sure all other programs
are closed the IR is turned off so nothing should be
interfering with the connection, however sometimes
i get a message saying that the serial port is allready
in use. This makes me think that cable is sending
data but the ipaq just isnt getting it properly. Any
light anyone can shed on this matter will be gratefully
received.

Many thanks

Mark Brown

Chet
May 9th 04, 05:29 PM
Mark,

About the only thing I can suggest is to check all the setting again! Make
sure you have no programs running on the Ipaq (to the extent of resetting
the Ipaq and ONLY installing WinPilot). Lastly, play with the declare
switch. I found that in the wrong position, you will get a message from
WinPilot.

I'm using a cable I purchase from Craggy Aero and WinPilot/Volkslogger./B50
and after I wired it up, it worked the first time. Perhaps you do have a bad
cable.

"Mark Brown" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I posted a while back about having trouble connecting
> and Ipaq 3950 to a volkslogger. I took the advice
> on board but still cant get it to work. I downloaded
> the TTY programme from the winpilot website and ran
> it, the ipaq doesnt appear to be receiving any data.
>

> Before I send the cable back as a dud can anyone shed
> any light on the 'correct' setting for NMEA output
> from the volkslogger?
>
> Also for info, i have made sure all other programs
> are closed the IR is turned off so nothing should be
> interfering with the connection, however sometimes
> i get a message saying that the serial port is allready
> in use. This makes me think that cable is sending
> data but the ipaq just isnt getting it properly. Any
> light anyone can shed on this matter will be gratefully
> received.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark Brown

RHP
May 9th 04, 10:13 PM
Mark

The Volkslogger NMEA setting is - - XX - - - -.

The tty should show the raw data even if the NMEA is incorrect, but
won't if the wiring is incorrect.

Give me a call maybe I can help you.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
530-905-0062

Mark Brown > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I posted a while back about having trouble connecting
> and Ipaq 3950 to a volkslogger. I took the advice
> on board but still cant get it to work. I downloaded
> the TTY programme from the winpilot website and ran
> it, the ipaq doesnt appear to be receiving any data.
>

> Before I send the cable back as a dud can anyone shed
> any light on the 'correct' setting for NMEA output
> from the volkslogger?
>
> Also for info, i have made sure all other programs
> are closed the IR is turned off so nothing should be
> interfering with the connection, however sometimes
> i get a message saying that the serial port is allready
> in use. This makes me think that cable is sending
> data but the ipaq just isnt getting it properly. Any
> light anyone can shed on this matter will be gratefully
> received.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark Brown

Henryk Birecki
May 11th 04, 01:46 AM
From your description some things are not clear, so I'll suggest you
check that you do not have pins 2 and 3 switched on the cable.

If this is not the problem you may want to try downloading a program
called VLtoIGC from Cumulus-Soaring. This is an iPaq (PDA) utility to
download flights and backup Volkslogger data base. It works around
some iPaq serial port driver problems that may be impeding your iPaq
to PDA connection.

Henryk Birecki

Mark Brown > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I posted a while back about having trouble connecting
>and Ipaq 3950 to a volkslogger. I took the advice
>on board but still cant get it to work. I downloaded
>the TTY programme from the winpilot website and ran
>it, the ipaq doesnt appear to be receiving any data.
>

>Before I send the cable back as a dud can anyone shed
>any light on the 'correct' setting for NMEA output
>from the volkslogger?

RHP
May 11th 04, 04:26 AM
Sorry Mark

The tty program for troubleshooting the connections can be downloaded
from the WinPilot Site http://www.winpilot.com/Faq.asp

Item 1

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Mark Brown > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I posted a while back about having trouble connecting
> and Ipaq 3950 to a volkslogger. I took the advice
> on board but still cant get it to work. I downloaded
> the TTY programme from the winpilot website and ran
> it, the ipaq doesnt appear to be receiving any data.
>

> Before I send the cable back as a dud can anyone shed
> any light on the 'correct' setting for NMEA output
> from the volkslogger?
>
> Also for info, i have made sure all other programs
> are closed the IR is turned off so nothing should be
> interfering with the connection, however sometimes
> i get a message saying that the serial port is allready
> in use. This makes me think that cable is sending
> data but the ipaq just isnt getting it properly. Any
> light anyone can shed on this matter will be gratefully
> received.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark Brown

Google