PDA

View Full Version : InReach Usage, SAR Insurance Plans

John Carlyle
May 16th 18, 07:36 PM
I found a great site from a paraglider pilot explaining how he uses his InReach in back-country flying: https://www.cloudbasemayhem.com/garmin-inreach-best-practices-for-adventurers/ In my opinion it explains all the important usage information much better than does Garmin.

Point 6 in his first list describes clearly how people can contact your InReach device. This understanding had taken me some time to acquire - I wish I’d seen this article first! He also gives a link to another article that describes what happens when you press the SOS button (see his last paragraph), which I found to be very interesting.

One other *very* interesting link is to yet another article that looks at search and rescue insurance (see his last paragraph). If you follow his links, you’ll see that the standard (read cheap) plans do NOT cover paragliding, hang-gliding, racing or aerobatics. I believe soaring IS covered (because they say licensed private aircraft are covered), but I’m not 100% sure (still trying to puzzle out the confusing insurance jargon).

Has anyone on RAS already put in the effort to figure out what soaring pilots might need in the way of search and rescue insurance?

-John, Q3

May 17th 18, 07:52 AM
What sort of primitive country charges for search and rescue I wonder?

May 17th 18, 11:02 AM
On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 2:52:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> What sort of primitive country charges for search and rescue I wonder?

Primitive countries like Switzerland. https://www.rega.ch/

Ron Gleason
May 17th 18, 02:57 PM
On Thursday, 17 May 2018 04:02:05 UTC-6, wrote:
> On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 2:52:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > What sort of primitive country charges for search and rescue I wonder?
>
> Primitive countries like Switzerland. https://www.rega.ch/

Many municipalities provide S&R operations using employees and volunteers. If needed they may rely on private entities to provide evacuation such as helicopters. This is where your costs go way up. There are numerous policies you can purchase, search this forum as it has been discussed before.

You can also look locally for good deals, in CO if you have a fishing license a level of S&R insurance is provided

John Carlyle
May 17th 18, 05:38 PM
Ron,

I searched RAS before I posted, and I just tried again. I wasn't able to find any threads where medical evacuation insurance was discussed. Do you have any links? Thanks!

-John, Q3

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 9:57:42 AM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
> Many municipalities provide S&R operations using employees and volunteers.. If needed they may rely on private entities to provide evacuation such as helicopters. This is where your costs go way up. There are numerous policies you can purchase, search this forum as it has been discussed before.
>
> You can also look locally for good deals, in CO if you have a fishing license a level of S&R insurance is provided

Dave White[_2_]
May 17th 18, 07:07 PM
Try searching for SAR insurance. Medical evacuation insurance is sold separate from SAR insurance. I have SAR insurance for my flying activities and medical evacuation insurance for general travel.

6X
May 23rd 18, 02:35 PM
My InReach track stopped displaying on GlidePort with no apparent explanation. I changed the URL reference on GlidePort.aero and in my SSA profile from my existing Delorme URL to Garmin (share.garmin.com/....) and it is now again displaying on GlidePort.

Google