PDA

View Full Version : Question, Diamond distance as unsuccessful triangle.

Roger
May 13th 04, 12:32 AM
I am trying to achieve diamond distance, 500km in the US. Let say I
also was going to declare a triangle with hopes of also qualifying for
the Hilton cup. I declare a 550km triangle, I make my two turnpoints
but do not make it back to my finish point but land out having flown a
total of 520km. Would this qualify for diamond distance? I did not
complete the triangle but I have documentation of having flown 520km.

I know it seems straightforward that it should qualify, but we are
dealing with FAI rules here. Does anybody know for certain the
answer?

Marc Ramsey
May 13th 04, 01:31 AM
Roger wrote:
> I am trying to achieve diamond distance, 500km in the US. Let say I
> also was going to declare a triangle with hopes of also qualifying for
> the Hilton cup. I declare a 550km triangle, I make my two turnpoints
> but do not make it back to my finish point but land out having flown a
> total of 520km. Would this qualify for diamond distance? I did not
> complete the triangle but I have documentation of having flown 520km.
>
> I know it seems straightforward that it should qualify, but we are
> dealing with FAI rules here. Does anybody know for certain the
> answer?

Yes, it would qualify, as Diamond distance is a simple "distance
flight", in which you may declare up to three turnpoints, and claim each
once, or not at all, in any sequence. You do not have to land back at
your home field, the distance is calculated from the start point, around
each claimed turnpoint in the sequence flown, to the finish point. You
could even declare some turnpoints, fly straight out, without going to a
single turnpoint, land 500+ km away, and still get your Diamond distance.

Marc

Google