PDA

View Full Version : US Standard Nationals -- Day 1

Retting
August 1st 18, 03:54 AM
With a stiff breeze out of the north, the fleet was launch about 12:50 pm with the gate opening at 13:46. 6+ kt climbs out the top were the norm with most everyone starting quickly feeling that the day would soften around 16:30 to 1700.
The first run was out to the WSW into a scattered field of small cu's and wisps that marked 5kt+ lift that were sometimes broken up. A couple of 8+ were encountered providing a quick climb to 8,000'+. A cool temp glide band 5-8 proved ideal for a very comfortable flight.
One had to fight the temptation to turn SW towards the second turn where the sky conditions looked fantastic, or run out of miles with time remaining.
Once into the better area 6-10+ was the norm, always in the same spot beneath the clouds. The thermals were a little more spicy, narrow. One couldn't let ones horsey loose.
After 2 hours , time to run home into the wind keeping on the high side at 8k. I push a little too hard and fell into a hole that others reported hitting with heavy sink. Had to bump along at 3500' until a 10kt break came along. Interesting, no heavy sink was encountered until the final run.
A steering turn 6 miles west had everyone hitting the finish line (NS) for a right turn onto a downwind landing north.
Check the SSA site for the results. I believe M Westbrook won the day. Now that the blood has been drawn, Best I can do is get out of the way and let the big dogs eat (Lee Travino).
It will be fun.
"Tight Turns!"

Retting
August 1st 18, 03:57 AM
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 9:54:28 PM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
> With a stiff breeze out of the north, the fleet was launch about 12:50 pm with the gate opening at 13:46. 6+ kt climbs out the top were the norm with most everyone starting quickly feeling that the day would soften around 16:30 to 1700.
> The first run was out to the WSW into a scattered field of small cu's and wisps that marked 5kt+ lift that were sometimes broken up. A couple of 8+ were encountered providing a quick climb to 8,000'+. A cool temp glide band 5-8 proved ideal for a very comfortable flight.
> One had to fight the temptation to turn SW towards the second turn where the sky conditions looked fantastic, or run out of miles with time remaining.
> Once into the better area 6-10+ was the norm, always in the same spot beneath the clouds. The thermals were a little more spicy, narrow. One couldn't let ones horsey loose.
> After 2 hours , time to run home into the wind keeping on the high side at 8k. I push a little too hard and fell into a hole that others reported hitting with heavy sink. Had to bump along at 3500' until a 10kt break came along. Interesting, no heavy sink was encountered until the final run.
> A steering turn 6 miles west had everyone hitting the finish line (NS) for a right turn onto a downwind landing north.
> Check the SSA site for the results. I believe M Westbrook won the day. Now that the blood has been drawn, Best I can do is get out of the way and let the big dogs eat (Lee Travino).
> It will be fun.
> "Tight Turns!"

Oh...we had a ice cream social tonight.....
The tow pilots and ground staff were excellent...
4 line boys, more like line jocks, ran there arses off....
No runs, no drips, no errors....a perfect day best I know.

August 1st 18, 06:00 AM
Sounds like a great time out there so far. Thanks for the thorough reports, they really add something!

August 1st 18, 02:34 PM
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 10:57:58 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 9:54:28 PM UTC-5, Retting wrote:
> > With a stiff breeze out of the north, the fleet was launch about 12:50 pm with the gate opening at 13:46. 6+ kt climbs out the top were the norm with most everyone starting quickly feeling that the day would soften around 16:30 to 1700.
> > The first run was out to the WSW into a scattered field of small cu's and wisps that marked 5kt+ lift that were sometimes broken up. A couple of 8+ were encountered providing a quick climb to 8,000'+. A cool temp glide band 5-8 proved ideal for a very comfortable flight.
> > One had to fight the temptation to turn SW towards the second turn where the sky conditions looked fantastic, or run out of miles with time remaining.
> > Once into the better area 6-10+ was the norm, always in the same spot beneath the clouds. The thermals were a little more spicy, narrow. One couldn't let ones horsey loose.
> > After 2 hours , time to run home into the wind keeping on the high side at 8k. I push a little too hard and fell into a hole that others reported hitting with heavy sink. Had to bump along at 3500' until a 10kt break came along. Interesting, no heavy sink was encountered until the final run.
> > A steering turn 6 miles west had everyone hitting the finish line (NS) for a right turn onto a downwind landing north.
> > Check the SSA site for the results. I believe M Westbrook won the day. Now that the blood has been drawn, Best I can do is get out of the way and let the big dogs eat (Lee Travino).
> > It will be fun.
> > "Tight Turns!"
>
> Oh...we had a ice cream social tonight.....
> The tow pilots and ground staff were excellent...
> 4 line boys, more like line jocks, ran there arses off....
> No runs, no drips, no errors....a perfect day best I know.

Also a great entry. 19 in the class. More than 15's(17) and Open(13). Long live the Standard class! Having Std's not grouped in contests that pinch entries down seems to help.
Have fun you guys and gals.
UH/OH

Jonathan St. Cloud
August 1st 18, 03:24 PM
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 7:54:28 PM UTC-7, Retting wrote:
> With a stiff breeze out of the north, the fleet was launch about 12:50 pm with the gate opening at 13:46. 6+ kt climbs out the top were the norm with most everyone starting quickly feeling that the day would soften around 16:30 to 1700.
> The first run was out to the WSW into a scattered field of small cu's and wisps that marked 5kt+ lift that were sometimes broken up. A couple of 8+ were encountered providing a quick climb to 8,000'+. A cool temp glide band 5-8 proved ideal for a very comfortable flight.
> One had to fight the temptation to turn SW towards the second turn where the sky conditions looked fantastic, or run out of miles with time remaining.
> Once into the better area 6-10+ was the norm, always in the same spot beneath the clouds. The thermals were a little more spicy, narrow. One couldn't let ones horsey loose.
> After 2 hours , time to run home into the wind keeping on the high side at 8k. I push a little too hard and fell into a hole that others reported hitting with heavy sink. Had to bump along at 3500' until a 10kt break came along. Interesting, no heavy sink was encountered until the final run.
> A steering turn 6 miles west had everyone hitting the finish line (NS) for a right turn onto a downwind landing north.
> Check the SSA site for the results. I believe M Westbrook won the day. Now that the blood has been drawn, Best I can do is get out of the way and let the big dogs eat (Lee Travino).
> It will be fun.
> "Tight Turns!"

Thank you!!! Your reporting makes me wish I still had a Standard class glider to fly in your contest. If I read the contestant sheet correct there are also two Ladies flying the contest, when was the last time that happened?!

Tony[_5_]
August 1st 18, 03:35 PM
Kathy Fosha and Sarah Arnold both flew the 2014 Sports Class Nationals at TSA...

Jonathan St. Cloud
August 1st 18, 04:32 PM
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 7:35:44 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
> Kathy Fosha and Sarah Arnold both flew the 2014 Sports Class Nationals at TSA...

I only returned to soaring in 2015. It is nice to see the ladies competing in nationals.

Michael Opitz
August 1st 18, 04:37 PM
At 14:24 01 August 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

>Thank you!!! Your reporting makes me wish I still had a Standard
class glider to fly in your contest. If I read the contestant sheet
correct there are also two Ladies flying the contest, when was the
last time that happened?!

Actually, the same two ladies flew in the US Club Class Nationals
last year at Hobbs.

RO

Jonathan St. Cloud
August 1st 18, 10:33 PM
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 8:45:05 AM UTC-7, Michael Opitz wrote:
> At 14:24 01 August 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
>
> >Thank you!!! Your reporting makes me wish I still had a Standard
> class glider to fly in your contest. If I read the contestant sheet
> correct there are also two Ladies flying the contest, when was the
> last time that happened?!
> >
> Actually, the same two ladies flew in the US Club Class Nationals
> last year at Hobbs.
>
> RO
Gosh fellows, thanks for pointing this out. However, I think the message that we have multiple women flying the STD nationals is being supplemented by the message that I had not noticed this, the two other times it happened.
Just wanted to give a shout out to the ladies, forgive me for not doing the background research. Very literal crowd.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
August 1st 18, 10:47 PM
I wonder how long it's been since more than 2 women have flown a glider competition?

Tony[_5_]
August 2nd 18, 11:07 AM
The women's worlds last year? ;)

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
August 2nd 18, 12:49 PM
Touché........I should have said "except Women's comps".....

JS[_5_]
August 2nd 18, 05:16 PM
On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 2:47:29 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> I wonder how long it's been since more than 2 women have flown a glider competition?

Darling Downs Soaring Club's Easter comp?
Jim

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
August 2nd 18, 05:28 PM
Should I throw in the HHSC Snowbird?

Thread is a US Nats.

Ok.......Frikkin really specific........any regional/National contest...like, any competition that relates to national pilot ranking, when has there been more than 2 women pilots in the US, I will accept Canada, since some cross over easily.

I am really looking at the USofA, since, well, that is where most here are from.

Frankly, if someone can fly a sailplane, I don't care the gender. We are pilots (outside of some specific new competitions or the older "PowderPuff derbies").

Outside of Riggs and King, I would love to see some gender crossover contests. I would hazard to say quite a few females would do well.
In sailplanes, it is more a thinking game, endurance helps, but many levels are fairly even.

And no, I am not running for office, nor can I act/be accepted as a politician. Well, less than Bernie and others, but trying to keep politics out of this.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
August 2nd 18, 05:30 PM
Hey, back on topic, thanks for whatever you can provide to RAS. At least I appreciate it. I don't care if it is a "copy paste" from social media.

WaltWX[_2_]
August 2nd 18, 05:44 PM
Check out my weather briefings at this site

http://bit.ly/2NRgdVy

Posting various soaring graphics in each daily folder.

Walter Rogers WX

WaltWX[_2_]
August 13th 18, 06:48 AM
A reminder...

All my weather briefings for the U.S. Standard Class nationals are in the URL below. Just enter the folders and sub folders for each day.

http://bit.ly/2NRgdVy

Reference an earlier post criticizing the rest day. Mark Keene's calling of a rest day on Aug 3rd was more from a safety and rest point of view. I did not think it would be a cloud less day. Really... all days were pretty darn good with fair weather cu all the way up to 30 pct coverage and cu or towering cu, but not really any OD. Days 4 and 5 had some issues with cirrus and a long blue area glide in/out of a turn point which caused a couple of top scoring pilot land outs.

The last day is analyzed in the COSPA folder with my README. There you will see a series of COSPA videos for two hour increments through a 10 hour period. They show high res visible imagery (GOES-16), radar and lightning data..

Walt Rogers WX
Weather Support for Standard Nats

On Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 9:44:57 AM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
> Check out my weather briefings at this site
>
> http://bit.ly/2NRgdVy
>
> Posting various soaring graphics in each daily folder.
>
> Walter Rogers WX

Google