PDA

View Full Version : OCTOBERFEST 2004, Chihowee Gliderport, Tennessee

chris
September 23rd 04, 03:37 AM
Chilhowee Soaring Association, Inc. will be hosting its annual
Oktoberfest 2004 weekend Celebration on October 22,23,24, 2004.

Come out this weekend to enjoy the camaraderie and fun! As always, we
look forward to hosting aviation enthusiasts from all over!

Look for details coming soon on meal tickets, registration, and other
such items.

For more information, contact Sarah Kelly at -

sarah @ hangar-a .com

423-506-9015

www.Chilhowee.com

Joe Simmers
September 23rd 04, 01:15 PM
Chilhowee is a great place to fly, however I was there last year
during oktoberfest and there were well over 40-45 pilots that showed
up!
This makes for an incredibly crowded sky on a ridge day since the
ridge at Chilhowee is less than 5 miles long. Not to mention when it
shuts down and everyone wants to land at once!

About 30 miles due west of Chilhowee is the Sequatchie Valley with
over 60 miles of pristine ridge to run on both sides of the valley!!
This place is truly gliderpilot paradise and I am truly amazed at how
much it is underutilized by glider pilots as everyone seems to go to
Chilhowee.

The owner of the gliderport (John Lawton) purchased the operation from
Art Matthews about 2 years ago and it is now running as a club.

This is a little more of an advanced site than Chilhowee just because
the field is located in the foothills of the valley, so it is not the
best place if you are a low time pilot!

They have an awesome high horse pawnee that does a marvelous job of
getting many pilots up in short order.

The grounds are like a country club and the grass field is so smooooth
you think you are landing on blacktop! The showers (on field) and
other facilities are the nicest I have seen anywhere!!

John is doing his best to promote the club but he does not have much
money to spend on adverising so it is word of mouth.

The club is located at Whitwell, TN. In the middle of the valley.
About 30 miles NW of chatanooga.

If you are an intermediate-advanced pilot with good landing skills you
simply need to check this place out!!!

Although they operate as a club tows during the week are readily
available, just call John the night before to make sure the heater is
on the towplane.

I plan to spend as much time as possible here this fall!!

Joe Simmers

SEQUATCHIE SOARING SOCIETY
CONTACT INFO: John Lawton Cell 423-240-0064 Field phone 423-658-6029
Email:

> Chilhowee Soaring Association, Inc. will be hosting its annual
> Oktoberfest 2004 weekend Celebration on October 22,23,24, 2004.
>
> Come out this weekend to enjoy the camaraderie and fun! As always, we
> look forward to hosting aviation enthusiasts from all over!
>
> Look for details coming soon on meal tickets, registration, and other
> such items.
>
> For more information, contact Sarah Kelly at -
>
> sarah @ hangar-a .com
>
> 423-506-9015
>
> www.Chilhowee.com

chris
September 30th 04, 04:31 AM
(Joe Simmers) wrote in message >...
> Chilhowee is a great place to fly, however I was there last year
> during oktoberfest and there were well over 40-45 pilots that showed
> up!
> This makes for an incredibly crowded sky on a ridge day since the
> ridge at Chilhowee is less than 5 miles long. Not to mention when it
> shuts down and everyone wants to land at once!

The local Chilhowee ridge is more than 16 miles long - plus a skilled
ridge runner can continue north from there. see these links:
http://www.chilhowee.com/fastruns.html
http://www.chilhowee.com/sarasridgeflightnumber1.jpg

When octfest is very crowded it does take extra caution, also there
are 2 alternate landing sites, one a runway called Hurricane that is
even closer to the ridge - about .9mile away and the sod farm right
next to the runway.

I fly at both place and support both, but the Octoberfest is a special
event.

regards,
Chris

Google