PDA

View Full Version : WTB Piper Cub or similar Cockpit Glider Release

June 18th 18, 12:18 AM
Looking for Cockpit Glider Release lever mechanism to fit to Piper Cub.
Maybe able to modify cropdusting Dump Lever.

Roy B.
June 18th 18, 01:15 AM
On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 7:18:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Looking for Cockpit Glider Release lever mechanism to fit to Piper Cub.
> Maybe able to modify cropdusting Dump Lever.

See Below from Aircraft Spruce catalog:
ROY

GLIDER & BANNER TOW RELEASE HANDLE
The release handle is attached to the support bracket in the
cockpit of the airplane. A cable is attached to the handle
and tow hook release. FAA approval can be obtained for
the complete tow hook and release system by following the
guidelines in FAA Advisory Circular 43.13-2B, Chapter 8,
titled, “Glider and Banner Tow-Hitch Installations”. The release
handle is not STC or PMA approved.
PN 13-06283 .....................$179.00
GLIDER & BANNER TOW SUPPORT BRACKET
The support bracket is attached to the floor of the airplane
in the cockpit and is the housing that holds the
release handle. FAA approval can be obtained for the
complete tow hook and release system by following the
guidelines in FAA Advisory Circular 43.13-2B, Chapter 8,
titled, “Glider and Banner Tow-Hitch Installations”. The
support bracket is not STC or PMA approved.
PN 13-06284 .....................$127.00

Waveguru
June 18th 18, 02:06 AM
The floor is not a good place for the release. There has been speculation that when a glider pulls the tail up, it may be impossible to reach down for the release because of the negative Gs.

Boggs

Charles Longley
June 18th 18, 12:06 PM
Put it on the instrument panel.

Dan Marotta
June 18th 18, 03:31 PM
Memory fades, but my recollection is of floor mounted release levers
with an arm long enough to be easily reachable under negative g and long
enough to provide tremendous leverage.

--
Dan, 5J

June 18th 18, 08:56 PM
Floor mounted Cub tow releases :

1. Short lever/ball handle just inboard of the flap handle: it stays out of your way, but pilot must reach forward and down to pull release. If you have fixed shoulder straps, you can't reach it unless you loosen your left strap. If you have inertial reel harness, you can reach it, unless the inertial feature is actuating for some/unexpected reason.

2. Long lever just inboard of the flap handle: Depending on your geometry, the shoulder strap considerations (above) may still apply. Another consideration is that when you need full aft stick/with full left stick, your left leg will likely be trapped against this long handle, particularly if you are a shorter human with seat towards the forward stop. This may slightly impinge on the ability for that little last bit of full aft/full left stick authority you need, as the stick now squinches into your now-trapped left thigh vs into the stick's own aft/left stops.
Another issue with this long lever is the inadvertent kicking of it as a Cub pilot limbo's himself/herself into the front seat. You get all strapped in then realize that you released the hook and rope is laying on the ground. Unstrap yourself. Repeat.

Instrument Panel Mounted Cub tow releases:

Mount a T handle on left/lower side of instrument panel, it will be just a couple inches forward of your left hand when you are holding the throttle ball at full throttle. Priceless. Everyone wins.

LBC

June 18th 18, 10:10 PM
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 3:56:26 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Floor mounted Cub tow releases :
>
> 1. Short lever/ball handle just inboard of the flap handle: it stays out of your way, but pilot must reach forward and down to pull release. If you have fixed shoulder straps, you can't reach it unless you loosen your left strap. If you have inertial reel harness, you can reach it, unless the inertial feature is actuating for some/unexpected reason.
>
> 2. Long lever just inboard of the flap handle: Depending on your geometry, the shoulder strap considerations (above) may still apply. Another consideration is that when you need full aft stick/with full left stick, your left leg will likely be trapped against this long handle, particularly if you are a shorter human with seat towards the forward stop. This may slightly impinge on the ability for that little last bit of full aft/full left stick authority you need, as the stick now squinches into your now-trapped left thigh vs into the stick's own aft/left stops.
> Another issue with this long lever is the inadvertent kicking of it as a Cub pilot limbo's himself/herself into the front seat. You get all strapped in then realize that you released the hook and rope is laying on the ground. Unstrap yourself. Repeat.
>
> Instrument Panel Mounted Cub tow releases:
>
> Mount a T handle on left/lower side of instrument panel, it will be just a couple inches forward of your left hand when you are holding the throttle ball at full throttle. Priceless. Everyone wins.
>
> LBC

A lever mounted high likely will work but a T handle will only be useful dropping the rope. You can't pull hard enough if hook is under load for some hooks.
UH

kirk.stant
June 19th 18, 12:57 AM
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 4:10:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> A lever mounted high likely will work but a T handle will only be useful dropping the rope. You can't pull hard enough if hook is under load for some hooks.
> UH

Hopefully they are using a Tost release, as original poster is in NZ. That would probably work just fine with a panel T-handle - just like in a glider..

OT somewhat, but our Pawnees have the Tost internal tow rope reel system installed (works great) which use a guillotine to release the rope if needed. Rope is pretty substantial, but that guillotine cuts it like a knife through butter with only a gentle pull on the (short) release handle, mounted right in front of the throttle. Same release handles were hooked up to the Schweizer hooks we had before; they took a much harder pull to release the rope - especially with a vertical force (yes we tried the "kiting" condition). Strongly encourage you to try your releases with the rope under tension at odd angles - better to know ahead of time how they will work when really needed!

Kirk
66

Google