PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Nimbus experiences

April 8th 18, 02:33 PM
Spin Characteristics

Can those mini pilots that have experienced full multi rotation spins in the mini describe what caused the spin, the glider's configuration, the glider's behavior in a spin, and the steps they took to recover...

I've never spun my mini, N171XX, SN 103. Our club is about to initiate spin tramping in our new ASK 21s, so I would like to spin the mini if safe to do so.

Mike

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 8th 18, 07:00 PM
You ask 19 years later after last post?!?!

Hope you get a reply from the "OP's"......,

John Wells[_2_]
April 9th 18, 02:37 PM
I haven't experienced a fully developed spin, but I have taken it to
the wing drop stage. (A fully developed spin for me may be difficult
anyway as I'm right at the forward C of G limit).

I don't see why the standard recovery, as covered in the manual
wouldn't work -- just be prepared to push the flap level forward as
you recover so you don't exceed the max flaps speed.

I find the mushing stall quite strange in mine -- other than losing
elevator authority and the change in airflow sound, mine doesn't
give much away... the speed just bleeds off, and I haven't felt any
pre-stall buffet. Mine just seems to "hang there, " before suddenly
dropping a wing.

John

At 13:33 08 April 2018, wrote:
>Spin Characteristics
>
>Can those mini pilots that have experienced full multi rotation
spins in
>the mini describe what caused the spin, the glider's configuration,
the
>glider's behavior in a spin, and the steps they took to recover...
>
>I've never spun my mini, N171XX, SN 103. Our club is about to
initiate
>spin tramping in our new ASK 21s, so I would like to spin the mini
if safe
>to do so.
>
>Mike

Google