PDA

View Full Version : Mono wheel motorgliders

Bob Babcock
September 23rd 04, 09:32 PM
Could I ask what operating the mono wheel motorgliders, such as the
Fournier RF-4, Ask-14, Europa, is like. I have not found much written
on ground handling and crosswind operation of these undercarriages.

I am interested in the systems with the small outriggers for self
launch operation.

It would seem that the mono wheel would have far superior drag
reduction than conventional landing gear. It also seems it would be
much harder to operate on the ground. Any insights would be
appreciated.

Eric Greenwell
September 23rd 04, 09:49 PM
Bob Babcock wrote:

> It would seem that the mono wheel would have far superior drag
> reduction than conventional landing gear. It also seems it would be
> much harder to operate on the ground. Any insights would be
> appreciated.

It would be better to find out how the particular glider you are
interested in operartes, rather than wonder in general about "monowheel"
glilders. For example, all self-launching sailplanes (PIK-20E, ASH 26 E,
DG 400/800, etc) are monowheel gliders; they can all taxi - some much
better than others. Generally, the major limitation is the taxiway width
required (half a span), but this can often be dealt with by taxiing on
the runway. Secondary is crosswinds, which conventional gear can handle
better if the two wheels have independent brakes.

Ask an owner!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Bob Babcock
September 24th 04, 07:12 PM
I'm most interested in the operation of the Fournier RF4 of moderate
span. Also the Schliecher ASK-14 of greater span. The classic tractor
powered single seat plane is the style I'm researching. The more
modern self launchers with a rear engine system do not interest me. I
hope there are people here who have some direct experience. Thanks in
advance.

Eric Greenwell > wrote in message .

> It would be better to find out how the particular glider you are
> interested in operartes, rather than wonder in general about "monowheel"
> glilders. For example, all self-launching sailplanes (PIK-20E, ASH 26 E,
> DG 400/800, etc) are monowheel gliders; they can all taxi - some much
> better than others. Generally, the major limitation is the taxiway width
> required (half a span), but this can often be dealt with by taxiing on
> the runway. Secondary is crosswinds, which conventional gear can handle
> better if the two wheels have independent brakes.
>
> Ask an owner!

cernauta
September 25th 04, 12:39 AM
(Bob Babcock) wrote:

>Could I ask what operating the mono wheel motorgliders, such as the
>Fournier RF-4, Ask-14, Europa, is like. I have not found much written
>on ground handling and crosswind operation of these undercarriages.

I am used to the SF-25 of my club. It has a single track undercarriage
with quite a big main wheel, and two small plastic outriggers ending
in one very small each.
The handling is simple and easy. Just be careful not to get caought in
wet and soft terrain/mud during the winter.
On the SF-25, landings and taxi operation must be executed with the
stick all the way back. Always. Or you'll put the glider on its nose
(and propeller). Never release the stick, even if bouncing a landing.

I would consider a taildragger twin track undercarriage an upgrade,
with very limited and disputable disadvantages on drag. But single is
fine.

bye

Aldo Cernezzi

Google