PDA

View Full Version : SNav / LNav Question

Dan Pitman
September 2nd 04, 12:37 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know the difference between an LNav and
and SNav? I know historically the LNav was positioned
as a 'budget' SNav, but looking at the manuals for
the current versions there doesn't seem to be any appreciable
difference between the two.

If anyone could outline the 'family tree' for the CAI
kit I would be most grateful.

Cheers,

Dan

Brian Iten
September 2nd 04, 04:28 PM
I do believe that two differences are that the LNav
is set up for gear/spoiler warning along with a temperature
probe. The SNav does not come with these options unless
cambridge has released a different board and program.
Brian

At 12:00 02 September 2004, Dan Pitman wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know the difference between an LNav and
>and SNav? I know historically the LNav was positioned
>as a 'budget' SNav, but looking at the manuals for
>the current versions there doesn't seem to be any appreciable
>difference between the two.
>
>If anyone could outline the 'family tree' for the CAI
>kit I would be most grateful.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Dan

Paul Remde
September 2nd 04, 06:58 PM
Hi,

The S-NAV included task creation screens. When GPS units became inexpensive
the L-NAV became much more popular as tasks were done in the Garmin or
GPS-NAV. The S-NAV then slowly faded away. It does everything an L-NAV
does. It can connect to a GPS-NAV and send airspeed data through a GPS-NAV
to Glide Navigator II.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Dan Pitman" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know the difference between an LNav and
> and SNav? I know historically the LNav was positioned
> as a 'budget' SNav, but looking at the manuals for
> the current versions there doesn't seem to be any appreciable
> difference between the two.
>
> If anyone could outline the 'family tree' for the CAI
> kit I would be most grateful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dan

John Sinclair
September 2nd 04, 06:58 PM
When we got the ASH-25, it had an S-nav, but no manual.
I saked Cambridge to send me a manual for S-Nav. They
sent me an L-Nav manual, saying everything was the
same. Does that answer your question.
:>) JJ

John Galloway
September 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
From Cambridge website FAQ:

What are the differences between the S-NAV and the
L-NAV?

The S-NAV was designed in 1986 to do everything a pilot
might want in a gliding instrument. Its hardware and
software have been upgraded many times as we and our
customers learned what is useful. Building on 5 years
of experience, the L-NAV was designed in 1991 with
a simplified user interface to do what 90% of pilots
want 90% of the time.

The S-NAV supports two variometer displays. The second
display can be configured for 7 different functions.
The L-NAV has one variometer display.

The S-NAV has a high resolution, 12 bit A/D converter;
the L-NAV has a 10 bit A/D converter. This gives the
S-NAV the following extra capabilities:
An aerobatic g-Meter with ±10g range
Altimeter range of 0 - 36,000 ft. (L-NAV is 0
- 25,000 ft)
Electronic fine tuning of Total Energy Compensation

John Galloway

At 18:18 02 September 2004, John Sinclair wrote:
>When we got the ASH-25, it had an S-nav, but no manual.
>I saked Cambridge to send me a manual for S-Nav. They
>sent me an L-Nav manual, saying everything was the
>same. Does that answer your question.
>:>) JJ

Google