PDA

View Full Version : Dual Tires on Libelle 201b

Ray Lovinggood
September 3rd 04, 02:17 PM
The September 2004 issue of 'SOARING' magazine has
photos of the Libelle 201b flown by American Tim McAllister
in the Third Club Class World Gliding Championships
and this slighty tweaked Libelle looks a bit different.

1. It has winglets, and
2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!

It probably has other tweaks that aren't apparent to
my eyes.

What's the deal with the dual tires? Does it permit
a higher gross weight? But if it can carry a lot of
water, do the European Club Class rules allow water?
Or, are the duals just one way to boost the glider's
weight without carrying 'ballast.'?

No, I don't have a 201, but I do find these tweaks
interesting.

Thanks,

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Robertmudd1u
September 3rd 04, 05:44 PM
>1. It has winglets, and
>2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!

Ray, I too noticed the appearance of dual tires on the Libelle. I have no
answer for that. But it does raise the question of where in the world does the
second tire retract. The Libelle already has a small tire and wheel well.

As to the winglets, I do have an answer to that one. Winglets are available
through
http://www.streifly.de/
This is Hanko Streifeneder's company. They are said to improve the glide ratio
a bit.

Robert Mudd

Robert Danewid
September 3rd 04, 07:42 PM
Tim told us that the Libelle used to have an engine on a pod and the
dual tires made it possible to taxi and take off without a wing runner.

I am still amazed on how the wheels disappeared in the fuselage.

Robert Danewid
Chief steward at the WGC 2004

Robertmudd1u wrote:
>>1. It has winglets, and
>>2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!
>>

> Ray, I too noticed the appearance of dual tires on the Libelle. I have no
> answer for that. But it does raise the question of where in the world does the
> second tire retract. The Libelle already has a small tire and wheel well.
>
> As to the winglets, I do have an answer to that one. Winglets are available
> through
> http://www.streifly.de/
> This is Hanko Streifeneder's company. They are said to improve the glide ratio
> a bit.
>
> Robert Mudd

For Example John Smith
September 3rd 04, 08:01 PM
Ah, so they're not just for landing in peat bogs as one might surmise from
reading the article.
Speaking of landouts in contests, have any of the venues lived up to
expectations this year? Seems like weather's been weak everywhere, at least
during the contests.

"Robert Danewid" > wrote in message
> Tim told us that the Libelle used to have an engine on a pod and the
> dual tires made it possible to taxi and take off without a wing runner.
>
> I am still amazed on how the wheels disappeared in the fuselage.
>
> Robert Danewid
> Chief steward at the WGC 2004
>

> Robertmudd1u wrote:
> >>1. It has winglets, and
> >>2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!
> >>

> > Ray, I too noticed the appearance of dual tires on the Libelle. I have
no
> > answer for that. But it does raise the question of where in the world
does the
> > second tire retract. The Libelle already has a small tire and wheel
well.

> > As to the winglets, I do have an answer to that one. Winglets are
available
> > through
> > http://www.streifly.de/
> > This is Hanko Streifeneder's company. They are said to improve the glide
ratio
> > a bit.
> >
> > Robert Mudd

Dirk Elber
September 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
Ray,
This was the posting from the TEAM Reports from Norway in regards to the
Gear.

All of the U.S. gliders have passed their technical inspections today,
and Tim's Libelle is of particular interest to everyone here because of
its landing gear - it has a dual undercarriage (like an ASW 22).
<http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/images/04%20norway/09jun_EY_techinspection.jpg>

This fine example of a Libelle 201b belongs to Christian Streifeneder of
Germany, but it used to belong to someone who converted it into a
motorglider. He modified the landing gear and used a removable
pole-mounted motor behind the cockpit to fly around the skies of
Switzerland under power! Christian has since patched the holes for the
motor, but the one-of-a-kind gear remains. It is wacky but it works, and
it's a great conversation starter, even with people who don't speak
English.

The winglets are Striefeneder's as well.

Ray Lovinggood wrote:

>The September 2004 issue of 'SOARING' magazine has
>photos of the Libelle 201b flown by American Tim McAllister
>in the Third Club Class World Gliding Championships
>and this slighty tweaked Libelle looks a bit different.
>
>1. It has winglets, and
>2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!
>
>It probably has other tweaks that aren't apparent to
>my eyes.
>
>What's the deal with the dual tires? Does it permit
>a higher gross weight? But if it can carry a lot of
>water, do the European Club Class rules allow water?
> Or, are the duals just one way to boost the glider's
>weight without carrying 'ballast.'?
>
>No, I don't have a 201, but I do find these tweaks
>interesting.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ray Lovinggood
>Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

tango4
September 3rd 04, 08:32 PM
"Robertmudd1u" > wrote in message
> >1. It has winglets, and
> >2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!
> >

> Ray, I too noticed the appearance of dual tires on the Libelle. I have no
> answer for that. But it does raise the question of where in the world does
the
> second tire retract. The Libelle already has a small tire and wheel well.
>
> As to the winglets, I do have an answer to that one. Winglets are
available
> through
> http://www.streifly.de/
> This is Hanko Streifeneder's company. They are said to improve the glide
ratio
> a bit.
>
> Robert Mudd

That and they look totally cool and scare the hell out of the competition!

Ian
Ex wingletted libelle owner

Ulrich Neumann
September 3rd 04, 09:42 PM
Ray Lovinggood > wrote in message >...
> The September 2004 issue of 'SOARING' magazine has
> photos of the Libelle 201b flown by American Tim McAllister
> in the Third Club Class World Gliding Championships
> and this slighty tweaked Libelle looks a bit different.
>
> 1. It has winglets, and
> 2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!
>
> It probably has other tweaks that aren't apparent to
> my eyes.
>
> What's the deal with the dual tires? Does it permit
> a higher gross weight? But if it can carry a lot of
> water, do the European Club Class rules allow water?
> Or, are the duals just one way to boost the glider's
> weight without carrying 'ballast.'?
>
> No, I don't have a 201, but I do find these tweaks
> interesting.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray Lovinggood
> Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

The story I got is this: the H201 is owned by HJ Streifeneder jun. and
was loaned to Tim for the Club Class World's. HJ bought it from a
fellow in Switzerland, who did convert it to the dual wheels and even
had a stick-mounted engine on top. The engine went, the wheels stayed.
Take a look at the picture gallery at http://www.streifly.de/. You can
find a H201 with winglets and some radical fuselage-wing fairings.
There is a lot of life left in these old birds!

Uli Neumann
Libelle H301 "GM"

Mark James Boyd
September 3rd 04, 10:33 PM
And dang, Soaring mag has definitely improved. Full color
is really a boon. Makes me wanna take a nice picture!

--

------------+
Mark Boyd

Bob Salvo
September 6th 04, 05:34 PM
Anyone know how the brakes are set up?

"Dirk Elber" > wrote in message
> Ray,
> This was the posting from the TEAM Reports from Norway in regards to the
> Gear.
>
> All of the U.S. gliders have passed their technical inspections today,
> and Tim's Libelle is of particular interest to everyone here because of
> its landing gear - it has a dual undercarriage (like an ASW 22).
> <http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/images/04%20norway/09jun_EY_techinspection.jpg>

> This fine example of a Libelle 201b belongs to Christian Streifeneder of
> Germany, but it used to belong to someone who converted it into a
> motorglider. He modified the landing gear and used a removable
> pole-mounted motor behind the cockpit to fly around the skies of
> Switzerland under power! Christian has since patched the holes for the
> motor, but the one-of-a-kind gear remains. It is wacky but it works, and
> it's a great conversation starter, even with people who don't speak
> English.
>

> The winglets are Striefeneder's as well.
>

> Ray Lovinggood wrote:
>
> >The September 2004 issue of 'SOARING' magazine has
> >photos of the Libelle 201b flown by American Tim McAllister
> >in the Third Club Class World Gliding Championships
> >and this slighty tweaked Libelle looks a bit different.
> >
> >1. It has winglets, and
> >2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!
> >
> >It probably has other tweaks that aren't apparent to
> >my eyes.
> >
> >What's the deal with the dual tires? Does it permit
> >a higher gross weight? But if it can carry a lot of
> >water, do the European Club Class rules allow water?
> > Or, are the duals just one way to boost the glider's
> >weight without carrying 'ballast.'?
> >
> >No, I don't have a 201, but I do find these tweaks
> >interesting.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Ray Lovinggood
> >Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Robertmudd1u
September 7th 04, 01:02 AM
>Anyone know how the brakes are set up?

Bob,

You arn't thinking of putting dual wheel on your Genesis are you? :-)

Robert

Bob Salvo
September 7th 04, 04:10 PM
With separate brake controls, one for each wheel. :-)

"Robertmudd1u" > wrote in message
> >Anyone know how the brakes are set up?
>
> Bob,
>
> You arn't thinking of putting dual wheel on your Genesis are you? :-)
>
> Robert

Region 3 Contest
September 9th 04, 04:34 PM
Ray Lovinggood > wrote in message >...
> The September 2004 issue of 'SOARING' magazine has
> photos of the Libelle 201b flown by American Tim McAllister
> in the Third Club Class World Gliding Championships
> and this slighty tweaked Libelle looks a bit different.
>
> 1. It has winglets, and
> 2. It has dual tires, like the ASW-22!
>
> What's the deal with the dual tires? Does it permit
> a higher gross weight? But if it can carry a lot of
> water, do the European Club Class rules allow water?

That was the first thing that caught my eye on this libelle. I sure
think that the dual wheel makes the glider look "ugly". It sure looks
a lot better when the wheel is up and out of the way.

Tim Hanke
Libelle 201b -WL

Google