PDA

View Full Version : Final Day Uvalde

August 19th 18, 07:00 PM
Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph.. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.

CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.

Papa3[_2_]
August 19th 18, 08:08 PM
"Don't dilly dally." Also, no lollygagging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnIaqAsnSxU

August 19th 18, 08:18 PM
2:15 report. A little later getting off than expected, but both classes are on Task A, 3 hrs. TATs. 15M Opened at 13:45, Opens at 14:15. We shall see if they hang around. Nice cu to the south as well as over the airfield.

August 20th 18, 02:15 AM
On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.
>
> CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.

I cannot see the final results of the Open and 15m competition - only 2 entries
and 1 partial entry - please advise - thanks in advance

Retting
August 20th 18, 02:21 AM
Banquet night....the two u saw was accidental. Look for it at 1030pm edt.

Tony[_5_]
August 20th 18, 03:40 AM
well...

JS[_5_]
August 20th 18, 03:44 AM
On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 7:40:29 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
> well...

Last year at 18m Nationals in Uvalde quite a few of us didn't get to the banquet this early...
Jim

Tom Kelley #711
August 20th 18, 04:30 AM
On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.
>
> CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.

15M Nats. 1st:Rick Indrebo, 2nd: Sarah Arnold, 3rd: Gary Ittner, 4th: David Leonard, 5th: Peter Dean
Open Class Nats: 1st: Dick Butler, 2nd: David Mockler, 3rd: Jim Lee, 4th: Keith Essex, 5th: Ron Tabery

Dan Mockler
August 20th 18, 04:53 AM
At 03:30 20 August 2018, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
>On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>> Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to
>N=
>W, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for
>tasks.=
> Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon
>progress=
>es, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets
>better=
> in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic
about
>=
>stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to
>18m=
>ph. Seabreeze doesn=E2=80=99t look to be a factor.
>>=20
>> CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more
clouds=E2=
>=80=A6.1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with
>ci=
>rrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence
decision
>=
>to head out early. Don=E2=80=99t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both
>class=
>es.
>
>15M Nats. 1st:Rick Indrebo, 2nd: Sarah Arnold, 3rd: Gary Ittner, 4th:
>David=
> Leonard, 5th: Peter Dean
>Open Class Nats: 1st: Dick Butler, 2nd: David Mockler, 3rd: Jim Lee, 4th:
>K=
>eith Essex, 5th: Ron Tabery

Thank you Tom

Retting
August 20th 18, 12:23 PM
“.....on Tuesday....when the scorer gets home.....after he cuts his grass....maybe....”

Auxvache
August 20th 18, 12:31 PM
Congrats to all for what looks like an exciting, challenging, and safe race! Hope we hear some of the stories behind the scores at some point.

Might be a good time to make the most respectful and gentle request that the relevant SSA committees reconsider a move toward adoption of SeeYou scoring and SoaringSpot.

August 20th 18, 04:33 PM
On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.
>
> CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.

What happened to Seaborn on the last day ?

Tony[_5_]
August 20th 18, 04:49 PM
Lawn Dart :( I know that feeling all too well

Ron Gleason
August 20th 18, 05:01 PM
On Monday, 20 August 2018 09:33:32 UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> > Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.
> >
> > CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.
>
> What happened to Seaborn on the last day ?

lawn dart, flight logs available for review on SSA site

Tom Kelley #711
August 20th 18, 05:04 PM
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 9:33:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, August 19, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> > Final Day 15M/Open Class Nats: Mark Keene on todays weather. Cirrus to NW, sliding to SW. It could become in play later. Southern area for tasks. Thermals 3000/4000 feet at 1pm, but gets better as the afternoon progresses, again in the SW. Sky Site shows 4/5 knots about 12:30 and gets better in the southern part. Pessimistic up in the NW. NAM is pessimistic about stuff coming from the NW later in the day. Winds at Laredo 9mph up to 18mph. Seabreeze doesn’t look to be a factor.
> >
> > CD John Lubon: Expecting things to get going sooner with more clouds….1st turn to south to get into good area. If we have to deal with cirrus that might or might not come in later, perhaps may influence decision to head out early. Don’t dilly dally. 3 hr. Area tasks both classes.
>
> What happened to Seaborn on the last day ?

On the SSA website under soaring news is a video of daily winner Rick Indrebo. He talks of the first glide after staring. Seems they got extremely low, some lower than others. He found his first climb around 1200 agl and was above Dave ZL who was at 700 agl, Said it made him feel high. It's a good video to watch and also daily winner Dave Mocker is on video. http://www.ssa.org/. Logs are now up on the SSA site, so you can download and watch who ever's flight.

Best. Tom #711.

August 20th 18, 08:14 PM
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
> Lawn Dart :( I know that feeling all too well

Been there- Done that.
UH

Andy Blackburn[_3_]
August 20th 18, 08:39 PM
On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 12:14:20 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 11:49:43 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
> > Lawn Dart :( I know that feeling all too well
>
> Been there- Done that.
> UH

Two pilots in one contest.

9B

August 21st 18, 02:01 AM
It was a long glide across a big blue hole. I thought I was the first to start but when I got there ZL was heading back to field just above my altitude of 900 I went under him and about 3 miles from the field we were looking at I put down the gear and started dumping water had decided to land at about 700 agl when I got a little beep on the vario. shut the valve and started to climb at 1kt. ZL saw me on flarm and came back to climb up with me just as I was getting to 2kts and 1200agl the "pack" arrived and we all proceeded to limb a few k then moved on to better clouds forming to the south and decreasing high cirrus. A8 arrived too late and missed the bubble :( The rest of the flight for most was very fast and pretty good except a long 50 mile final with little lift. Had I not dumped most of my water I would have been a few miles an hour faster :)

CH ASW27

Google