PDA

View Full Version : Locating device mounting

June 23rd 18, 04:08 PM
Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH

John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
June 23rd 18, 04:49 PM
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
> I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
> My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
> I got it wrong.
> My Spot will go back on the harness.
> 1- It stays with me.
> 2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
> FWIW
> UH
Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.

I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.

Ramy[_2_]
June 23rd 18, 04:57 PM
Absolutely. Your spot or inreach should be with you. They both work very well even if they have limited view of the sky.
Same goes to your cell phone (and a spare external battery) should be in your pocket, preferrebly a zipped pocket.

Ramy

June 23rd 18, 05:03 PM
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:49:34 AM UTC-4, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
> On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
> > I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
> > My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
> > I got it wrong.
> > My Spot will go back on the harness.
> > 1- It stays with me.
> > 2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
> > FWIW
> > UH
> Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.
>
> I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.

Might consider adding a spare pair of spectacles (as needed) to the SMAK Pak or somewhere secure on your person.

JS[_5_]
June 23rd 18, 05:05 PM
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 8:08:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
> I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
> My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
> I got it wrong.
> My Spot will go back on the harness.
> 1- It stays with me.
> 2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
> FWIW
> UH

Our local rigger has sewn hard points on a few parachute harnesses for us, and made pouches for the SPOT and InReach. Keeps the tracker in a good place during flight, does not interfere with parachute operation and then usable if you really need it.
Here is an example installed on a 2003 Mini Softie with PD235 square.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s0nnzvffi195jq/InReach%20on%20Softie.jpg?dl=0
Jim

June 23rd 18, 08:12 PM
My SPOT has been on my chute harness since acquired, although I do wonder about the strength of the built-in velcro strap. My mobile phone went back in my zipped/buttoned pocket this season. I still tuck my wallet away in the cockpit to avoid sitting on it but I'm rethinking that. The suggestion of carrying spare glasses is a good one, as is limited survival equipment: my space blanket, first aid kit, etc., are behind a luggage panel now. There's always more we can do to be safer while still enjoying the freedom to fly the way we like. One problem is that with what I'm carrying now, I'm stuffed into the cockpit already. I wore a hole in the skin inside my right elbow area rubbing against a buckle/strap in a long, tense flight at R2N last week due to pressure on my arm from the pocket on the cockpit sidewall.

Chip Bearden

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
June 23rd 18, 08:48 PM
Wish you could edit the thread title.......
I first thought an ELT (where to find the aircraft), but you're talking a PLB. Yes, a PLB should be with the pilot although finding the wreckage may help find the pilot if the PLB is in the aircraft.

Good thoughts.

Many other good posts/thoughts down the thread. Glasses is a good one since most of us need them. Even a cheap set from the local pharmacy is better than really long arms.....

Hope my thread title change aids others in a search.....;-)

Eric Greenwell[_4_]
July 15th 18, 04:11 AM
John Godfrey (QT) wrote on 6/23/2018 8:49 AM:
> On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>> Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
>> I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
>> My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
>> I got it wrong.
>> My Spot will go back on the harness.
>> 1- It stays with me.
>> 2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
>> FWIW
>> UH
> Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.
>
> I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.
>
You have the parachute to keep you warm and provide some shelter. What is the
purpose of the space blanket?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Dec 2014a" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm

http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf

John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
July 15th 18, 01:10 PM
On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:11:58 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> John Godfrey (QT) wrote on 6/23/2018 8:49 AM:
> > On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> >> Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
> >> I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
> >> My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
> >> I got it wrong.
> >> My Spot will go back on the harness.
> >> 1- It stays with me.
> >> 2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
> >> FWIW
> >> UH
> > Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.
> >
> > I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.
> >
> You have the parachute to keep you warm and provide some shelter. What is the
> purpose of the space blanket?
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
> - "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
> - "Transponders in Sailplanes - Dec 2014a" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
>
> http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf

Parachute may get hung up on landing (trees, rocks) and not be useable (see YO pictures). Takes up very little volume.

Dan Daly[_2_]
July 15th 18, 02:20 PM
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 8:10:06 AM UTC-4, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
> On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 11:11:58 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> > John Godfrey (QT) wrote on 6/23/2018 8:49 AM:
> > > On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> > >> Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
> > >> I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little when on the chute harness.
> > >> My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
> > >> I got it wrong.
> > >> My Spot will go back on the harness.
> > >> 1- It stays with me.
> > >> 2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even if I have bailed out.
> > >> FWIW
> > >> UH
> > > Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to the front of your chute. Otherwise it is camping gear.
> > >
> > > I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine). SMAK PAK Survival Kit on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space blanket.
> > >
> > You have the parachute to keep you warm and provide some shelter. What is the
> > purpose of the space blanket?
> >
> > --
> > Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
> > - "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
> > https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications/download-the-guide-1
> > - "Transponders in Sailplanes - Dec 2014a" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
> >
> > http://soaringsafety.org/prevention/Guide-to-transponders-in-sailplanes-2014A.pdf
>
> Parachute may get hung up on landing (trees, rocks) and not be useable (see YO pictures). Takes up very little volume.

Also waterproof (and can be used as a field expedient water container), and glints in sunlight, which is very handy for a SAR crew looking for you.

Dan Marotta
July 15th 18, 04:32 PM
A space blanket staked out on the ground can be a good signaling device.

And, for those of us who want a cushion between our lower backs and
parachutes, consider a rolled up blanket.Â* Your rigger should be able to
sew on some soft straps or cords with which to tie it securely in place.

On 7/14/2018 9:11 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
> John Godfrey (QT) wrote on 6/23/2018 8:49 AM:
>> On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4,
>> wrote:
>>> Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink
>>> my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
>>> I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best
>>> view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little
>>> when on the chute harness.
>>> My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening
>>> both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
>>> I got it wrong.
>>> My Spot will go back on the harness.
>>> 1- It stays with me.
>>> 2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even
>>> if I have bailed out.
>>> FWIW
>>> UH
>> Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to
>> the front of your chute.Â* Otherwise it is camping gear.
>>
>> I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine).Â* SMAK PAK Survival Kit
>> on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space
>> blanket.
>>
> You have the parachute to keep you warm and provide some shelter. What
> is the purpose of the space blanket?
>

--
Dan, 5J

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
July 15th 18, 09:41 PM
Blanket is better than nothing.
"Space foam" (various names) is better, although sucks when cold until it warms up a bit.
Trust me, I know.
I have now broken my back twice (non aviation related), spinal comfort is good.
Yes, I have done sorta long flights in a 1-26, no good way to fit there. Kudos to those that do 10hrs or so in the seat....sheesh......thus, "Iron Butt" comment.......

2G
July 24th 18, 04:06 AM
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 1:41:58 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> Blanket is better than nothing.
> "Space foam" (various names) is better, although sucks when cold until it warms up a bit.
> Trust me, I know.
> I have now broken my back twice (non aviation related), spinal comfort is good.
> Yes, I have done sorta long flights in a 1-26, no good way to fit there. Kudos to those that do 10hrs or so in the seat....sheesh......thus, "Iron Butt" comment.......

A signalling mirror is also a good idea. Here is how to use one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvMD7u2jOI

Tom

Google