PDA

View Full Version : Used parachute wanted

Valentin Mayamsin
April 24th 18, 07:10 PM
Hi! I'm buying my first glider and it doesn't come with parachute. I'm looking to buy a used parachute no older than 15 years. North California.

April 25th 18, 02:39 AM
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 11:10:28 AM UTC-7, Valentin Mayamsin wrote:
> Hi! I'm buying my first glider and it doesn't come with parachute. I'm looking to buy a used parachute no older than 15 years. North California.

Try Barnstormers.com. Do a search for parachute. Check back regularly because the good deals sell pretty quickly.

Darryl Ramm
April 25th 18, 04:48 AM
Val

I would contact all the area parachute riggers who do lots of emergency chutes, like Action Air Parachutes and Alan Silver (who still sells chutes and may see used trades) I would also check in with clubs and FBOs who may know of local owners no longer actively flying or might have their own surplus parachutes.

You will want to know what glider this is for to help pick an appropriate chute. My old long Softie parachute was so wonderfully comfortable in my DG-303, but would not work well in my ASH26E or most Schleicher gliders.. and my standard Siftie chute works but is not ideal in the MDM-1 Fox...

Valentin Mayamsin
April 25th 18, 06:06 PM
Thank you for the tips! The glider is Jantar Std 2.

sisu1a
April 25th 18, 08:02 PM
I fly an SZD-59 which is the same fuselage as Jantar3... which is very similar to Jantar2 and I think uses the same seatback/headrest. I used a Mini (up to 180#) Softie Wedge backpack that is extremely comfortable in this ship. It's a super nice parachute and I hate to sell it but I'm not currently flying.

Hasn't been packed or worn in a long time, but has always been stored in a controlled climate/indoors. Black container, black carrying bag. Alan Silvers sewed bright yellow toggles onto the steering risers for added safety.

It will be 10yrs old this July. Asking $1200, and I'm also in your neck of the woods. pm me at: paul at eaglebrandproducts dot com for more details.

https://i.imgur.com/du9OvED.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iY19xtA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J0o3p9i.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kmORHXW.jpg

Valentin Mayamsin
April 27th 18, 05:45 AM
After talking to Paul it turns out the parachute is rated for 180 lbs. I am 190 lbs. Still looking for parachute.

Chris Rowland[_2_]
April 27th 18, 09:30 AM
At 04:45 27 April 2018, Valentin Mayamsin wrote:
>After talking to Paul it turns out the parachute is rated for 180 lbs. I
am
>190 lbs. Still looking for parachute.

10 lbs overweight adds about 3% to your descent speed, that's better than
not having one.
Or loose 10 lbs.

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 27th 18, 05:11 PM
Or use good flight judgement as the original poster has demonstrated, and choose the right size chute to account for your weight, and weight fluctuations with season. What other corners or margins are you going to push? Maybe max weight of non-lifting parts, redline... Good and bad flight decisions start on the ground before the flight. Just say'n

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:45:05 AM UTC-7, Chris Rowland wrote:
> At 04:45 27 April 2018, Valentin Mayamsin wrote:
> >After talking to Paul it turns out the parachute is rated for 180 lbs. I
> am
> >190 lbs. Still looking for parachute.
> >
> 10 lbs overweight adds about 3% to your descent speed, that's better than
> not having one.
> Or loose 10 lbs.

Google