PDA

View Full Version : Digital altimeters

June 2nd 18, 10:13 PM
Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.

Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html

Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

2G
June 3rd 18, 05:22 AM
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:13:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.
>
> Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html
>
> Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

Even though you are experimental, your airworthiness certificate may be linked to a particular set of basic instruments. Best to check it out before you remove the Winter.
I have used an MGL engine monitoring instrument and thought their quality and documentation was above average. The new instruments have much improved readability.

Tom

Ross[_3_]
June 3rd 18, 06:26 AM
Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
It is a fully TSO altimeter.

https://www.air-avionics.com/

Enjoy

2G
June 3rd 18, 07:05 AM
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
> Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
> It is a fully TSO altimeter.
>
> https://www.air-avionics.com/
>
> Enjoy

The ACD-57 is about twice the price of the MGL and lacks an ASI.

Tom

Skypilot
June 3rd 18, 09:08 AM
I just bought a SZD55 with a digital altimeter and a LX9000. First thing I did was put a new Winter 57mm altimeter in it. Main reason was insurance payout is you break it outlanding, second reason was it looks awful and is hard to read.

Just my thoughts.

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
It is a fully TSO altimeter.

https://www.air-avionics.com/

Enjoy

The ACD-57 is about twice the price of the MGL and lacks an ASI.

Tom

June 3rd 18, 02:13 PM
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:13:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.
>
> Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html
>
> Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?

Its hard to find specific guidance for instruments in experimental gliders within the maze of FAA regulations, but as a practical matter, I found my Winter compact altimeter calibration was inadequate for safely flying close to restricted airspace, even after factory recalibration, so I took it out and use my CAI and LX altimeters, which have excellent calibration.

Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
June 3rd 18, 03:28 PM
On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
> Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
> It is a fully TSO altimeter.
>
> https://www.air-avionics.com/
>
> Enjoy

http://www.craggyaero.com/acd_altimeter.htm

I have one in my Glider and I have them in stock.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

jfitch
June 3rd 18, 03:36 PM
Richard, these are ETSO approved, does that make them FAA TSO'd as well? For use in a certified glider.

On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:28:11 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
> On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
> > Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
> > It is a fully TSO altimeter.
> >
> > https://www.air-avionics.com/
> >
> > Enjoy
>
> http://www.craggyaero.com/acd_altimeter.htm
>
> I have one in my Glider and I have them in stock.
>
> Richard
> www.craggyaero.com

Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
June 3rd 18, 03:50 PM
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:36:15 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
> Richard, these are ETSO approved, does that make them FAA TSO'd as well? For use in a certified glider.
>
> On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:28:11 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
> > > Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
> > > It is a fully TSO altimeter.
> > >
> > > https://www.air-avionics.com/
> > >
> > > Enjoy
> >
> > http://www.craggyaero.com/acd_altimeter.htm
> >
> > I have one in my Glider and I have them in stock.
> >
> > Richard
> > www.craggyaero.com

The ACD comes with a similar EASA document to that which comes with a Winter Altimeter. So my answer is ??????

AIR Control Display is a fully ETSO certified primary altimeter. It is an easy to read altimeter with really large numbers and perfect reliability, especially in high vibration environments like helicopters, old powered aircraft, or self launching motorgliders.

Regulation geeks will have to answer this one.

Richard.
www.craggyaero

JS[_5_]
June 3rd 18, 05:01 PM
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 6:13:25 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 2:13:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> > Tried of the 57mm Winter altimeter being too inaccurate even after being re-calibrated. Being EXPERIMENTAL, going to look into digital.
> >
> > Going to look at MGL Vega ASV-1 first as it displays altitude and airspeed. http://www.mglavionics.com/html/vega_color_singles.html
> >
> > Anyone had experience with this specific make/model?
>
> Its hard to find specific guidance for instruments in experimental gliders within the maze of FAA regulations, but as a practical matter, I found my Winter compact altimeter calibration was inadequate for safely flying close to restricted airspace, even after factory recalibration, so I took it out and use my CAI and LX altimeters, which have excellent calibration.

I use a calibrated Winter 57mm altimeter and regularly fly near or in Restricted airspace. The ALT display in the TT22 is a more important thing there..
Jim

Dan Marotta
June 3rd 18, 05:12 PM
Isn't the altitude display in the TT22 corrected to 29.92" Hg?

During wave flights and high thermal days, I use local field altimeter
setting on the baro altimeter.Â* At 17,900' MSL indicated I generally see
about 17.7 on the Trig.Â* I do NOT push up to 17.9 on the Trig given my
pressure altimeter will read around 18,200'.Â* I just don't need that
extra altitude at the risk of a call/letter/visit from FSDO.

--
Dan, 5J

June 3rd 18, 05:34 PM
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:05:10 AM UTC+1, 2G wrote:
> On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
> > Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
> > It is a fully TSO altimeter.
> >
> > https://www.air-avionics.com/
> >
> > Enjoy
>
> The ACD-57 is about twice the price of the MGL and lacks an ASI.
>
> Tom

It may be more expensive than the MGL unit but the fully certified AIR display (including altimeter activation fee) is slightly cheaper than a Winter altimeter - and there is the option of using the display to also control a compatible radio and transponder all from one 57mm hole.

2G
June 3rd 18, 05:58 PM
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 9:34:16 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 7:05:10 AM UTC+1, 2G wrote:
> > On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 10:26:53 PM UTC-7, Ross wrote:
> > > Why not simply go to Air Avionics?
> > > It is a fully TSO altimeter.
> > >
> > > https://www.air-avionics.com/
> > >
> > > Enjoy
> >
> > The ACD-57 is about twice the price of the MGL and lacks an ASI.
> >
> > Tom
>
> It may be more expensive than the MGL unit but the fully certified AIR display (including altimeter activation fee) is slightly cheaper than a Winter altimeter - and there is the option of using the display to also control a compatible radio and transponder all from one 57mm hole.

Which would be attractive if you have, as I do, a certified glider. Being certified, however, does not necessarily mean the instrument will be better, more reliable, more accurate, etc. The digital altimeter is, most likely, more reliable and accurate than the certified mechanical altimeter.

Tom

June 3rd 18, 08:22 PM
Use caution with the Air Avionics transponder if you need ADSB out. Last time I checked their transponder is not capable of a SIL-1 or SIL-3 level output.

Karl Kunz[_2_]
June 3rd 18, 08:38 PM
ATC sees only your Trig altitude , not your altimeter, never the less, probably prudent not to bust an IFR altitude with your calibrated altimeter.

June 3rd 18, 08:49 PM
Trig will not share communication code with AIRAvionics therefore ACD-57 will not operate a Trig COM or XPDR.

IMO, the 57mm Winter altimeter is a waste of money and panel space.The MGL Vega instruments are said to have good visibility in bright sunlight. I think it is worth a try but first would like to see one powered. Maybe at Oshkosh.

jfitch
June 3rd 18, 10:16 PM
On Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 12:49:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Trig will not share communication code with AIRAvionics therefore ACD-57 will not operate a Trig COM or XPDR.
>
> IMO, the 57mm Winter altimeter is a waste of money and panel space.The MGL Vega instruments are said to have good visibility in bright sunlight. I think it is worth a try but first would like to see one powered. Maybe at Oshkosh.

A marketing decision by Trig and in my opinion a bad one. The ACD-57 will control a Becker radio, and better than Becker's own front end. Surely it would be better than the Trig too, if Trig would only see the light.

I have altitude from the Air Vario, the CN Vario, the Trig, the iPhone, the inReach, and finally the Winter steam gage. It would be nice to get rid of the steam gage.

Dan Marotta
June 3rd 18, 10:33 PM
So...Â* You're never really quite sure of your actual altitude then. Or
do they all say the same thing?

On 6/3/2018 3:16 PM, jfitch wrote:
> I have altitude from the Air Vario, the CN Vario, the Trig, the iPhone, the inReach, and finally the Winter steam gage. It would be nice to get rid of the steam gage.

--
Dan, 5J

Google