PDA

View Full Version : Cobra trailer latching problem

JJ Sinclair
August 27th 04, 02:32 PM
I'm finding it increasingly harder and harder to latch the aluminum
top of my Cobra trailer after closing it. Investigation revealed the
whole top has moved forward about 1/4 inch (5mm) I believe this was
caused by the gas struts that hold the top in the up position, when
extended, actually apply considerable forward force when in the
closer, or down position. The hinge points look OK and there are no
cracks, but I can see some bending in the aluminum skin just forward
of the pivot bolts (bent forward)
Help, what's the fix?
JJ Sinclair

TomnKeyLargo
August 27th 04, 10:43 PM
Take a BIG hammer, closer your eyes, and you know the rest. # 711.

Kilo Charlie
August 28th 04, 12:16 AM
I haven't had your problem JJ....got a fiberglass top Cobra myself....but
have noted that at the back end the lower walls are getting farther apart
with age. It's almost to the point that one of the inside bolt latches (it
only came with one side bolted but I put one on the other side too) barely
makes contact with the trailer side. I had been ignoring it since the only
solution seemed to be the one that 711 suggested and wasn't ready to deal
with that much brutality. Maybe a comealong would do it but then it might
pull in the "good" side.

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix

Nolaminar
August 28th 04, 12:42 AM
Check with Alfred Spindelberger.
I know of this problem on much older Cobra trailers and there is a fix.
GA

Bill Staley
August 30th 04, 01:19 AM
JJ... Alfred Spindelberger has a fix. There are 2 fixtures that you
bolt on the inside of the braces to bring the sprung sides of the
trailer back inward. I am sure you could make a set yourself. Be
careful..the braces I got rubbed the trailing edge of the wing when I
closed the top. I had to remove them.

Bill Staley
9N
Goodlettsville, TN

"Kilo Charlie" > wrote in message news:<6hPXc.4451$bT1.3979@fed1read07>...
> I haven't had your problem JJ....got a fiberglass top Cobra myself....but
> have noted that at the back end the lower walls are getting farther apart
> with age. It's almost to the point that one of the inside bolt latches (it
> only came with one side bolted but I put one on the other side too) barely
> makes contact with the trailer side. I had been ignoring it since the only
> solution seemed to be the one that 711 suggested and wasn't ready to deal
> with that much brutality. Maybe a comealong would do it but then it might
> pull in the "good" side.
>
> Casey Lenox
> KC
> Phoenix

JJ Sinclair
September 23rd 04, 10:21 PM
I fixed it! The hinge bolt is welded to a plate that is 1/4 inch back
from the cross bar (on a newer Cobra) On my trailer this plate was
touching the cross bar. With the trailer open and the hinge bolts
loose, I inserted two 1/4" shims, closed the trailer and tightened up
the bolts that hold the hinge plates. Problem solved, my Cobra now
closes and latches,OK.
:>) JJ

(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message >...
> I'm finding it increasingly harder and harder to latch the aluminum
> top of my Cobra trailer after closing it. Investigation revealed the
> whole top has moved forward about 1/4 inch (5mm) I believe this was
> caused by the gas struts that hold the top in the up position, when
> extended, actually apply considerable forward force when in the
> closer, or down position. The hinge points look OK and there are no
> cracks, but I can see some bending in the aluminum skin just forward
> of the pivot bolts (bent forward)
> Help, what's the fix?
> JJ Sinclair

Google