PDA

View Full Version : Relay

David
July 19th 04, 11:33 PM
So I am putting a Batt relay on my plane and it is one that grounds out to
complete the circuit. Is it normal to have it get hot. Not to hot to touch
but pretty hot.

Richard Lamb
July 20th 04, 04:24 AM
David wrote:

> So I am putting a Batt relay on my plane and it is one that grounds out to
> complete the circuit. Is it normal to have it get hot. Not to hot to touch
> but pretty hot.

Could be a 'starter' relay.
That kind is intended for non-continuous duty.

But hard to guess trying to feel the screen...

Richard

John Ammeter
July 20th 04, 04:44 AM
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:24:07 GMT, Richard Lamb
> wrote:

>David wrote:
>>
>> So I am putting a Batt relay on my plane and it is one that grounds out to
>> complete the circuit. Is it normal to have it get hot. Not to hot to touch
>> but pretty hot.
>
>Could be a 'starter' relay.
>That kind is intended for non-continuous duty.
>
>But hard to guess trying to feel the screen...
>

>Richard

If I recall correctly and it's been about 15 years since I
built the RV-6... The Master Relay actuates by grounding a
lead. The Start Relay actuates by applying 12 DC positive
to the relay.

The Master is intended for continuous operation while the
Start is only for intermittent operation.

I don't recall the Master Relay getting hot but, then, I
didn't ever attempt to touch it after the engine was
operating...

John Ammeter

Barnyard BOb -
July 20th 04, 07:35 AM
"David" > wrote:

>So I am putting a Batt relay on my plane and it is one that grounds out to
>complete the circuit. Is it normal to have it get hot. Not to hot to touch
>but pretty hot.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Other's have weighed in with concerns that you may wrongly be
using a starter solenoid. They normally are grounded... and you
supply it with battery voltage.

OTOH...
What you describe that requires grounding to function, sounds
exactly like a bona fide batt relay and they do get quite warm....
but not so hot as to give your finger a blister.

Barnyard BOb -

Richard Lamb
July 20th 04, 12:29 PM
Barnyard BOb - wrote:

> "David" > wrote:
>
> >So I am putting a Batt relay on my plane and it is one that grounds out to
> >complete the circuit. Is it normal to have it get hot. Not to hot to touch
> >but pretty hot.
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
>
> Other's have weighed in with concerns that you may wrongly be
> using a starter solenoid. They normally are grounded... and you
> supply it with battery voltage.
>
> OTOH...
> What you describe that requires grounding to function, sounds
> exactly like a bona fide batt relay and they do get quite warm....
> but not so hot as to give your finger a blister.
>
> Barnyard BOb -

Aw rats. I do believe BooB is right.
Dam defective brain cells let me down again.

Richard (or what's left of him)

jls
July 20th 04, 04:11 PM
"Barnyard BOb -" > wrote in message

> "David" > wrote:
>
> >So I am putting a Batt relay on my plane and it is one that grounds out
> >complete the circuit. Is it normal to have it get hot. Not to hot to
touch
> >but pretty hot.
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
>
> Other's (sic) have weighed in with concerns that you may wrongly be
> using a starter solenoid. They normally are grounded... and you
> supply it with battery voltage.

For a relay to work, it is grounded. Matter of practicality. Otherwise
how would you complete the circuit?

> OTOH...
> What you describe that requires grounding to function, sounds
> exactly like a bona fide batt relay and they do get quite warm....
> but not so hot as to give your finger a blister.

When you run current through a wire coil and complete a circuit, in this
case an electromagnet contactor, a by-product is heat. Resistors make
heat. Unavoidable.

> Barnyard BOb -

Google