PDA

View Full Version : Re: Checklist 101 (was Re: How Low to Spin??

stephanevdv
September 6th 04, 01:15 PM
About the correct order of actions in a checklist: what about putting in
last what you actually want to do last?

When I first learned to soar, one of the first items in the oral
checklist was: canopy closed and locked. I promptly inverted that with
the last item (it was the same initial K in Dutch), because I didn't
want to close the canopy and have to sweat it out during the rest of
the control procedure (that included hook-up, so it was often a lengthy
proces). Most of my friends used the list "as is", but left the canopy
open...

Same problem with airbrakes: on many glider types, closing and locking
them is the last thing you do before or during rolling (wheel brake
coupled with airbrake lever, rolling with open airbrakes to increase
aileron effectivity). OK, you can check earlier on that they work
correctly, but I do that before getting in the glider.

--
stephanevdv
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Vaughn
September 6th 04, 02:00 PM
"stephanevdv" > wrote in message

> About the correct order of actions in a checklist: what about putting in
> last what you actually want to do last?
>
> When I first learned to soar, one of the first items in the oral
> checklist was: canopy closed and locked. I promptly inverted that with
> the last item (it was the same initial K in Dutch), because I didn't
> want to close the canopy and have to sweat it out during the rest of
> the control procedure (that included hook-up, so it was often a lengthy
> proces). Most of my friends used the list "as is", but left the canopy
> open...
>
> Same problem with airbrakes: on many glider types, closing and locking
> them is the last thing you do before or during rolling (wheel brake
> coupled with airbrake lever, rolling with open airbrakes to increase
> aileron effectivity). OK, you can check earlier on that they work
> correctly, but I do that before getting in the glider.

I mildly disagree. A checklist is something that you do from top to bottom
without interruption. If you get interrupted, you should start again at the
top. My glider pre-takeoff checklist takes less than 30 seconds, I can do it
while the tug is taking up slack and (while doing it) I castigate myself if I
find an item that is not already safe.

Vaughn

Mark James Boyd
September 7th 04, 12:41 AM
stephanevdv > wrote:

>About the correct order of actions in a checklist: what about putting in
>last what you actually want to do last?

This is in the USA commonly called a "flow check." It's
sometimes inevitable for reasons like the one you describe.

Sometimes, with really important items that simply can't be
done priority first, it's best to shout the item loudly, in German,
when it is supposed to be done. This ensures you will do it,
and makes everyone laugh (unless they are German).
--

Mark Boyd

Google