PDA

View Full Version : LxNav USB hub?

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 26th 18, 02:20 AM
Just purchased the Wifi option for the LXNAV 9070. Currently I have a USB extension plugged into the only USB port on LX, then mounted on the panel fairing by my legs. This way I have access to the USB and all the data transfer without removing canopy to access port.

My question is, can anyone recommend a small two port USB hub that will work for both data transfer and the Wifi dongle. I asked the factory if they had a cable hub that would work and their recommendation was " You can use USB Hub. If you are lucky, the first one will work. If not, buy another type, that will work."

Anyone know which ones that will work, or what specs I should look for?

April 26th 18, 12:45 PM
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 9:20:08 AM UTC+8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> Just purchased the Wifi option for the LXNAV 9070. Currently I have a USB extension plugged into the only USB port on LX, then mounted on the panel fairing by my legs. This way I have access to the USB and all the data transfer without removing canopy to access port.
>
> My question is, can anyone recommend a small two port USB hub that will work for both data transfer and the Wifi dongle. I asked the factory if they had a cable hub that would work and their recommendation was " You can use USB Hub. If you are lucky, the first one will work. If not, buy another type, that will work."
>
> Anyone know which ones that will work, or what specs I should look for?

Hi Jonathan I have the same setup as you describe in my Ventus, and purchased a small 4 port USB hub from Ebay for about $15.00. it works fine.

Dan Marotta
April 26th 18, 03:12 PM
Amazon has 400 pages of USB hubs.Â* I found THIS
<https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-Go-29525-Chromebooks/dp/B006QB1QVO/ref=sr_1_61?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524751799&sr=1-61&keywords=usb+hub>
one on page 3...Â* BTW, what's wrong with having extra ports, and why do
you need more than one?Â* Just curious.

--
Dan, 5J

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 26th 18, 06:00 PM
Dude, USB is a basic rule, what actually works in the fringes is what may count.
What SPECIFIC unit did you buy? "I bought an EBay unit" is not enough info in this case.

For those that deal with comms or PC's, there is a loose standard, what actually works is another question.

I deal with automotive diagnostics comms, saying to get a "X" cable is worthless, getting a cable with a "Intel xxxx Chip with this version firmware" is worthwhile.
I have other examples.

Please link the exact unit you bought, that can help.

Thanks.

April 29th 18, 08:22 AM
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 1:00:24 AM UTC+8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> Dude, USB is a basic rule, what actually works in the fringes is what may count.
> What SPECIFIC unit did you buy? "I bought an EBay unit" is not enough info in this case.
>
> For those that deal with comms or PC's, there is a loose standard, what actually works is another question.
>
> I deal with automotive diagnostics comms, saying to get a "X" cable is worthless, getting a cable with a "Intel xxxx Chip with this version firmware" is worthwhile.
> I have other examples.
>
> Please link the exact unit you bought, that can help.
>
> Thanks.
Charlie ebay link as requested.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-port-USB-3-0-HUB-5Gbps-speed-Slim-External-portable-Cable-for-PC-Laptop-Mac-/232747103252?hash=item3630cef414

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 29th 18, 12:21 PM
Not your fault, but they don't list the chipset they use. That can be the difference in whether or not it works in some fringe applications.
I see the listing also shows it won't ship to the US. :-(

April 29th 18, 01:26 PM
On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 7:21:58 PM UTC+8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> Not your fault, but they don't list the chipset they use. That can be the difference in whether or not it works in some fringe applications.
> I see the listing also shows it won't ship to the US. :-(

Charlie, you asked specifics of what USB hub I used with the LX and where I purchased same, I have done that, it works on the LX9000 with the Wifi option. which is where this started, so I am not concerned with "fridge applications" I I also live in Australia so the postage options suited me fine !
Chris Runeckles GCWA Perth

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
April 29th 18, 05:47 PM
I am NOT picking on you.........
While USB is more generally accepted, some "standards" are less than standard.

I thank you for your link, really.

Your workable solution does not ship to the US (not your fault).

I just wanted for myself, and others, a link to a solution that worked for you.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Appreciate the link to a solution.
Have a great day.

For me, and why I asked, a USB to serial connection may TOTALLY depend on the chipset.
Yep, "what is serial?".
This and other connections can depend on the chipset, I have had this issue for industrial as well as automotive applications.

Glad it works for you, seems like USB is a bit more tolerant of differences.

Again, for the umpteenth time, thanks for the link.
Have a great day.......

Jonathan St. Cloud
May 21st 18, 04:06 AM
Finally got around to setting up the Wifi on the LXNav. Turns out both of the below listed USB hubs worked fine, allowing both the Wifi and the extra USB port to upload or download data.

One disconcerting note was one of the networks picked up by the LXNav unit was "DEAvan646". No kidding.

Jon
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 9:42:06 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> So I wanted thank those who let me know I could purchase USB hubs off the Internet. Not getting any of the requested specific guidance, I chose two different models, off the Internet:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071JTSMVQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QB1QVO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>
> I will post results.
>

> On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 6:20:08 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> > Just purchased the Wifi option for the LXNAV 9070. Currently I have a USB extension plugged into the only USB port on LX, then mounted on the panel fairing by my legs. This way I have access to the USB and all the data transfer without removing canopy to access port.
> >
> > My question is, can anyone recommend a small two port USB hub that will work for both data transfer and the Wifi dongle. I asked the factory if they had a cable hub that would work and their recommendation was " You can use USB Hub. If you are lucky, the first one will work. If not, buy another type, that will work."
> >
> > Anyone know which ones that will work, or what specs I should look for?

Google