PDA

View Full Version : Air brake won’t lock

August 9th 18, 02:27 PM
My Ventus airbrake doesn’t always stay closed during the roll out on tow. Now our grass runway is hard and ruff and causes a lot of bouncing around but over the last few years the brake come on if I don’t lean my hand against it. Is there any adjustments or could something have broke? I can’t see anything when I inspect the linkage.

DC

August 9th 18, 03:34 PM
Which Ventus? The Ventus 1 has a gas spring on the airbrake mechanism that holds the spoilers in detent. It’s probably losing it’s charge and replacing that will be a straight forward fix if V1. Not as familiar with V2-3.

August 9th 18, 04:06 PM
Where is the gas spring located? I have an original B model.

DC

August 9th 18, 05:17 PM
It’s on the left side and it’s a small-ish strut that if memory serves pushes straight down. Think it may be mounted to the bottom of the cross tube which the wing pins go into. When the spoilers are locked it pushes down and somewhat forward. When you unlock the spoilers the linkage rotates aft and down.

Ventus_a
August 10th 18, 01:15 AM
My Ventus airbrake doesn’t always stay closed during the roll out on tow. Now our grass runway is hard and ruff and causes a lot of bouncing around but over the last few years the brake come on if I don’t lean my hand against it. Is there any adjustments or could something have broke? I can’t see anything when I inspect the linkage.

DC

Hi Dave

There is an adjustable stop that could be adjusted to allow the bellcrank to go a little further in the locking direction that may help if the gas strut is weak but replacing the gas strut remains the best option.

I have attached a drawing that shows the strut position

:-) Colin

Ventus_a
August 10th 18, 11:20 PM
DC

Hi Dave

Also, the last time I flew my Ventus I had the brakes come open after lift off on tow. I sank back on heavily, hurting my back and neck, but continued with the takeoff. The glider was inspected and no damage found and I was sore for a couple of days.

I'm replacing the gas strut before I fly it again

:-) Colin

August 30th 18, 04:02 PM
On Thursday, August 9, 2018 at 9:27:08 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> My Ventus airbrake doesn’t always stay closed during the roll out on tow. Now our grass runway is hard and ruff and causes a lot of bouncing around but over the last few years the brake come on if I don’t lean my hand against it. Is there any adjustments or could something have broke? I can’t see anything when I inspect the linkage.
>
> DC

I have the piston, trying to e mail you

August 31st 18, 01:35 PM
Hi Heinz

I just sent you another email with my address. Let me know if you have received it. Thank you.

Dennis

Google