PDA

View Full Version : New owner - competition number

Senna Van den Bosch
April 10th 18, 07:23 PM
I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number, how are they chosen? Where can you register one?

Michael Opitz
April 10th 18, 07:37 PM
At 18:23 10 April 2018, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
>I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
>It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number,
how are
>they chosen? Where can you register one?

By the gliding organization in your country. Check with them as to
how they are given out.

RO

Dave Nadler
April 10th 18, 07:42 PM
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
> I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
> It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number,
> how are they chosen? Where can you register one?

In what country???

Dan Daly[_2_]
April 10th 18, 07:49 PM
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
> I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
> It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number, how are they chosen? Where can you register one?

What did you end up getting? Congratulations!

Senna Van den Bosch
April 11th 18, 07:34 AM
Op dinsdag 10 april 2018 20:49:30 UTC+2 schreef Dan Daly:
> On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
> > I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
> > It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number, how are they chosen? Where can you register one?
>
> What did you end up getting? Congratulations!

Found a lovely DG 101, price was low but needed a new radio so it's fair.

Senna Van den Bosch
April 11th 18, 07:34 AM
Op dinsdag 10 april 2018 20:42:42 UTC+2 schreef Dave Nadler:
> On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
> > I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
> > It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number,
> > how are they chosen? Where can you register one?
>
> In what country???

Belgium, in Europe.

Tango Whisky
April 11th 18, 08:02 AM
Le mercredi 11 avril 2018 08:34:23 UTC+2, Senna Van den Bosch a écritÂ*:
> Op dinsdag 10 april 2018 20:42:42 UTC+2 schreef Dave Nadler:
> > On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
> > > I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
> > > It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number,
> > > how are they chosen? Where can you register one?
> >
> > In what country???
>
> Belgium, in Europe.

Congratulations to your first glider!
As for competition numbers - most people put on what they like. You probably can register it with your national aeroclub (useful if somebody else shows up with the same competition number at a central contest), but that's up to you.

waremark
April 11th 18, 11:35 AM
I dont think anyone in the uk would contemplate using a competition number which they had not registered with the BGA.

April 11th 18, 01:19 PM
In many countries it's just a personal choice and decision, no registry involved. In such countries, if in a particular competition two sailplanes bear the same marks, the Competition Director will ask one of them to change his ID. As a CD in Italy, I might ask to the pilot with a shorter career to perform the change in "respect of the longer career", or I might ask the competitor who in my opinion has the easiest option to change his ID (i.e: AI can very easily be modified to AT, AF, AE etc.) to oblige. Or I may apply any other ideas in my "best" judgment.

In other countries (the UK and probably others), the national federation is responsible for keeping a registry of compID's.

Sporting rules for competitions usually prescribe that a competition ID (1-3 characters) must be clearly visible on both sides of the vertical fin. This should also be complemented with even larger characters under one wing. So, check the rules in your country and those of the countries where you will fly (maybe France and Germany for example), so that you do the work properly, once and for all.

If painted, in some countries a popular choice is to replicate the last 2 characters of the registration marking, so if you sell your glider, the compID may simply continue with the new owner (i.e: D-KABC -> "BC").
Other pilots have such strong ties with their ID that they'll use the same for all their career (think Giorgio Galetto, forever "Y").

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it

Tango Whisky
April 11th 18, 01:48 PM
Le mercredi 11 avril 2018 14:19:18 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
> In many countries it's just a personal choice and decision, no registry involved. In such countries, if in a particular competition two sailplanes bear the same marks, the Competition Director will ask one of them to change his ID. As a CD in Italy, I might ask to the pilot with a shorter career to perform the change in "respect of the longer career", or I might ask the competitor who in my opinion has the easiest option to change his ID (i.e: AI can very easily be modified to AT, AF, AE etc.) to oblige. Or I may apply any other ideas in my "best" judgment.
>
> In other countries (the UK and probably others), the national federation is responsible for keeping a registry of compID's.
>
> Sporting rules for competitions usually prescribe that a competition ID (1-3 characters) must be clearly visible on both sides of the vertical fin. This should also be complemented with even larger characters under one wing.. So, check the rules in your country and those of the countries where you will fly (maybe France and Germany for example), so that you do the work properly, once and for all.
>
> If painted, in some countries a popular choice is to replicate the last 2 characters of the registration marking, so if you sell your glider, the compID may simply continue with the new owner (i.e: D-KABC -> "BC").
> Other pilots have such strong ties with their ID that they'll use the same for all their career (think Giorgio Galetto, forever "Y").
>
> Aldo Cernezzi
> www.voloavela.it

In Germany, there is an official registration with the DAec - but most do just as they like. In the scenario described by Aldo, the one who is not registered will be asked to do the change for the during of the competition by some lengths of tape.

Michael Opitz
April 11th 18, 03:36 PM
At 06:34 11 April 2018, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
>Op dinsdag 10 april 2018 20:49:30 UTC+2 schreef Dan Daly:
>> On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den
Bosch
>wrote:
>> > I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
>> > It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition
number, how
>are they chosen? Where can you register one?
>>
>> What did you end up getting? Congratulations!
>
>Found a lovely DG 101, price was low but needed a new radio so it's
fair.

Just remember, you now do DG take-offs. Set the trim, and leave the
elevator alone as you roll down the runway. It will lift off very nicely
on it's own from the two point attitude. If you try and raise the tail
first, and then try to fly the main wheel off, you will get airborne only
briefly before it bounces back down. That's how you can tell a new DG
pilot every time - they bounce the take-offs. Have fun. It's a nice
glider.

RO

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 11th 18, 05:58 PM
OK.....how the frig does this post relate to competition numbers?!?!

I will be magnanimous and say you were going through threads and forgot which thread you were in......

Otherwise, it is "about spring" in the northern hemisphere, thus cabin fever is rampant and peeps want to fly.....

Have a nice day.....

April 11th 18, 06:26 PM
Charlie - the OP has bought a DG101 - scroll up a little ;-)

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 11th 18, 08:28 PM
OK, my "quote" didn't show up, I was commenting on Michael Opitz (sp) talking about how to fly a sailplane which has NOTHING to do with contest numbers.

Issue with this forum, no way to edit/correct issues after the fact.....

Oh, have a nice day......

Michael Opitz
April 11th 18, 09:03 PM
At 19:28 11 April 2018, Charlie M. UH & 002 owner/pilot wrote:
>OK, my "quote" didn't show up, I was commenting on Michael Opitz
(sp)
>talking about how to fly a sailplane which has NOTHING to do with
contest
>numbers.
>
>Issue with this forum, no way to edit/correct issues after the fact.....
>

>Oh, have a nice day......

The OP of this post just had a pretty lengthy thread on being a new
guy and asking what kind of glider to get. After taking everyone's
thoughts in mind, he finally made a choice and bought his new glider,
only he announced it in this new thread. Seeing as he chose to
announce it in this thread, I didn't see the harm in giving him a tip on
flying that particular new glider - as a follow up to his original thread.

Sorry if the thread drift annoyed you, but if you read the OP's posts,
you will realize that he's a new guy who is looking to soak up all the
info he can.

RO

Senna Van den Bosch
April 13th 18, 06:35 AM
Op woensdag 11 april 2018 16:45:06 UTC+2 schreef Michael Opitz:
> At 06:34 11 April 2018, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
> >Op dinsdag 10 april 2018 20:49:30 UTC+2 schreef Dan Daly:
> >> On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den
> Bosch
> number, how
> >are they chosen? Where can you register one?
> >>
> >> What did you end up getting? Congratulations!
> >
> >Found a lovely DG 101, price was low but needed a new radio so it's
> fair.
> >
> Just remember, you now do DG take-offs. Set the trim, and leave the
> elevator alone as you roll down the runway. It will lift off very nicely
> on it's own from the two point attitude. If you try and raise the tail
> first, and then try to fly the main wheel off, you will get airborne only
> briefly before it bounces back down. That's how you can tell a new DG
> pilot every time - they bounce the take-offs. Have fun. It's a nice
> glider.
>
> RO

Do you mean aerotows? I have been told by the club's FI before flying our Pegase on aerotow that it behaves the same, with large possibility of it bouncing.

Duster[_2_]
April 13th 18, 09:11 AM
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 11:58:50 AM UTC-5, Charlie M. (AH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> OK.....how the frig does this post relate to competition numbers?!?!
>
> I will be magnanimous and say you were going through threads and forgot which thread you were in......
>
> Otherwise, it is "about spring" in the northern hemisphere, thus cabin fever is rampant and peeps want to fly.....
> > Have a nice day.....

Mr. UH- A bit too quick on the draw, perhaps? Senna bought a DG101 after input about several gliders provided by Mr. Opitz and others. How does your complaining about what many would consider a person from our aviation royalty contribute anything?

Senna- Congrats and enjoy your new ship! If you have a favorite contest number already assigned, and you'd like to have it officially assigned to you, it might be worth asking the current owner to release it.

Duster[_2_]
April 13th 18, 09:16 AM
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 11:58:50 AM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> OK.....how the frig does this post relate to competition numbers?!?!
>
> I will be magnanimous and say you were going through threads and forgot which thread you were in......
>
> Otherwise, it is "about spring" in the northern hemisphere, thus cabin fever is rampant and peeps want to fly.....
>
> Have a nice day.....

Mr. UH- A bit too quick on the draw, perhaps? Senna bought a DG101 after input about several gliders provided by Mr. Opitz and others. How does your complaining about what many would consider a person from our aviation royalty contribute anything?

Senna- Congrats and enjoy your new ship! If you have a favorite contest number already assigned, and you'd like to have it officially assigned to you, it might be worth asking the current owner to release it.

Bob Kuykendall
April 13th 18, 06:57 PM
On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 12:28:55 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> OK, my "quote" didn't show up, I was commenting on Michael Opitz (sp) talking about how to fly a sailplane which has NOTHING to do with contest numbers.

What, are you the NFBSK'n UseNet police now?

Google