PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat and solvents

Nolaminar
May 12th 04, 05:16 PM
Are any solvents damaging to gelocat?
Xylene, lacquer thinner, gasoline, paint thinner?
GA

Phil Jeffery
May 13th 04, 09:03 AM
Yes

"Nolaminar" > wrote in message
> Are any solvents damaging to gelocat?
> Xylene, lacquer thinner, gasoline, paint thinner?
> GA

Robert Ehrlich
May 13th 04, 01:59 PM
Phil Jeffery wrote:

> Yes
>
> "Nolaminar" > wrote in message
> > Are any solvents damaging to gelocat?
> > Xylene, lacquer thinner, gasoline, paint thinner?
> > GA

We routinely remove traces of glue from adhesive tape
with gasoline (100 LL), and those from mylar seals with
aceton without any damage to the gelcoat.

Mark Zivley
May 13th 04, 02:13 PM
WD40 works well on tape residue too.

Robert Ehrlich wrote:
> Phil Jeffery wrote:
>
>>Yes
>>
>>"Nolaminar" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Are any solvents damaging to gelocat?
>>> Xylene, lacquer thinner, gasoline, paint thinner?
>>> GA
>>>

> We routinely remove traces of glue from adhesive tape
> with gasoline (100 LL), and those from mylar seals with
> aceton without any damage to the gelcoat.

BllFs6
May 13th 04, 02:57 PM
>WD40 works well on tape residue too.
>
>Robert Ehrlich wrote:
>> Phil Jeffery wrote:

For years I was a shade tree mechanic....fixing my cars, friends and families

And during engine rebuilds, I'd often use just gasoline and alot of elbow
grease to clean stuff up....

But you know what REALLY cleaned up stuff MUCH nicer, quicker, and easier than
gasoline? Not to mention being much safer and easier to work with?

Diesel fuel (and I suspect kerosene would be similiar).

Off hand you might think gas would be a much better solvent for getting grung
off...but the diesel was MUCH better and faster....at least on the stuff on and
in car engines...

So, maybe try diesel, and then use something like alchohol to remove the last
traces of diesel residue?

take care

Blll

Pete Reinhart
May 13th 04, 05:15 PM
Well,
Jet-A works like diesel and doesn't smell as bad.
Cheers!

"BllFs6" > wrote in message
> >WD40 works well on tape residue too.
> >
> >Robert Ehrlich wrote:
> >> Phil Jeffery wrote:
>
> For years I was a shade tree mechanic....fixing my cars, friends and
families

> And during engine rebuilds, I'd often use just gasoline and alot of elbow
> grease to clean stuff up....
>
> But you know what REALLY cleaned up stuff MUCH nicer, quicker, and easier
than
> gasoline? Not to mention being much safer and easier to work with?
>
> Diesel fuel (and I suspect kerosene would be similiar).
>
> Off hand you might think gas would be a much better solvent for getting
grung
> off...but the diesel was MUCH better and faster....at least on the stuff
on and
> in car engines...
>
> So, maybe try diesel, and then use something like alchohol to remove the
last
> traces of diesel residue?
>
> take care
>
> Blll

Eric Greenwell
May 13th 04, 06:04 PM
Nolaminar wrote:
> Are any solvents damaging to gelocat?
> Xylene, lacquer thinner, gasoline, paint thinner?

If I had this question, I'd ask someone like Bob Gaines...<smiley face>

I'm sure all of them "damage" the gel coat, but perceptible damage
depends on how often and how much, and the condition of the gel coat to
begin with. My experience is occasionally cleaning of tape residue or
transfer adhesive (mylar seals) isn't a problem, even after 10 years, on
gel coat that is in good condition to begin with. Some polishes for gel
coat, like Lesonal, are petroleum based anyway (I think so, but someone
that has a can of this with the label still on it, please check!).

Under what circumstances did you want to use the solvents?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Mike Lindsay
May 16th 04, 11:15 PM
In article >, Mark
Zivley > writes
>WD40 works well on tape residue too.
>
>Robert Ehrlich wrote:
>> Phil Jeffery wrote:
>>
>>>Yes

>> We routinely remove traces of glue from adhesive tape
>> with gasoline (100 LL), and those from mylar seals with
>> aceton without any damage to the gelcoat.

The handbook for our DG202 specifically warns against using
petrol/gasoline for cleaning.
--
Mike Lindsay

Google