PDA

View Full Version : Florida Gliderport damage

Thomas Knauff
September 29th 04, 01:20 PM
Here is a message I received about the glider operation at Gardner Airport
near Arcadia, Florida. Pat and Harriet were inducted into the SSA Hall of
Fame at last year's SSA convention. They began a commercial gliderport in
Ohio, nearly 40 years ago, and moved to Florida, probably 30 years ago,
training many glider pilots over the years. I suggest each of us consider
sending them a check for a future tow or two. They need and deserve our
help.

Tom Knauff

This morning I talked to Pat Hange at Gardner Airport just north of
Arcadia.
Pat survived Hurricane Charley - but just barely!

Her house is badly damaged in the center portion and it is not livable
until repairs are made. Her telephone is working but she has no power
yet.
She is staying with her friend Debbie Hollingsworth and she is looking
for a camper trailer to rent while repairs are being made.

Her Citabria is totaled, her CE-150 is totaled, her two place
Schweizer 222 received severe damage, but her single seater Schweizer 136
escaped without any damage.
She said that the hangar held up.

Only the CE-150 was hull insured. She wants to sell her single seat
Schweizer 136,
which she said is very special with winglets. She hopes that she can
get $15,000 for this one.

Her plans are to repair the two place Schweizer 222 and acquire
another towplane.

If you could help with any of the Pat's requirements, I know that she
will deeply appreciate
it. Maybe you know someone looking to buy a single seat sailplane or
has a towplane for sale. Maybe you have a camper you could rent.

I normally donate to the Red Cross in time of disasters, but this time
I decided to put
Pat Hange's name on the check and send it directly to her.

If you are considering contributing to a disaster fund at all, you
might consider sending your donation directly to Pat and help her get back
to earning a living a little bit sooner. Pat has no
idea that I am sending this letter.

Her address: Patricia J. Hange
2399 S.E. E&T Circle
Arcadia, Fl 33606

The phone # where she can be reached at the moment: 863-494-4236
(friend's)
Her Home phone #: 863-735-1132.

Thomas Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies