PDA

View Full Version : LX5000 FAI : any reason to keep my VL ?

Ludovic Launer
September 19th 04, 07:34 AM
Hi,

I'm going to have a LX5000 FAI. The whole point of the following questions
is to know whether I should keep my Volkslogger or not:

I have an IPAQ with Winpilot.

Can you correct me if I'm wrong, add your comments / experience on the
subject:

1)
From what I've read on the filser web site, you can get NMEA sentences out
of the LX5000, which could then feed winpilot with GPS information.
This is very basic and I guess should work as advertised. Any experience on
that ?

Couldn't find the wiring diagram on the website or online documentation
though...Any idea where I can get it? or is it supposed to come with the
unit ?

2)
The LX5000 FAI has engine noise level sensor. This information can be turned
on and stored in the IGC file.

3)
Can Winpilot download/upload flights/turnpoints/info to and from the LX5000
?

I've seen that flyWithCE DownLoader could do that. Has anyone been using it
? If so, are you happy with it ?

Thanks,
Ludovic

tango4
September 19th 04, 10:15 AM
Can't answer most of your questions except the last one.

I'm using flyWithCE DownLoader with an LX1600 / Colibri combination.It works
faultlessly 100% of the time.
Best Euro 15 I've spent on my saoring so far!

As to why to keep the Volkslogger in general. If you fly comps having a
backup IGC logger could save you a days score one day.

Ian

Chip Fitzpatrick
September 19th 04, 01:34 PM
go to the LX navigation website, www.lxnavigation.si, click on LX
Navigation and on downloads in the next window, then manuals on
download menu. You can find a manual for all the products there in
..PDF

If you are concerned about having a backup system keep the VL.
Otherwise, the 5000 will do everything you want and then some. I have
a 7000 and can run any IPAQ nav program. The data stream output has
to be set to winpilot. I believe the 5000 is virtually the same.

Wings and Wheels also should have the manual on their website.

Chip Fitzpatrick

Tim Newport-Peace
September 19th 04, 02:16 PM
In article >, Ludovic Launer
> writes
>Hi,
>
>I'm going to have a LX5000 FAI. The whole point of the following questions
>is to know whether I should keep my Volkslogger or not:
>
>I have an IPAQ with Winpilot.
>
>Can you correct me if I'm wrong, add your comments / experience on the
>subject:
>
>1)
>From what I've read on the filser web site, you can get NMEA sentences out
>of the LX5000, which could then feed winpilot with GPS information.
>This is very basic and I guess should work as advertised. Any experience on
>that ?
>
>Couldn't find the wiring diagram on the website or online documentation
>though...Any idea where I can get it? or is it supposed to come with the
>unit ?

----snip----------

I would have expected it to come with the unit, but I have a wiring
diagram (includes other LX recorders as well) which I will post at:

http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/temp/LX-wiring.pdf

Best regards,

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."

Ludovic Launer
September 19th 04, 09:29 PM
Thanks a lot.
Where are NMEA sentences coming out from ?
From the RS232C ? or from the PC-RS232C ?
Or both maybe ?

Is the BINDER 5pin male the round shape connector ?

Regards,
Ludovic

> I would have expected it to come with the unit, but I have a wiring
> diagram (includes other LX recorders as well) which I will post at:
>
> http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/temp/LX-wiring.pdf

Tim Newport-Peace
September 19th 04, 10:47 PM
>From the RS232C ? or from the PC-RS232C ?
>Or both maybe ?

As I see it...

The connector marked 'SUD25 Female' is on the back of the LX5000. The
TXD output (pin 20) is common to the RS232C and PC-RS232C so you have a
choice where you connect your PDA, but using the RS232C is probably
better as then the wiring can be behind the panel. The PC-RS232C is
primarily intended for connecting a PC for downloading IGC files.

>Is the BINDER 5pin male the round shape connector ?

Yes. It is the same style of connector but the male variant of the
female socket used on older Volksloggers,

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."

Clint
September 20th 04, 06:13 AM
"Ludovic Launer" > wrote in message >...
> Thanks a lot.
> Where are NMEA sentences coming out from ?
> From the RS232C ? or from the PC-RS232C ?
> Or both maybe ?
>
> Is the BINDER 5pin male the round shape connector ?
>
> Regards,
> Ludovic

I replaced the little 5-pin round connector with a std 9-pin plug for
my LX 5000. This is used to download data from the unit as well as
connecting to my PDA to get the NMEA sentences.

Clinton
LAK 12

Dave Piotrowski
September 20th 04, 12:05 PM
I've been considering purchasing an LX 5000. I was thinking if I did
so I could do away with the PDA. Given the capabilities built into the
LX unit itself, what does running WinPilot or other PDA based program
give you? (Besides color moving map).

(Clint) wrote in message >...
> "Ludovic Launer" > wrote in message >...
> > Thanks a lot.
> > Where are NMEA sentences coming out from ?
> > From the RS232C ? or from the PC-RS232C ?
> > Or both maybe ?
> >
> > Is the BINDER 5pin male the round shape connector ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ludovic
>

> I replaced the little 5-pin round connector with a std 9-pin plug for
> my LX 5000. This is used to download data from the unit as well as
> connecting to my PDA to get the NMEA sentences.
>
> Clinton
> LAK 12

Ludovic Launer
September 20th 04, 12:26 PM
> LX unit itself, what does running WinPilot or other PDA based program
> give you? (Besides color moving map).

"Belt and suspenders" as we say in French...
It's usefull sometimes to have one unit with a turn point / col / airfield
as the goto point, and another having a field as the goto point.
I use that method very often.
Plus, the Winpilot PDA brings color moving map + portable system to upload /
downloaf flights.

I haven't used a LX5000 yet, but I guess I'll be using both the LX and
Winpilot. Which means I can do without the Volkslogger now...
Anyone looking for a second-hand VL ?

Regards,
Ludovic

Owain Walters
September 20th 04, 04:36 PM
Hi,

How does having winpilot cover the loss of a back up
logger?

I too, have a LX5000 on the way and would be interested
to know if winpilot or Seeyou mobile talks to the LX
unit. i.e. can you declare tasks in the LX using the
Ipaq? Or is the Ipaq merely a slave?

Thanks,

Owain

At 11:48 20 September 2004, Ludovic Launer wrote:

>> LX unit itself, what does running WinPilot or other
>>PDA based program
>> give you? (Besides color moving map).
>
>'Belt and suspenders' as we say in French...
>It's usefull sometimes to have one unit with a turn
>point / col / airfield
>as the goto point, and another having a field as the
>goto point.
>I use that method very often.
>Plus, the Winpilot PDA brings color moving map + portable
>system to upload /
>downloaf flights.
>
>I haven't used a LX5000 yet, but I guess I'll be using
>both the LX and
>Winpilot. Which means I can do without the Volkslogger
>now...
>Anyone looking for a second-hand VL ?
>
>Regards,
>Ludovic

Chip Fitzpatrick
September 20th 04, 05:45 PM
I'm using either Downloader via an IPAQ or LXE with a laptop to move
information so I don't know much about the Winpilot interface.
However, the Winpilot uses the same NMEA data stream As Fly With CE.
The settings can be found under the setup menu. That is accessible
through the menus behind Password.

The NMEA stream goes through the 232. The LX7K had a cable set
labeled Winpilot which hooked into the dangling 232 cable. I think
the only purpose it served was a wiring reconfiguration to support
IPAQ communication.

The round shaped 5 pin I connect to a female terminated cable to a 232
serial to the laptop. I've never checked to see if the NMEA data goes
to this port.

"Ludovic Launer" > wrote in message >...
> Thanks a lot.
> Where are NMEA sentences coming out from ?
> From the RS232C ? or from the PC-RS232C ?
> Or both maybe ?
>
> Is the BINDER 5pin male the round shape connector ?
>
> Regards,
> Ludovic
>

> > I would have expected it to come with the unit, but I have a wiring
> > diagram (includes other LX recorders as well) which I will post at:
> >
> > http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/temp/LX-wiring.pdf

Clint
September 21st 04, 06:37 AM
(Dave Piotrowski) wrote in message >...
> I've been considering purchasing an LX 5000. I was thinking if I did
> so I could do away with the PDA. Given the capabilities built into the
> LX unit itself, what does running WinPilot or other PDA based program
> give you? (Besides color moving map).

I use the LX 5000 for final glide (it is always set to my home
airport), speed to fly and averaging when I fly. I use the PDA (Palm
running Soaringpilot) for navigation on the task and the thermal-zoom
graphic is very useful. The investment in the Palm (~$130) and
software (free) is minimal for the added convenience it gives in the
cockpit. No endless fiddling with the LX between the graphic and
numeric displays. Both units log the flight but recovering the data
from the LX involves lugging a laptop to the glider. I only bother
when the memory is getting full and then recover all the flights for
historic purposes. For the flight analysis in the evenings after the
flight - I use the log from Soaringpilot. If you need an FAI approved
log (for the odd diamond or world record) - then the LX 5000 log (for
the later models) is then needed, as the PDA log is not approved. I do
not have a colour (not a spelling mistake - it is how we spell color
in Africa) PDA as the Palm colour units are poor in direct sunlight
(plenty of that in Africa as well) and do not have the money for an
IPAQ and Winpilot.

Clinton
LAK 12

Janos Bauer
September 21st 04, 08:40 AM
Clint wrote:
> not have a colour (not a spelling mistake - it is how we spell color
> in Africa) PDA as the Palm colour units are poor in direct sunlight
> (plenty of that in Africa as well) and do not have the money for an
> IPAQ and Winpilot.

I use a Tungsten T and previously an M515. Both has color display and
has no problem under sunlight. Avoid T2, T3 and zire types, that units
has the problem what you described.
Regards,

/Janos

Google