PDA

View Full Version : remembrances of boulder city, NV glider operation with Blaniks

rich hehmann
May 31st 18, 07:35 PM
I remember the glider operation doing rides and instruction in Boulder City, NV using mostly Blaniks. Have great memories of flying there in the 80's and 90's. A nice couple---transplants from Chicago, ran it. What was the name of the operation and the couple?? When did it close??

Brad Alston
June 1st 18, 04:42 AM
I remember the glider operation doing rides and instruction in Boulder City, NV using mostly Blaniks. Have great memories of flying there in the 80's and 90's. A nice couple---transplants from Chicago, ran it. What was the name of the operation and the couple?? When did it close??

I flew out of the old Boulder City airport in the late 70's to early 80's. At that time we were flying 2-33's, 1-26's, and a Blanik. The operation was Desert Soaring run by Dick McKnight. Dick was a WWII glider veteran and a wonderful guy who always had an unlit cigar in his mouth. Lots of great memories flying there!

June 1st 18, 05:37 AM
Desert Soaring..Dick McKnight . Don't recall his wife's name. Thats more than a few weeks ago. Got the t-shirt....

JS[_5_]
June 1st 18, 07:11 AM
On Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 9:37:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Desert Soaring..Dick McKnight . Don't recall his wife's name. Thats more than a few weeks ago. Got the t-shirt....

In the eighties took one of the guys I worked with for a ride there. It was a laugh. Since Jack Secret had long hair and the dark sunglasses never came off, there was an hour of interrogation.
Jack used Microsoft Flight Simulator every day on a Commodore 64, had no trouble flying the Blanik. So much for profiling.
There is one hangar left where the old Boulder City airport was. The glider office (temporary tower from North Las Vegas) is gone.
Jim

Google