PDA

View Full Version : GPS active antennas

Martin Gregorie
May 15th 04, 12:03 PM
For some reason there seems to be a rash of new third party active
flat antennas going cheap on eBay right now. Prices are around GBP
24.00 while retail prices range upward from GBP 35 or so.

I just bought one for my GPS II+, fitted it and flew it yesterday.
Works fine and is definitely giving a much better signal at the
receiver.

If you've considered fitting one of these, now might be a good time to
buy it.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

tango4
May 15th 04, 02:54 PM
"Martin Gregorie" > wrote in message
> For some reason there seems to be a rash of new third party active
> flat antennas going cheap on eBay right now. Prices are around GBP
> 24.00 while retail prices range upward from GBP 35 or so.
>
> I just bought one for my GPS II+, fitted it and flew it yesterday.
> Works fine and is definitely giving a much better signal at the
> receiver.
>
> If you've considered fitting one of these, now might be a good time to
> buy it.
>
> --
> martin@ : Martin Gregorie
> gregorie : Harlow, UK
> demon :
> co : Zappa fan & glider pilot
> uk :

If you pay £35 for an active GPS antenna the shopkeeper saw you coming!

Brand new, warantied, Trimble branded patch antennas can be had for under
Euro 20

For a compact helix antenna ( better than a patch ) with cable and
termination offering 24 dB gain you pay Euro 37

Ian

Martin Gregorie
May 15th 04, 07:38 PM
On Sat, 15 May 2004 13:54:38 +0000 (UTC), "tango4"
> wrote:

>"Martin Gregorie" > wrote in message
>> For some reason there seems to be a rash of new third party active
>> flat antennas going cheap on eBay right now. Prices are around GBP
>> 24.00 while retail prices range upward from GBP 35 or so.
>>
>> I just bought one for my GPS II+, fitted it and flew it yesterday.
>> Works fine and is definitely giving a much better signal at the
>> receiver.
>>
>If you pay £35 for an active GPS antenna the shopkeeper saw you coming!

Didn't see me coming: I saw his prices first. eBay has some uses after
all: it was a new unit too.

Seriously, it can be hard to find decent prices. I did what I thought
was a fairly extensive search and didn't find the Trimble unit: the
Gilsom on eBay was the best deal I found. In any case, compared with
the replacement cost of a GPS II+ passive antenna (extortionate - best
I can find is GBP 45 - 50) I reckon anything under GBP 30 for an
active antenna is acceptable.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK