PDA

View Full Version : GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

April 26th 18, 04:11 AM
I'm excited to announce a new soaring app I've developed called GliderLink. The app shows your location and the location of nearby gliders on a moving map. You can see the other gliders' callsign, relative altitude, heading, and vertical speed. That's about it right now; it's very simple. The value of this app is that it allows you to quickly see where nearby gliders are, and whether they're in lift or sink. No more confusion on the radio trying to communicate to others where you are. With this app, all it takes is a glance. This enables team soaring, and increases safety by helping you be aware of where other gliders are. It could also be useful for lead/follow cross-country mentoring.

The app is free, and always will be. I developed it as a hobby and as a service to the soaring community. The app is for Android 4.3 and above, and requires Bluetooth LE (low energy, aka 4.0). I may make an iOS verison if there is enough interest. However, a used Android phone can be had for a song these days, if you don't want to wait.

Here's a screenshot:

https://glider.link/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/pixel2xl_framed_1621x3335-768x1580.png

One unique thing about this app is that it doesn't require a cellular or Internet connection to share your location with others. Instead, it uses a device called a goTenna Mesh, which pairs to your phone/tablet using Bluetooth, and contains a separate radio that it uses to communicate with other goTennas. It's like a peer-to-peer airborne datalink. GliderLink uses the goTenna to directly send your GPS coordinates to other users of the app; once every 20 seconds. No cell towers, base stations, or servers are involved. You can put your phone in airplane mode, and still use the app and goTenna.

This is what a goTenna Mesh looks like:

https://glider.link/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/goTennaKeychain.jpg

You mount the goTenna Mesh in your cockpit, in a location where it will have line-of-sight to other gliders. I have mine velcroed to the underside of my canopy, but it also works well if you tape it to the end of your microphone boom where it can "see" out through the canopy. Here's what it looks like on the underside of my canopy:

https://glider.link/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/gotenna_canopy_below.jpg

In my testing, the maximum range of the goTenna Mesh is around 41.2nm (76.3km). However, the reception is not reliable at that range. In practice, you can get fairly reliable reception within about 10nm (18.5km), which is plenty. The app shows gliders in green if you've received a position update from them recently. If the app hasn't received a signal from them in a while, the glider will be shown in orange, then red if it's been a long time.

The cost of the goTenna Mesh is quite reasonable. They sell for about $72-90 each, depending on how many you buy at once. You can buy them from goTenna, or in outdoor stores like REI. Note that GliderLink uses the goTenna Mesh, not the original goTenna or the Pro. You can save $20 by ordering a goTenna Mesh from this link: https://www.talkable.com/x/IgisuY. This is their standard referral program, and I get a small reward from it. It would be nice way to say thanks for the app, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

The app can be downloaded right now from Google Play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=link.glider.gliderlink

The app will walk you through some setup, which involves requesting permissions, downloading a map for offline use, and entering your callsign in the settings. Downloading the map ahead of time ensures that it will be available while airborne, where you may not get cellular reception. Make sure the phone is on WiFi when you're downloading the map. It can use a lot of data if you're on a cellular connection. The larger the map area you select, the more data/storage will be used. Once setup, tap the little switch button in the corner of the screen to connect to the goTenna Mesh(make sure it's on) and start sending/receiving data. There is also a demo mode, accessible from the menu, that allows you to see a demonstration of what it looks like when you're flying with other GliderLink users.

There are many more features I'd like to add to this app in the future. Some possibilities include:

- Mesh networking: In addition to broadcasting your own location, the app could re-broadcast the locations of other gliders it sees, increasing the robustness and range of the network.
- Base station mode: If on the ground, the app could broadcast live weather data to glider pilots, such as wind speed and direction at the airport. It could also send the locations of any gliders it sees to a server on the Internet, so that people at home, or the FBO, can see where they are, sort of like glideport.aero.
- Lift marking: Recently used thermals could be marked on the map. Color coded glider tracks could also be shown, for visualizing wave/ridge/convergence lift.
- Mayday mode: Broadcast to anyone in range that you are in trouble, or need a retrieve.
- Internet connectivity: If you do happen to have an Internet connection while airborne, the app can use it to share your location as well, further increasing the robustness of the system.

I, and a few other pilots, have been testing the app around Hollister, California, and find that it comes in handy. I hope you do too, and I look forward to hearing what you think!

I have a website set up for GliderLink, but I haven't had a chance to put anything on it yet. You can check it later for more info: https://glider.link

Cheers,
Ben

Tom BravoMike
April 26th 18, 06:16 AM
> I'm excited to announce a new soaring app I've developed called GliderLink. The app shows your location and the location of nearby gliders on a moving map. You can see the other gliders' callsign, relative altitude, heading, and vertical speed. That's about it right now; it's very simple. The value of this app is that it allows you to quickly see where nearby gliders are, and whether they're in lift or sink. No more confusion on the radio trying to communicate to others where you are. With this app, all it takes is a glance. This enables team soaring, and increases safety by helping you be aware of where other gliders are. It could also be useful for lead/follow cross-country mentoring.

(...snip...)>
> Cheers,
> Ben

Amazing! How exciting! I'm going to try it out and have already ordered my pair of goTenna mesh devices a few moments ago. It would have made such a huge difference last season (2017) when I was invited to follow another pilot, more experienced in the area, and 60% of my attention and pleasure was taken away by the constant effort to look for him in the sky. Thanks, Ben.

BTW, the mesh networking will be very useful in extending the range over a certain area. And how about an option to save the maps to an SD card?

Tom BravoMike

April 26th 18, 07:18 AM
Thanks for trying it out, Tom! That's a good suggestion about storing the maps on an external SD card. I put it on my to-do list. There are a lot of improvements I want to make to map management in general.

Wyll Surf Air
April 26th 18, 07:50 AM
Sounds like a very exciting new app. I wonder if this tech could be integrated into XCSoar? I know a lot of people already use the XCSoar app in flight so adding this technology would just make it even better.

Dan Daly[_2_]
April 26th 18, 02:29 PM
On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 11:11:32 PM UTC-4, Ben Hirashima wrote:
> [...]
> - Lift marking: Recently used thermals could be marked on the map. Color coded glider tracks could also be shown, for visualizing wave/ridge/convergence lift.
> - Mayday mode: Broadcast to anyone in range that you are in trouble, or need a retrieve.
> - Internet connectivity: If you do happen to have an Internet connection while airborne, the app can use it to share your location as well, further increasing the robustness of the system.
>
> I, and a few other pilots, have been testing the app around Hollister, California, and find that it comes in handy. I hope you do too, and I look forward to hearing what you think!

First, this sounds very interesting - similar to the Open Glider Network (OGN) but not requiring ground stations.

It says in the hardware specs it's a 1 watt UHF transmitter. I know the FCC limited PowerFLARM to .02 watts in the ISM band (CORE is 0.018w, Portable 0.010w) because of possible effects over a wide area given that it is line-of-sight. What frequency does this transmit on? UHF is 300 MHz - 3 GHz...

Paul Agnew
April 26th 18, 02:43 PM
https://fccid.io/2ABVK02629

I found this with a quick search for FCC and GoTenna. Is this what you were asking about?

Paul A.

waremark
April 26th 18, 03:17 PM
Can you explain for the technically illiterate? Is that a license to use it in the US? What about the UK?

Why have you chosen for this app not to work with output from a Flarm?

April 26th 18, 03:56 PM
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:17:45 AM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
> Can you explain for the technically illiterate? Is that a license to use it in the US? What about the UK?
>
> Why have you chosen for this app not to work with output from a Flarm?

Sounds like it's an independent alternative to FLARM, and 90% cheaper. It only offers some of what FLARM offers though. Perhaps collision warnings can be added to the app. It still wouldn't include listening to ADS-B signals like PowerFLARM does. And it depends on other gliders in the area also using the same device. The more people use this instead of FLARM the less useful FLARM will be. Unless the different systems are cross-linked via a server, but that would require cellular data service. A consolidation of this app and the IGCdroid app (for logging and optionally real-time tracking) would also simplify things.

How long do the batteries last in this usage, in both the smartphone and the goTenna?

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 26th 18, 04:48 PM
I would be interested in an iOS version! Very cool.

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 8:11:32 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
> [...]
> - Lift marking: Recently used thermals could be marked on the map. Color coded glider tracks could also be shown, for visualizing wave/ridge/convergence lift.
> - Mayday mode: Broadcast to anyone in range that you are in trouble, or need a retrieve.
> - Internet connectivity: If you do happen to have an Internet connection while airborne, the app can use it to share your location as well, further increasing the robustness of the system.
>
> I, and a few other pilots, have been testing the app around Hollister, California, and find that it comes in handy. I hope you do too, and I look forward to hearing what you think!

April 26th 18, 05:07 PM
Let's not stop new solutions to preserve Flarm's market share. Add near traffic algorithms and Flarm units can take their place on the shelf next to barographs.
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:56:22 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:17:45 AM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
> > Can you explain for the technically illiterate? Is that a license to use it in the US? What about the UK?
> >
> > Why have you chosen for this app not to work with output from a Flarm?
>
> Sounds like it's an independent alternative to FLARM, and 90% cheaper. It only offers some of what FLARM offers though. Perhaps collision warnings can be added to the app. It still wouldn't include listening to ADS-B signals like PowerFLARM does. And it depends on other gliders in the area also using the same device. The more people use this instead of FLARM the less useful FLARM will be. Unless the different systems are cross-linked via a server, but that would require cellular data service. A consolidation of this app and the IGCdroid app (for logging and optionally real-time tracking) would also simplify things.
>
> How long do the batteries last in this usage, in both the smartphone and the goTenna?

April 26th 18, 05:07 PM
Hello Ben and greetings from Canada.

I installed the App but could not download the area covering South West Quebec and South East Ontario. Montreal Soaring Council, our club is located in Hawkesbury, ON.

Is it difficult to add the Canadian Map ?

Best of luck with this project. I see great potential specially as suggested if it can be integrated into other Apps such as XCsoar !

April 26th 18, 05:52 PM
It would be fantastic if this could be integrated with Top Hat

kirk.stant
April 26th 18, 06:04 PM
I have Flarm and I still would use this - because in the US only racers have Flarm. I see this a the perfect solution for a club environment.

Please make an iOS version.

And look at the possibility of an NMEA output so the glider data could be sent to other soaring map displays via Bluetooth - Oudie, LXnnnn, Clearnav, etc.

Perhaps some other smart guy could come up with a way to deconflict duplicate tracks (FLARM vs ADSB vs GliderLink. Possibly by callsign?

Kirk
66

Dan Marotta
April 26th 18, 06:05 PM
Don't forget that Flarm also displays ADS-B traffic.

--
Dan, 5J

Renny[_2_]
April 26th 18, 06:25 PM
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 11:04:21 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
> I have Flarm and I still would use this - because in the US only racers have Flarm. I see this a the perfect solution for a club environment.
>
> Please make an iOS version.
>
> And look at the possibility of an NMEA output so the glider data could be sent to other soaring map displays via Bluetooth - Oudie, LXnnnn, Clearnav, etc.
>
> Perhaps some other smart guy could come up with a way to deconflict duplicate tracks (FLARM vs ADSB vs GliderLink. Possibly by callsign?
>
> Kirk
> 66

"because in the US only racers have Flarm"

For clarification, at Moriarty we have over 20 owners with PowerFlarms and only 1 or 2 actually race in regionals or nationals. Now, we almost all "do" fly the OLC....and we all would rather not run into each other or run into other traffic... ;-)

Jonathan St. Cloud
April 26th 18, 06:33 PM
I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any privately owned and flown gliders at my airfield that do not have Flarm.

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 10:04:21 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
> I have Flarm and I still would use this - because in the US only racers have Flarm. I see this a the perfect solution for a club environment.
>
> Please make an iOS version.
>
> And look at the possibility of an NMEA output so the glider data could be sent to other soaring map displays via Bluetooth - Oudie, LXnnnn, Clearnav, etc.
>
> Perhaps some other smart guy could come up with a way to deconflict duplicate tracks (FLARM vs ADSB vs GliderLink. Possibly by callsign?
>
> Kirk
> 66

April 26th 18, 07:12 PM
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 1:33:39 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any privately owned and flown gliders at my airfield that do not have Flarm.

It's a regional thing. I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any gliders flown at my airfield that have Flarm. (Out of about a dozen.) In our soaring area there is relatively little civilian non-glider air traffic. And within the glider flying community it's a chicken-and-egg thing, it's useless since nobody else has it, so why buy it.

April 26th 18, 07:33 PM
> On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 1:33:39 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> > I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any privately owned and flown gliders at my airfield that do not have Flarm.
>
> It's a regional thing. I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any gliders flown at my airfield that have Flarm. (Out of about a dozen.) In our soaring area there is relatively little civilian non-glider air traffic. And within the glider flying community it's a chicken-and-egg thing, it's useless since nobody else has it, so why buy it.

Correction: I think there is ONE pilot here with FLARM. Probably because he goes to contests elsewhere.

April 26th 18, 07:38 PM
Moshe, there are lots of gliders overflying your airfield with flarm. Perhaps if you had flarm you would be aware of that traffic.

RR

> > It's a regional thing. I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any gliders flown at my airfield that have Flarm. (Out of about a dozen.) In our soaring area there is relatively little civilian non-glider air traffic. And within the glider flying community it's a chicken-and-egg thing, it's useless since nobody else has it, so why buy it.
>
> Correction: I think there is ONE pilot here with FLARM. Probably because he goes to contests elsewhere.

April 26th 18, 08:07 PM
> Moshe, there are lots of gliders overflying your airfield with flarm. Perhaps if you had flarm you would be aware of that traffic.
>
> RR
>
> > > It's a regional thing. I am a US based pilot and I am not aware of any gliders flown at my airfield that have Flarm. (Out of about a dozen.) In our soaring area there is relatively little civilian non-glider air traffic. And within the glider flying community it's a chicken-and-egg thing, it's useless since nobody else has it, so why buy it.
> >
> > Correction: I think there is ONE pilot here with FLARM. Probably because he goes to contests elsewhere.

You're right, RR. They're coming from elsewhere though - such as your club which is located a lot closer to the Big City. And there aren't enough of them over our heads so far to change the mindset in my club about FLARM. Yes the perception might differ from reality, as we don't know what we would have seen had we had FLARM. The one pilot with (IIRC) FLARM says he sees more GA (non-glider) traffic (via ADS-B) than he would otherwise be aware of. Still it's not a high-traffic area, and nobody here even thinks about transponders.

Ben Hirashima
April 26th 18, 10:30 PM
GliderLink is not really a replacement for Flarm. GliderLink can make you aware of traffic that you might not have seen otherwise, but it cannot give you warnings that you are on a collision course. This is because GliderLink only broadcasts your location every 20 seconds, a limitation imposed by the goTenna Mesh (5 transmissions per minute). If you don't have Flarm then GliderLink is certainly better than nothing, but I will be using both, personally. It would be cool if I could display Flarm traffic in GliderLink. I'll have to look into whether that is technologically feasible.

Regarding the frequency goTenna Mesh uses, their FAQ says:

goTenna Mesh will transmit at 1 W on 902-928 MHz in the United States, and will vary throughout other countries. For example: goTenna Mesh will transmit at 0.5 W on 869.4-869.65 MHz in Europe and other CE countries, and the device will auto-tune itself to the appropriate frequency band and power output based on the location where it's being used.

In my research on 902-928 MHz in the US, I could not find any specific prohibition against using the frequency while airborne. I asked goTenna if the Mesh was legal to use in the air, and they said they didn't know one way or the other. I did find that the original goTenna uses a MURS frequency that is not legal to use in the air, but MURS is not used by the goTenna Mesh. As far as Europe or other countries go, I haven't yet done any research on the legality of using the goTenna Mesh in the air. Anyone know?

Speaking of, I apologize to users outside the US for not having maps available right now. I believe I have a solution at least for Europe and I plan to add it to the app. I'd like to get confirmation on the legality of airborne use of the goTenna Mesh in Europe first though.

Regarding battery life, GliderLink is pretty easy on the battery from what I've seen. Putting your phone in airplane mode certainly helps conserve battery. Since GliderLink doesn't depend on the cellular network, you can do this and still use the app. The goTenna Mesh has it's own battery which should easily last all day with GliderLink. I've never drained the goTenna battery below about 50% if I recall correctly.

Regarding XCSoar and TopHat integration, it should be possible. I haven't talked to any of their developers, but I think it would be great if they wanted to integrate it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the goTenna Mesh, and GliderLink by proxy, requires Android 4.3+ and Bluetooth LE (4.0). Older devices like the Dell Streak don't meet either of these requirements, unfortunately. If you're wondering what Android phone to run GliderLink on, the Samsung Galaxy S series from S6 on have pretty bright OLED displays that are reasonably readable in sunlight.

Tom BravoMike
April 26th 18, 11:51 PM
(...)
> Regarding XCSoar and TopHat integration, it should be possible. I haven't talked to any of their developers, but I think it would be great if they wanted to integrate it.

From what I could observe on the https://forum.xcsoar.org/index.php (BTW, it stopped working for me some time ago), their reply is usually like: 'Open a ticket' and 'You need it? Do it!'

Don't get discouraged, please. It would be terrific to have the 'targets' on XCSoar. We really don't need yet another display in the small glider cockpit...

son_of_flubber
April 27th 18, 02:33 AM
I have a question for pilots who have put off installing Flarm because 'it is too expensive'...

What is the 'go to excuse' for not installing Glider Link (assuming you already own an Android phone)?

WRT enhancements. I think a phone app should aim to do just one thing well. The first priority should be a port to IPhone. This will get more aircraft onto Glider Link, sooner rather than later.

waremark
April 27th 18, 10:11 AM
In Europe and it would appear in many parts of the US most cross country gliders are flying with Flarm.

To improve safety we want as many people as possible to use Flarm.

While this is cheaper and has longer range, I worry that it may discourage some from biting the bullet and getting Flarm. And personally I wouldn't want to carry an additional traffic display (I get Flarm contacts on a Butterfly display and an LX 9000).

krasw
April 27th 18, 11:12 AM
If you can (legally and for free) send data at any bandwith between ground station and glider, this is just amazing. I do not see problem with competing technologies, they just drive prices down and at some point everything will be integrated (like flarm and transponder targets on current generation collision avoidance systems).

April 27th 18, 12:28 PM
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:11:43 AM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
> In Europe and it would appear in many parts of the US most cross country gliders are flying with Flarm.
>
> To improve safety we want as many people as possible to use Flarm.
>
> While this is cheaper and has longer range, I worry that it may discourage some from biting the bullet and getting Flarm. And personally I wouldn't want to carry an additional traffic display (I get Flarm contacts on a Butterfly display and an LX 9000).

Progress isn't going to stop to cover the emotional cost of spent money on old tech. Flarm will be done in by something app based soon enough. The last guy to buy a barograph didn't care for GPS scoring.

Paul Agnew
April 27th 18, 01:46 PM
Integrating this into XCSoar is the most viable and valuable way to get widespread adoption of this solution. I really like the goTenna mesh concept, but I thought the Skylines interface with XCSoar was supposed to do the same inflight buddy-watch function down the road via cellular data.

The mesh network concept is intriguing, but with unlimited data plans on our phones in South Florida, it would only be more advantageous than Skylines at low altitudes over remote areas.

Interesting possibilities, though. Imagine synced mesh network integration with Skylines to improve coverage.

Paul A.

kirk.stant
April 27th 18, 02:55 PM
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 4:11:43 AM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
> In Europe and it would appear in many parts of the US most cross country gliders are flying with Flarm.
>
> To improve safety we want as many people as possible to use Flarm.
>
> While this is cheaper and has longer range, I worry that it may discourage some from biting the bullet and getting Flarm. And personally I wouldn't want to carry an additional traffic display (I get Flarm contacts on a Butterfly display and an LX 9000).

Except the highest traffic density is often local training gliders near the glider field - and towplanes. Good luck getting Flarm into 2-33s and L-23s in the US! At our club field, with 8 club gliders, 13 private gliders, and 3 towplanes, only 4 of the private ships have Flarm. Some of the training gliders don't even have radios! And yes, we have had at least two glider/towplane incidents (no one hurt, fortunately) that could have been avoided with this kind of technology. So to me, this could be an absolute no brainer.

kirk.stant
April 27th 18, 03:01 PM
On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 12:25:16 PM UTC-5, Renny wrote:
> On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 11:04:21 AM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
> > I have Flarm and I still would use this - because in the US only racers have Flarm. I see this a the perfect solution for a club environment.
> >
> > Please make an iOS version.
> >
> > And look at the possibility of an NMEA output so the glider data could be sent to other soaring map displays via Bluetooth - Oudie, LXnnnn, Clearnav, etc.
> >
> > Perhaps some other smart guy could come up with a way to deconflict duplicate tracks (FLARM vs ADSB vs GliderLink. Possibly by callsign?
> >
> > Kirk
> > 66
>
> "because in the US only racers have Flarm"
>
> For clarification, at Moriarty we have over 20 owners with PowerFlarms and only 1 or 2 actually race in regionals or nationals. Now, we almost all "do" fly the OLC....and we all would rather not run into each other or run into other traffic... ;-)

Ok, fair point - I'll amend my comment to "because in the US only XC and racers have Flarm". Sure, some school/commercial operators may have them (Williams?) but the great unwashed are struggling to get radios and audio varios in their trainers, much less Flarm!

PS - I've had a PF in my LS6 since day one - before that I had a PCAS, and if I could carry an APG-82v1 AESA radar with an APX-119 Interrogator I would have one of those, too! I REALLY like knowing what is around me!

Kirk
66

Alan Saunders
April 27th 18, 07:50 PM
At 21:30 26 April 2018, Ben Hirashima wrote:

>Regarding the frequency goTenna Mesh uses, their FAQ says:
>
>goTenna Mesh will transmit at 1 W on 902-928 MHz in the United
States, and will vary throughout other countries. For example: goTenna
Mesh will transmit at 0.5 W on 869.4-869.65 MHz in Europe and other
CE countries, and the device will auto-tune itself to the appropriate
frequency band and power output based on the location where it's being
used.

>In my research on 902-928 MHz in the US, I could not find any
specific prohibition against using the frequency while airborne. I asked
goTenna if the Mesh was legal to use in the air, and they said they didn't

know one way or the other. I did find that the original goTenna uses a
MURS frequency that is not legal to use in the air, but MURS is not used
by the goTenna Mesh.

>As far as Europe or other countries go, I haven't yet done any
research on the legality of using the goTenna Mesh in the air. Anyone
know?

See IR2030/1/19 for EU or 2014/88/UK June 2014 for UK. Other
countries may have different regulations.

- IR2030/1/19 2014/88/UK June 2014 -
Non-specific short-range devices.

** Equipment may be used airborne.**

869.40 - 869.65 MHz 500 mW e.r.p.

Techniques to access spectrum and mitigate interference that provide at
least equivalent performance to the techniques described in harmonised
standards adopted under Directive 2014/53/EU must be used. This can
include for example Listen Before Talk. Alternatively a duty cycle limit of

10% may be used.
EN 300 220 2013/752/EU Band No.54b.

Don't you love bureaucratic language! "Let's make sure the 'plebs'
don't understand and then fine them thousands of £/$ for infraction"!

The GoTenna limit of five messages per minute probably equates to the
maximum 10% duty-cycle for the protocol that they have chosen.
FLARM at ~868 Mhz limit their transmission to a very short data burst
at 10mW once per second - much less than required but adequate for
the their purpose.

The GoTenna (sounds like Lady Tena:-) map -
https://www.imeshyou.com/ indicates a good cluster in UK but sparse
population in Europe. I assume these ground stations (mostly mobile
and not 24/7) in non-gliding areas [cities] and not always active) could
relay signals between gliders and other traffic?

All five of my small, UK club gliders and most of our 20+ private gliders
have basic FLARM (£700, no ADS-B). Whilst your app may be more cost
effective than FLARM it requires an Android 'phone and has no collision
avoidance algorithm. I expect little take-up in Europe except for glider
pilots who already have a GoTenna and an Android 'phone.

OTOH, a network of GoTenna ground stations could provide better
coverage than OGN.

Good luck with your excellent project!

Alan (UK)

Bob Gibbons[_2_]
April 27th 18, 08:37 PM
Just for an addional data point, Texas Soaring Association has
PowerFlarm in all 10 club gliders and 3 Pawnee towplanes. Plus an
additional 24 PowerFlarm units in privately owned gliders on the
field.

Bob

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 07:01:44 -0700 (PDT), "kirk.stant"
> wrote:

.... text deleted

>Ok, fair point - I'll amend my comment to "because in the US only XC and racers have Flarm". Sure, some school/commercial operators may have them (Williams?) but the great unwashed are struggling to get radios and audio varios in their trainers, much less Flarm!
>
>PS - I've had a PF in my LS6 since day one - before that I had a PCAS, and if I could carry an APG-82v1 AESA radar with an APX-119 Interrogator I would have one of those, too! I REALLY like knowing what is around me!
>
>Kirk
>66

April 28th 18, 03:57 AM
"Flarm is stupid anyway. We've had technically advanced airplanes fly into each other, TV traffic is a feelgood charm for sissies. Example of how your electronics won't save you.
https://www.youtube.com/wat"

This is an asinine post from an asinine know-it-all that knows nothing about Flarm and the definite benefits it provides. I had at least three warnings last year in situations that would have likely resulted in a collision: two in thermals and one in a head-on high speed closure that was avoided by the fact that the other pilot and I both had Flarm and paid attention to it.. I also had a few close calls with non-Flarm equipped pilots, and I had no idea they were there (and neither did they).

And your stupid YouTube video link shows absolutely nothing relating to a soaring environment. You may be happily distracted by repetitive and confusing environments as demonstrated in this simplistic and overly contrived perception test, but the aviation world I live in encourages the observation of constantly changing situations. I welcome the addition of Flarm in my cockpit, as it gives me an additional awareness of my situation and the pilots who also choose to use it.

For pilots like you, with a clear view of their colon and nothing else. I would prefer that you pick another thermal. And quit turning in the opposite direction.

Flarm helps. No doubt about it. 80% of the serious XC pilots in Moriarty use Flarm. We still like looking out the window, but a bit of advance warning is a nice thing.

If you think Flarm is "STUPID," pull your head out, become prescient, invent time travel or don't fly. Obviously you are better qualified and have superior situational awareness than all the mortals that infest your airspace.

That was a joke.

kirk.stant
April 28th 18, 04:04 AM
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:30:14 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
> How many of those 13 private gliders have transponders? I fly in the west and we have very good adoption of transponders and Flarm in the private ships and XC ships at commercial operations. Most of the trainers do not have radios let alone any other electronics. I am fine with that, the FBO's have a hard enough time making any money, and after all we do operate in a VFR environment, see and avoid.

Maybe 4? I don't. If I was out west I would immediately put one in, but here we are lucky to get above 6000' - and Powerflarm is a lot more useful than a transponder for avoiding all the VFR low alt traffic. Not dissing Xponders - if someone wants to give me a TT-21 when they upgrade to a TT-22 for ADS-B out I'll be happy to install it!

Kirk

kirk.stant
April 28th 18, 04:05 AM
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:44:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Flarm is stupid anyway. We've had technically advanced airplanes fly into each other, TV traffic is a feelgood charm for sissies. Example of how your electronics won't save you.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

No, FLARM is equipment. Pilots are stupid. Some more than others.

Kirk
66

Ben Hirashima
April 28th 18, 05:13 AM
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:00:08 PM UTC-7, Alan Saunders wrote:
> See IR2030/1/19 for EU or 2014/88/UK June 2014 for UK. Other
> countries may have different regulations.
>
> - IR2030/1/19 2014/88/UK June 2014 -
> Non-specific short-range devices.
>
> ** Equipment may be used airborne.**
>
> 869.40 - 869.65 MHz 500 mW e.r.p.
>
> Techniques to access spectrum and mitigate interference that provide at
> least equivalent performance to the techniques described in harmonised
> standards adopted under Directive 2014/53/EU must be used. This can
> include for example Listen Before Talk. Alternatively a duty cycle limit of
>
> 10% may be used.
> EN 300 220 2013/752/EU Band No.54b.

> Alan (UK)

Thanks Alan! That's good news. I know that goTenna does implement "listen before talk", meaning it waits until the frequency is clear before transmitting.

Ben Hirashima
April 28th 18, 05:23 AM
I'd like to remind everyone that GliderLink is not a substitute for Flarm. It is a different tool for a different purpose. Flarm is good for collision avoidance. GliderLink is good for team soaring. The goTenna Mesh offers significantly longer range than Flarm, which makes it much better than Flarm for sharing your location with pilots who are BVR (beyond visual range).

GliderLink has the potential to transform our sport from a mostly solitary pursuit to a very collaborative one. Until we have thermal detectors, the next best thing is buddies with GliderLink.

April 28th 18, 12:31 PM
You didn't see the Gorilla. Just because it is on TV or beeping on our panel doesn't mean our monkey brains are going to see it. Flarm users reporting multiple saves from midairs every season doesn't add up. Pre Flarm(at higher #s of active pilots) there weren't that many collisions.
On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 10:57:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> "Flarm is stupid anyway. We've had technically advanced airplanes fly into each other, TV traffic is a feelgood charm for sissies. Example of how your electronics won't save you.
> https://www.youtube.com/wat"
>
> This is an asinine post from an asinine know-it-all that knows nothing about Flarm and the definite benefits it provides. I had at least three warnings last year in situations that would have likely resulted in a collision: two in thermals and one in a head-on high speed closure that was avoided by the fact that the other pilot and I both had Flarm and paid attention to it. I also had a few close calls with non-Flarm equipped pilots, and I had no idea they were there (and neither did they).
>
> And your stupid YouTube video link shows absolutely nothing relating to a soaring environment. You may be happily distracted by repetitive and confusing environments as demonstrated in this simplistic and overly contrived perception test, but the aviation world I live in encourages the observation of constantly changing situations. I welcome the addition of Flarm in my cockpit, as it gives me an additional awareness of my situation and the pilots who also choose to use it.
>
> For pilots like you, with a clear view of their colon and nothing else. I would prefer that you pick another thermal. And quit turning in the opposite direction.
>
> Flarm helps. No doubt about it. 80% of the serious XC pilots in Moriarty use Flarm. We still like looking out the window, but a bit of advance warning is a nice thing.
>
> If you think Flarm is "STUPID," pull your head out, become prescient, invent time travel or don't fly. Obviously you are better qualified and have superior situational awareness than all the mortals that infest your airspace.
>
> That was a joke.

April 28th 18, 02:08 PM
On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 12:23:17 AM UTC-4, Ben Hirashima wrote:
> I'd like to remind everyone that GliderLink is not a substitute for Flarm.. It is a different tool for a different purpose. Flarm is good for collision avoidance. GliderLink is good for team soaring. The goTenna Mesh offers significantly longer range than Flarm, which makes it much better than Flarm for sharing your location with pilots who are BVR (beyond visual range).
>
> GliderLink has the potential to transform our sport from a mostly solitary pursuit to a very collaborative one. Until we have thermal detectors, the next best thing is buddies with GliderLink.

Thanks Ben, that would be nice. I've tried rendezvousing with buddies with only comm radio and GPS and it's been difficult. "I'm 6 miles NW of Pleasantville" isn't good enough.

The problem is the proliferation of gizmos and displays in the cockpit. It's bad enough that we have to push ourselves to look out the cockpit sometimes rather than the nav computer. Add Gliderlink and FLARM and who knows what else and our poor brains' multitasking capabilities are overwhelmed even without peeking outside. Plus the never-ending battery charging dance. That is why integration of the gizmos is the most requested feature above.

Another issue is the poor visibility, in sunlight, of smartphone screens. It seems that some people don't mind the low contrast, others can't stand it. As my eyes get older I seem to crave contrast. Perhaps I can discern what's on a good smartphone screen with enough squinting, but it takes too long. I use Tophat on a slow obsolete Nook e-reader with black-and-white e-ink display and external GPS, just for the contrast.

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
April 28th 18, 02:18 PM
kirk.stant wrote on 4/27/2018 8:04 PM:
> On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 11:30:14 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
>> How many of those 13 private gliders have transponders? I fly in the west and we have very good adoption of transponders and Flarm in the private ships and XC ships at commercial operations. Most of the trainers do not have radios let alone any other electronics. I am fine with that, the FBO's have a hard enough time making any money, and after all we do operate in a VFR environment, see and avoid.
>
> Maybe 4? I don't. If I was out west I would immediately put one in, but here we are lucky to get above 6000' - and Powerflarm is a lot more useful than a transponder for avoiding all the VFR low alt traffic. Not dissing Xponders - if someone wants to give me a TT-21 when they upgrade to a TT-22 for ADS-B out I'll be happy to install it!

I've read the TT-21 can be upgraded to a TT-22 for ~$800-$1000, so you should look
for another path to a cheap transponder :^)

Since you don't need ADSB, that path could be a mode C transponder, as many are
now available for $500-$1000 (transponder, encoder, and cabling!) as people
upgrade to mode S transponders here and in Europe.

https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1

http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf

Tango Whisky
April 28th 18, 05:31 PM
You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Marton K-Sz
April 29th 18, 12:04 AM
Whether this solution compares to FLARM technology or not - I think overall it's a very innovative idea that has a lot of potential in it. As Ben mentioned, a ground base station can broadcast information from the ground, gliders can share the location and strength of thermals among themselves, all at the cost of a $100 gadget. I cannot say that I have ever had the chance to fully exploit what PowerFLARM gives, but knowing that others are in the air nearby is already a great safety feature, especially given that the cost of this gadget is a fraction of the cost of a new PowerFLARM portable. Though credit goes to Flarm for collision course detection, but I'm not sure that this single feature justifies the huge price difference ($100 vs $2000). I hope this app will have many more features and the solution will be used widely among glider pilots.

Tom BravoMike
April 29th 18, 03:09 AM
On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 6:04:45 PM UTC-5, Marton K-Sz wrote:
> Whether this solution compares to FLARM technology or not - I think overall it's a very innovative idea that has a lot of potential in it. As Ben mentioned, a ground base station can broadcast information from the ground, gliders can share the location and strength of thermals among themselves, all at the cost of a $100 gadget. I cannot say that I have ever had the chance to fully exploit what PowerFLARM gives, but knowing that others are in the air nearby is already a great safety feature, especially given that the cost of this gadget is a fraction of the cost of a new PowerFLARM portable. Though credit goes to Flarm for collision course detection, but I'm not sure that this single feature justifies the huge price difference ($100 vs $2000). I hope this app will have many more features and the solution will be used widely among glider pilots.

Actually, the amount I was charged for a pair of the goTenna devices, after putting 'BENDER25' in the discount field, was $134.25 - which made it $$67..13 per piece. I found the suggestion here (bottom of the page - 25% discount):

http://travelwithbender.com/product-reviews/gotenna-mesh-review

RR
April 29th 18, 12:15 PM
Another application for this, is automatic logging for clubs. Just sit down and pick your name (and instructors name) from a list in the app, and a ground station gets your take off, and two height, and landing. In our club that would eliminate a duty person. Is the code open source, up on line some where? Would be a great enhancement.

Rick

Ben Hirashima
April 30th 18, 06:32 AM
I've published a FAQ on the GliderLink site: https://glider.link/faq

Tom BravoMike
April 30th 18, 03:19 PM
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 12:32:49 AM UTC-5, Ben Hirashima wrote:
> I've published a FAQ on the GliderLink site: https://glider.link/faq

Thanks, great job. Answers most basic questions potential users may have.
Another suggestion: how about adding the distance from your glider next to the other gliders' icons/information? I actually thought initially that the '5KM' in your example pictures was the distance.

Ben Hirashima
April 30th 18, 04:56 PM
Thanks Tom. That reminds me of another thing I should put in the FAQ: You can tap on a glider to get more information, like distance, ground speed, and exact altitude. I didn't put distance on the screen all the time because it's not essential information and it keeps screen clutter down.

Ben Hirashima
May 2nd 18, 05:32 AM
Here's a discount code you can use to get 20% off a goTenna order: NOEXCUSES. Eight people from my club just bought an 8 pack of Meshes for $463.20, less than $58 each!

May 3rd 18, 04:29 PM
I also would like to see an IOS version. Thanks, great work!

2G
May 3rd 18, 10:05 PM
> [...]
> - Lift marking: Recently used thermals could be marked on the map. Color coded glider tracks could also be shown, for visualizing wave/ridge/convergence lift.
> - Mayday mode: Broadcast to anyone in range that you are in trouble, or need a retrieve.
> - Internet connectivity: If you do happen to have an Internet connection while airborne, the app can use it to share your location as well, further increasing the robustness of the system.
>
> I, and a few other pilots, have been testing the app around Hollister, California, and find that it comes in handy. I hope you do too, and I look forward to hearing what you think!

Kudos on developing this Ap, but probably half of my friends have Iphones, so they can't use it. This makes it a tough sell.

Tom

kirk.stant
May 7th 18, 04:56 PM
Ben, as I understand this the real purpose of the cell phone app is to manage the mesh data and display it? What if the phone app also converted the glider position data into a NMEA stream compatible with SeeYou Mobile (for Oudie displays) and XCSoar, LK8000 etc and transmitted that info via Bluetooth?

Perhaps the FLARM message protocol could be used?

You could then stick your hosting phone in your pocket and have the mesh data on a nice readable display.

That would be AWESOME!

Kirk
66

Ben Hirashima
May 7th 18, 07:16 PM
Interesting idea about Bluetooth to Oudie. Might be possible.

Ben Hirashima
May 10th 18, 02:52 AM
A couple of people have emailed me asking about a problem with the goTenna disconnecting. I have updated the FAQ regarding this:

https://glider.link/faq/

Basically, update your goTenna's firmware using the official goTenna app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gotenna.gotenna

Ben Hirashima
May 21st 18, 01:57 AM
I would love to hear from anyone who has been using the app. How is it working for you?

Tom BravoMike
May 21st 18, 03:22 AM
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 7:57:47 PM UTC-5, Ben Hirashima wrote:
> I would love to hear from anyone who has been using the app. How is it working for you?

Ben, I haven't had any opportunity yet, but hope to get to fly within next 8 days and will let you know how it went. I tried out the software on the ground and walked around few blocks. For that purpose I wish I could zoom-in even more, to a more detailed map, but I guess the map range limit will be OK when in flight.

Tom BravoMike

Ben Hirashima
May 21st 18, 03:45 AM
Thanks, Tom. Looking forward to hearing about it. I would like to allow zooming in more on the map too, but adding just one more zoom level would quadruple the size the map takes up, so it's just not practical. In the air, the current level of detail should be quite sufficient.

Bruce
May 23rd 18, 03:27 PM
On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 5:57:47 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
> I would love to hear from anyone who has been using the app. How is it working for you?

I got the package of 8 goTennas for the club. Haven't got anyone up to speed yet, but I've trialed it with one unit on the ground and one in my glider, my longest contact was 14 miles.

I have 2 reactions. 1. It seems to be very power hungry, and 2. It needs to have a shutdown or exit command, as the power consumption seems to continue after you quit using it. I'm using a Samsung s5 and put it into airplane mode with location and bluetooth on. After I'm done using it the only way I have successfully terminated it is by doing a restart.

I think it has great potential and an interface into nav programs would reduce display requirements.

Ben Hirashima
May 23rd 18, 09:22 PM
Hi Bruce. I'm surprised to hear GliderLink is consuming a lot of power. It consumes very little power on the four phones I have run it on. It's often difficult to tell how much any one app is using. Just looking at how much the battery went down while you were using the app is not necessarily a good way to tell. It could be any app on the system using up the battery. Some apps will freak out when there's no Internet connection (airplane mode) and constantly try to connect, using up the battery. On most Samsung phones, you can go into the settings to the battery page and it should show how much individual apps are using. Let me know what it says.

Ben Hirashima
May 23rd 18, 09:24 PM
BTW Bruce, the way to shut down GliderLink is to tap the on/off switch in the upper right corner of the main GliderLink screen.

Ben Hirashima
May 31st 18, 05:54 AM
Meshing has come to GliderLink! I just published version 1.2.0 to Google Play. This version will broadcast not only your own location, but the locations of up to three other nearby gliders. This increases the range and robustness of the system. This version is backward compatible with older versions, but the older versions will not benefit from or contribute to the mesh network.

Example of extended range: You are glider A. Glider C is far away, out of range. However, glider B is between you and C, and in range of both of you. When C broadcasts its location, B will see it and re-broadcast it, which you can then receive. In effect, you will be able to see gliders that would normally be out of range.

Example of increased robustness: You, glider B, and glider C are all within range of each other. Glider C is thermalling, and when it broadcasts its location, the fuselage happens to be blocking transmission to you, but not to glider B. Glider B sees glider C and re-broadcasts C's location. This time, you are able to receive C's location since your line-of-sight is not blocked to glider B. There is more than one path for C's location to get to you, so the system is more robust. The more gliders there are in range, the most robust the system is. One caveat is that C's location may get to you a bit later, since you have to wait for glider B to broadcast on its usual 20 second cadence.

Some friends and I tested it for three days last weekend, and it worked well. One pilot was able to see me from 70 nautical miles away, thanks to meshing.

Wit Wisniewski
May 31st 18, 07:37 PM
Folks, please don't confuse PowerFlarm with Flarm.

In my opinion, Flarm should have been chosen as a universal system for worldwide collision avoidance between all aircraft over ADSB-out/in. It wasn't, and Flarm is banned in the US. PowerFlarm is a very low transmit power attempt at salvaging some Flarm capability.

I see many local XC pilots contemplating or already installing ADSB-out to promote safety with respect to non-glider traffic. (Only one of my many close calls was with another glider) With limited money, battery power, and panel space, and with only a minority of gliders/towplanes equipped, I expect PowerFlarm to go extinct.

Your technology may also be a preferred alternative to SPOT and other locator services.

Ben,
Thank you for your effort!!!
Solving the cost, power, and panel space problem in one system is what we need. My wishes/requests for your development are:

- Consider adding input from Stratux. Stratux is a $100 1090 and 978 MHz receiver that collects direct ADSB-out, UAT-out, rebroadcast TIS-b, weather, and NOTAM data from aircraft and ground towers, and puts it in a serial stream on a WiFi port. I use it with Avare, an open source EFB/navigation app. Parsing the stream for aircraft positions to be displayed on your map should be relatively easy.

- Adding mesh relay capability with fixed or mobile ground stations to close the gap between gliders too far apart. Internet connected mesh nodes would be desirable where there aren't enough airborne nodes to complete the mesh. I would love to see our club run a ground network for real-time tracking of all gliders in the area. This would give peace of mind to ground crews, knowing who may be landing out and where. Such a network may also save lives by giving a head start on search and rescue by providing undelayed info regarding where a glider went down. (Most gliders don't carry an ELT.)

- Adding internet map server capability to the above mentioned mesh for the piece of mind of airport crews, XC crews, spouses, friends, etc...

Thank you so much,
Wit

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
May 31st 18, 08:17 PM
Sounds very interesting although I have yet to see it/use it.
Regardless, sounds great and I thank you for your time.
It may be worthwhile within our local guys as an additional friendly thing/training item.

MMOORE
May 31st 18, 08:21 PM
Does this mean that non-linked Gotenna mesh devices can now act as a repeater (and must the Gotenna be placed in relay mode) ?

Thanks Ben

Ben Hirashima
May 31st 18, 10:06 PM
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 11:37:20 AM UTC-7, Wit Wisniewski wrote:
> - Consider adding input from Stratux. Stratux is a $100 1090 and 978 MHz receiver that collects direct ADSB-out, UAT-out, rebroadcast TIS-b, weather, and NOTAM data from aircraft and ground towers, and puts it in a serial stream on a WiFi port. I use it with Avare, an open source EFB/navigation app. Parsing the stream for aircraft positions to be displayed on your map should be relatively easy.

Interesting idea about adding Stratux support, Wit! I'll look into it.

MMoore, unfortunately a lone goTenna Mesh can't relay transmissions from GliderLink. It must be paired with a phone running GliderLink. GliderLink doesn't use goTenna's mesh networking implementation; it uses its own. There are three kinds of messages a goTenna can send: private one-to-one messages, private group messages, and public broadcasts (called Shouts) that anyone can receive. GliderLink exclusively send Shouts, but goTenna's Meshing feature only works for one-to-one messages at the moment. That's why I had to implement my own meshing protocol. goTenna has said it may enable meshing for Shouts in the future.

Dave Nadler
May 31st 18, 10:50 PM
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 2:37:20 PM UTC-4, Wit Wisniewski wrote:
> In my opinion, Flarm should have been chosen as a universal system for
> worldwide collision avoidance between all aircraft over ADSB-out/in.

No, they have different characteristics and meet different needs.

> Flarm is banned in the US.

No, original FLARM cannot meet USA FCC requirements, so is not legal in USA.
Original FLARM would work very poorly in USA due to other spectrum use.

> PowerFlarm is a very low transmit power attempt at salvaging
> some Flarm capability.

No, PowerFLARM is the logical evolution of FLARM, with better radios,
and meeting USA FCC requirements (which was costly).

> I see many local XC pilots contemplating or already installing ADSB-out
> to promote safety with respect to non-glider traffic.

If their primary collision risk is non-glider traffic, that is exactly
what they should be doing.

> With limited money, battery power, and panel space, and with only
> a minority of gliders/towplanes equipped, I expect PowerFlarm to go extinct.

No, PowerFLARM and FLARM address glider-glider conflicts which cannot be
addressed with ADS-B technology.

It would help all of us if you would get your facts straight.

Or is Wit actually a witless troll???

Really now...

Tom BravoMike
June 1st 18, 01:57 AM
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 4:50:33 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
(…)

> No, PowerFLARM and FLARM address glider-glider conflicts which cannot be
> addressed with ADS-B technology.

Dave, this has been discussed here recently, and what we have heard from Darryl was that ADS-B technology would actually do it better than FLARM because of a stronger and more frequent signal. The big hurdle is the amount of time and effort to write the necessary code for a relatively small glider community.

Dave Nadler
June 1st 18, 12:43 PM
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 8:57:10 PM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
> Dave, this has been discussed here recently, and what we have heard from
> Darryl was that ADS-B technology would actually do it better than FLARM
> because of a stronger and more frequent signal. The big hurdle is the
> amount of time and effort to write the necessary code for a relatively
> small glider community.

Wrong.

kirk.stant
June 1st 18, 04:30 PM
The basic misunderstanding of the differences between FLARM (and PF) and ADS-B among so many pilots is a bit scary.

FLARM is designed to prevent collisions between equipped gliders. It is optimized for short range warnings - any longer range "situational awareness" is just a side benefit. PF adds ADS-B (Mode S only, unfortunately) and Mode C/S "PCAS" warnings; again more as a side benefit (albeit a real nice one - along with the GPS and logger functions). But it is still primarily an ANTI-COLLISION tool between cooperative PF-equipped aircraft.

ADS-B is primarily an ATC tool to manage air traffic, replacing (actually, suppementing) the existing ground radar based system (SSR). While it has "situational awareness" benefits if ADS-B IN is used, that is NOT the same as ANTI-COLLISION. If you do not appreciate the subtle difference, please spend some time getting to understand the underlying technologies.

Remember, the ADS-B mandate is only for ADS-B OUT. There is no regulatory requirement for ADS-B IN, which would be required if a self contained anti-collision feature was intended. Which is why we ended up with the absurd situation of an ADS-B IN receiver not always seeing all ADS-B OUT traffic (UAT) if not paired up with an ADS-B out system.

Ideally, we would have both in gliders; Mode S ADS-B in/out to let others know we are around and get the bennies (traffic awareness, WX, etc) and FLARM to take care of the specific glider to glider collision threat.

Hopefully, TABS will evolve into something affordable and small enough for adoption by the majority of gliders that do not have transponders installed (or even electrical systems! Murica!) but as is so often stated, we are such a small market ...

Kirk

Ben Hirashima
June 26th 18, 11:09 PM
FYI, goTenna is having a 4th of July sale: 20% off with code JULY4. Good until July 8th. http://gotenna.com

Ben Hirashima
July 16th 18, 10:21 PM
goTenna has recently released a new version of its official app, which includes a new firmware for the goTenna Mesh that is supposed to fix the resetting problem. However, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. I tried it, and the firmware update failed, rendering my goTenna Mesh inoperative. The same may happen to you. I am working with goTenna to get this problem resolved. Don't update your firmware for now.

Charlie Quebec
July 17th 18, 07:03 AM
https://www.glidernet.org

Ben Hirashima
July 24th 18, 06:13 PM
On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 2:21:33 PM UTC-7, Ben Hirashima wrote:
> goTenna has recently released a new version of its official app, which includes a new firmware for the goTenna Mesh that is supposed to fix the resetting problem. However, DO NOT UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE. I tried it, and the firmware update failed, rendering my goTenna Mesh inoperative. The same may happen to you. I am working with goTenna to get this problem resolved. Don't update your firmware for now.

More information has become available about the goTenna firmware. On some units, it's not possible to update the firmware. goTenna has offered to replace those units.

To find out if your device needs to be replaced, first download or update the official goTenna app to version 5.0.1 (very important!). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gotenna.gotenna&hl=en_US

Next, read this forum post, and follow the instructions to see if your unit is one that needs to be replaced. https://meshcommunity.gotenna.com/t/mesh-5-0-is-here/2742/212. If it is, click the link in that post to fill out the Google Docs form for a replacement.

If your goTenna Mesh is not affected by this problem, then you can update the firmware on it. Again, it is very important to update the firmware with version 5.0.1 or newer of the official goTenna app. Using version 5.0.0 could brick your unit, like it did to one of mine.

Out of my four goTenna Meshes, I was able to update the firmware on only one of them. The updated one now seems to be free of the reset bug that would cause it to disconnect every so often. This is good news, at least. I will be sending in my other three for replacement. It's annoying to have to do this, but at least goTenna is doing the right thing and replacing the units that have problems.

October 23rd 18, 01:33 AM
On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 1:13:38 PM UTC-4, Ben Hirashima wrote:

> More information has become available about the goTenna firmware. On some units, it's not possible to update the firmware. goTenna has offered to replace those units.
>
> To find out if your device needs to be replaced, first download or update the official goTenna app to version 5.0.1 (very important!). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gotenna.gotenna&hl=en_US
>
> Next, read this forum post, and follow the instructions to see if your unit is one that needs to be replaced. https://meshcommunity.gotenna.com/t/mesh-5-0-is-here/2742/212. If it is, click the link in that post to fill out the Google Docs form for a replacement.
>
> If your goTenna Mesh is not affected by this problem, then you can update the firmware on it. Again, it is very important to update the firmware with version 5.0.1 or newer of the official goTenna app. Using version 5.0.0 could brick your unit, like it did to one of mine.

The best way to get an up to date goTenna Mesh is to buy a new pair.

Trying to save money, I bought a used pair of goTenna Mesh units. Downloaded the latest goTenna app (5.0.2) and it reported the 0.13.48 firmware version and the suspicious-looking serial number of "AA12341234". It offered to update the firmware to the current version 1.1.8. Thus according to the official info the update should have worked. But, after the data transfer (about 30 minutes of triple-flashings of the white LED) the goTenna unit started flashing rapidly and never completed the update, even after a couple of hours. Afterwards it wouldn't pair with the app on the phone. Bricked.

I contacted goTenna support, and they gave me suggestions on how to make it work, but no luck. Bricked the other unit too. So apparently the current app still does not always really know which units can accept the upload. But, then goTenna Support sent me new replacement units, so all is well, and kudos to goTenna!

Next I need to try out GliderLink, will report eventually...

May 8th 19, 02:19 AM
Spring has sort-of almost arrived here, and I finally got to try Gliderlink in the air. Only briefly, since the other glider with the device didn't stay up very long. But I got solid reports of his whereabouts from more than 10 miles away, even after he landed.

The new version of the app, which uses GPS time to synchronize the units (rather than the Android system clock), makes it easy to turn on the spare old phones that I have dedicated for this purpose and get the app working in short order. Thanks Ben.

Looking forward to some actual buddy flying with it. Anybody else using it?

Tom BravoMike
May 8th 19, 02:43 AM
(…)

> Looking forward to some actual buddy flying with it. Anybody else using it?

Exactly, finding a buddy interested in trying out useful gadgets like this one is the issue for me. Ionia, Michigan.

May 8th 19, 04:38 PM
On Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 9:43:14 PM UTC-4, Tom BravoMike wrote:
> (…)
> >
> > Looking forward to some actual buddy flying with it. Anybody else using it?
>
> Exactly, finding a buddy interested in trying out useful gadgets like this one is the issue for me. Ionia, Michigan.

I've had some people tell me that if you want to buddy-fly you should stay within visual range. I think there are different types of buddy flying possible, which this technology makes easier. E.g., I'll look for lift on this ridge, you check out that other ridge 3 miles away, then we'll rendezvous again wherever the lift is better. Another issue is the distraction of having to look at yet another screen. I wish it was integrated with the glide computer that I am using anyway, but not there yet*. I expect to only look at it occasionally when needing to find each other. And if I am planting the device in a glider with a less experienced pilot, for a "mentoring" flight, my plan is to put it out of reach behind that pilot's seat, thus no distraction - I'll be the one finding them. Anyway that's the theory, to be tried out soon.

*) I gather there is some sort of integration with XCsoar, but only if both are running within the same device. I use a Nook for Tophat (larger, higher-contrast screen) and a spare smartphone for GliderLink (new enough, unlike the Nook which is Android 2.x and no Bluetooth).

May 14th 19, 04:18 AM
GliderLink integration is now available in the beta version of XCSoar. GliderLink must be running (and connected to a goTenna) at the same time as XCSoar. GliderLink passes glider locations to XCSoar, and XCSoar displays them the same way it shows Flarm targets.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xcsoar.testing

Tom BravoMike
May 14th 19, 07:14 AM
On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 8:18:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> GliderLink integration is now available in the beta version of XCSoar. GliderLink must be running (and connected to a goTenna) at the same time as XCSoar. GliderLink passes glider locations to XCSoar, and XCSoar displays them the same way it shows Flarm targets.
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.xcsoar.testing

Great news, Ben! I hope to try out my GoTenna devices soon, finally.

June 15th 19, 12:35 AM
So I tried some buddy flying with Gliderlink recently. For a while it worked, and my buddy (who is not used to Gliderlink at all) thought it was great. Then we stopped "seeing" each other on the gizmo. I never figured out why, but I think one of us accidentally hit the goTenna "slide switch" and thus turned off the connection. This brings forth two suggestions:

(1) for users, play with it on the ground and get used to the app, so that you can solve app problems in the air without needing more attention than we can muster while flying. It also may help if you mount the goTenna somewhere where you can see it, then if it disconnects you will see its LED blinking.

(2) for Ben: perhaps move that switch to somewhere less prone to an accidental tap, e.g., inside the goTenna status menu item.

June 17th 19, 05:50 PM
Moshe, some possible reasons that you stopped seeing each other on GliderLink:

1) If the phone loses it's GPS fix, it will stop broadcasting your location. This can happen if the phone is in a pocket without a clear view of the sky. I will add a notification to GliderLink when this happens.

2) If the goTenna firmware has not been updated to the latest, it may be suffering from the known problem that causes it to lose the bluetooth connection to your phone.

3) The goTenna battery may have died. This is less likely because the goTenna battery lasts quite a while.

June 17th 19, 06:26 PM
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 12:50:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Moshe, some possible reasons that you stopped seeing each other on GliderLink:
>
> 1) If the phone loses it's GPS fix, it will stop broadcasting your location. This can happen if the phone is in a pocket without a clear view of the sky. I will add a notification to GliderLink when this happens.
>
> 2) If the goTenna firmware has not been updated to the latest, it may be suffering from the known problem that causes it to lose the bluetooth connection to your phone.
>
> 3) The goTenna battery may have died. This is less likely because the goTenna battery lasts quite a while.

The firmware is from this past spring. And the battery was fine. Loss of GPS signal could have happened. But it was working up to that point, and never started working again after that point in the flight. What happens if one taps the goTenna slider accidentally? Presumably disconnecting from the goTenna and not reconnecting again unless one taps it again?

Google