PDA

View Full Version : Marion Griffith

7K
June 4th 18, 06:13 AM
Marion Griffith passed away on June 2nd in Georgetown, Texas. He was a past President of the SSA and instrumental in planning the first SSA convention in Dallas in 1972. Marion flew for Braniff as a check airman for many years and was the first US pilot to be rated on the Concord. Over the years, in the glider world, he flew a Libelle, Nimbus 2, 604 and an ASH25. He was a true gentleman and will be missed.

John Seaborn (A8)
June 4th 18, 02:43 PM
Mark said it best, "He was a true gentleman and will be missed"

Steve Leonard[_2_]
June 4th 18, 04:12 PM
Thank you for passing along the information, Mark. He will be missed by many. Such an amazing individual. I remember how he accepted being referred to as "Sherman's Father".

Godspeed to you, Marion. All who knew you are better for it.

Steve Leonard

June 5th 18, 03:45 PM
I remember Marion wearing an outrageous plaid suit jacket for a SSA convention in Dallas maybe 15 years ago. Was always a gentleman.

David Martin

June 6th 18, 12:08 AM
On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 10:45:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I remember Marion wearing an outrageous plaid suit jacket for a SSA convention in Dallas maybe 15 years ago. Was always a gentleman.
>
> David Martin

Yes sir, a perfect gentleman that will be missed. Made many contributions to our sport! I remember him telling a small gathering at the end of a soaring day of the two times the cockpit in the Concorde went totally black - one night over Denver at 50,000 feet.

June 6th 18, 02:16 AM
On Monday, June 4, 2018 at 1:13:54 AM UTC-4, 7K wrote:
> Marion Griffith passed away on June 2nd in Georgetown, Texas. He was a past President of the SSA and instrumental in planning the first SSA convention in Dallas in 1972. Marion flew for Braniff as a check airman for many years and was the first US pilot to be rated on the Concord. Over the years, in the glider world, he flew a Libelle, Nimbus 2, 604 and an ASH25. He was a true gentleman and will be missed.

A Great man, He helped us all, understood us all, he "got it".

Thought of him two evenings ago at 30W( mid ocean}, He knew that place well !!

Best to Sherman and the family

HW

June 6th 18, 07:31 PM
Don't think I ever had the pleasure of meeting him. Certainly heard a great many good things about him over the years from people I respect, as a pilot and gentleman and for his service to soaring in this country. Sounds like a life fully lived. Condolences to family and friends for their loss.

Chip Bearden

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
June 6th 18, 09:02 PM
Yep, can't say I met him, but have heard about him in over 49 years here and there.
Condolences to his family and friends, as well as anyone that knew him.

As Charlie Spratt would say, "Good finish",
Go have a chat with Charlie up above.

7K
June 7th 18, 03:02 AM
A fitting tribute to Marion.

https://www.facebook.com/sheryl.shewell/posts/10216149937204141

Tony[_5_]
June 7th 18, 05:36 PM
Sorry to hear. I loved his article "600 Miles in a 604" about his flight from Refugio to Liberal. Wish I would've gotten to meet him.

Google