PDA

View Full Version : Elder Statesman/Most Senior Glider Pilot? - Otto Zauner

Mike Fadden
October 2nd 04, 03:25 AM
One of our club members has been approached by a local newspaper
reporter wanting to do story on him. It seems the reporter was tipped
off that he may be the oldest glider pilot in southern New Jersey. The
subject of the story would be Otto Zauner, a name that may be familiar
to many of you who have been around for a while. At 83 or 84 (I'm not
sure which at the time I'm writing this) Otto safely flys every
weekend the weather cooperates and assembles his Discus by himself. He
flew the tow plane and his RV up until few years ago when the
aggravation of jumping through hoops to get his medical (which he
always passed)became to much. This remarkable fellow still does most
of the work on our L-13 and Pawnee. While no longer competing, he
crews for club members who do. (For you PGC guys - Otto built that
winch I've heard you been using of late). Anyway, this idea of "oldest
glider pilot" got me wondering about how much further than South
Jersey Otto can extend his title. Now, I'm not talking about the
oldest person alive with a glider rating but active pilots. Any
challengers?

BTW, I'd like to hear from anyone who might be able to share any Otto
stories they may have. If you know the man you also know he is very
humble and getting him to talk about his accomplishments is no easy
task.

Mike Fadden
ASW 15

Lord Struthers
October 2nd 04, 05:07 AM
Hod Taylor, senior pilot at Soar Minden turned 85 recently.
Rich Lord

BTIZ
October 2nd 04, 05:34 AM
we have one out here.. 84 or 85 last summer.. still flying tow planes, and
instructing in gliders..
I'll not state his name without talking to him first..

BT

"Mike Fadden" > wrote in message
om...
> One of our club members has been approached by a local newspaper
> reporter wanting to do story on him. It seems the reporter was tipped
> off that he may be the oldest glider pilot in southern New Jersey. The
> subject of the story would be Otto Zauner, a name that may be familiar
> to many of you who have been around for a while. At 83 or 84 (I'm not
> sure which at the time I'm writing this) Otto safely flys every
> weekend the weather cooperates and assembles his Discus by himself. He
> flew the tow plane and his RV up until few years ago when the
> aggravation of jumping through hoops to get his medical (which he
> always passed)became to much. This remarkable fellow still does most
> of the work on our L-13 and Pawnee. While no longer competing, he
> crews for club members who do. (For you PGC guys - Otto built that
> winch I've heard you been using of late). Anyway, this idea of "oldest
> glider pilot" got me wondering about how much further than South
> Jersey Otto can extend his title. Now, I'm not talking about the
> oldest person alive with a glider rating but active pilots. Any
> challengers?
>
> BTW, I'd like to hear from anyone who might be able to share any Otto
> stories they may have. If you know the man you also know he is very
> humble and getting him to talk about his accomplishments is no easy
> task.
>
> Mike Fadden
> ASW 15

Stewart Kissel
October 2nd 04, 04:12 PM
http://www.eaa808.org/deanbaird/dean.htm

Colorado's contribution, Dean is 83 or 84. He just
gave a buddy of mine his power check ride the other
day...also flies towplanes, glider instruction and
power as well as his Examiner duties.

Seems like every other pilot I meet in Colorado got
checked out by Dean.

Shawn
October 2nd 04, 05:12 PM
Stewart Kissel wrote:
> http://www.eaa808.org/deanbaird/dean.htm
>
> Colorado's contribution, Dean is 83 or 84. He just
> gave a buddy of mine his power check ride the other
> day...also flies towplanes, glider instruction and
> power as well as his Examiner duties.
>
> Seems like every other pilot I meet in Colorado got
> checked out by Dean.

Yup, 10 years ago.

Greg Arnold
October 2nd 04, 06:28 PM
For a 93 year old pilot, see page 9 of the May 2004 issue of Southern
California Soaring (www.socalsoaring.com).

Stewart Kissel wrote:

> http://www.eaa808.org/deanbaird/dean.htm
>
> Colorado's contribution, Dean is 83 or 84. He just
> gave a buddy of mine his power check ride the other
> day...also flies towplanes, glider instruction and
> power as well as his Examiner duties.
>
> Seems like every other pilot I meet in Colorado got
> checked out by Dean.

Doug Taylor
October 2nd 04, 07:51 PM
High Desert Soaring in Bend OR has probably the most experienced tow
pilot team anywhere. Both senior tow pilots are 86 years young.
Great guys that do a great job with more than 100 years of flying
experience between them. Congratulations Rollie and Lynn! Rollie
also is current in Gliders. Don't know for sure if Lynn is.

(Mike Fadden) wrote in message >...
> One of our club members has been approached by a local newspaper
> reporter wanting to do story on him. It seems the reporter was tipped
> off that he may be the oldest glider pilot in southern New Jersey. The
> subject of the story would be Otto Zauner, a name that may be familiar
> to many of you who have been around for a while. At 83 or 84 (I'm not
> sure which at the time I'm writing this) Otto safely flys every
> weekend the weather cooperates and assembles his Discus by himself. He
> flew the tow plane and his RV up until few years ago when the
> aggravation of jumping through hoops to get his medical (which he
> always passed)became to much. This remarkable fellow still does most
> of the work on our L-13 and Pawnee. While no longer competing, he
> crews for club members who do. (For you PGC guys - Otto built that
> winch I've heard you been using of late). Anyway, this idea of "oldest
> glider pilot" got me wondering about how much further than South
> Jersey Otto can extend his title. Now, I'm not talking about the
> oldest person alive with a glider rating but active pilots. Any
> challengers?
>
> BTW, I'd like to hear from anyone who might be able to share any Otto
> stories they may have. If you know the man you also know he is very
> humble and getting him to talk about his accomplishments is no easy
> task.
>
> Mike Fadden
> ASW 15

NigelPocock
October 2nd 04, 11:16 PM
Derek Piggot turned 80 last year and celebrated it by flying a 500km in an ME7
- in england!

Mark Zivley
October 3rd 04, 12:36 AM
Tom Hardy in Mississippi is certainly in this group. Don't know his
exact age, but guessing he's middle latter 80's and last I saw him he
was still going strong. He was at Marfa again this year w/ his DG400M.

Mike Fadden wrote:
> One of our club members has been approached by a local newspaper
> reporter wanting to do story on him. It seems the reporter was tipped
> off that he may be the oldest glider pilot in southern New Jersey. The
> subject of the story would be Otto Zauner, a name that may be familiar
> to many of you who have been around for a while. At 83 or 84 (I'm not
> sure which at the time I'm writing this) Otto safely flys every
> weekend the weather cooperates and assembles his Discus by himself. He
> flew the tow plane and his RV up until few years ago when the
> aggravation of jumping through hoops to get his medical (which he
> always passed)became to much. This remarkable fellow still does most
> of the work on our L-13 and Pawnee. While no longer competing, he
> crews for club members who do. (For you PGC guys - Otto built that
> winch I've heard you been using of late). Anyway, this idea of "oldest
> glider pilot" got me wondering about how much further than South
> Jersey Otto can extend his title. Now, I'm not talking about the
> oldest person alive with a glider rating but active pilots. Any
> challengers?
>
> BTW, I'd like to hear from anyone who might be able to share any Otto
> stories they may have. If you know the man you also know he is very
> humble and getting him to talk about his accomplishments is no easy
> task.
>
> Mike Fadden
> ASW 15

B Lacovara
October 3rd 04, 01:33 AM
We do indeed have the winch Otto built at PGC. It is an ingenious piece of
equipment that has served well for many years - thanks Otto. On the topic of
oldest glider pilot… we have maybe the oldest student? Joe Beyer, who is 83,
just soloed after *beginning* flight training last year. Joe, who flew as a
crewman during WWII, is sharp as a tack and full of energy. I want to be just
like him when I grow up ;-)

Bob Lacovara
PGC

Shawn
October 3rd 04, 05:25 AM
B Lacovara wrote:
> We do indeed have the winch Otto built at PGC. It is an ingenious piece of
> equipment that has served well for many years - thanks Otto. On the topic of
> oldest glider pilot… we have maybe the oldest student? Joe Beyer, who is 83,
> just soloed after *beginning* flight training last year. Joe, who flew as a
> crewman during WWII, is sharp as a tack and full of energy. I want to be just
> like him when I grow up ;-)
>
> Bob Lacovara
> PGC

Sounds like Joe didn't bother to grow up either. Good roll model. :-)

Shawn

CV
October 3rd 04, 01:59 PM
NigelPocock wrote:

> Derek Piggot turned 80 last year and celebrated it by flying a 500km in an ME7
> - in england!

Nice to hear, and congratulations to Derek !

I had a memorable flight in a Janus with him out of Lasham,
uh some 15 years ago now iirc, just before he retired as CFI,
including cloud flying and close encounters with the smoke
pillar of one of those stubble fires, common towards the
end of summer: Smoke stinging in your eyes and lungs, rough
as hell, narrow and irregular core, but extremely rewarding
with strong lift when you manage to center it - not an
easy task in those rough conditions and on instruments.

Finally broke out on top of the broken cloud layer and
had one of my most enjoyable flights ever, once the smoke
had cleared from the cockpit and you could see and breathe
again.

But what's an ME7 ?

Cheers CV

Renny Rozzoni
October 3rd 04, 04:28 PM
In New Mexico our nominee is Al Santilli! Al still flies his Libelle
on a regular basis, is the local designated examiner, and he was born
May 28, 1914....which makes him our senior statesman at 90! I've seen
his license and it is signed by Orville Wright....RRR

Larry Johnson
October 3rd 04, 07:14 PM
CV > wrote in message >...
> NigelPocock wrote:
>
> > Derek Piggot turned 80 last year and celebrated it by flying a 500km in an ME7
> > - in england!
>
> Nice to hear, and congratulations to Derek !
>
> I had a memorable flight in a Janus with him out of Lasham,
> uh some 15 years ago now iirc, just before he retired as CFI,
> including cloud flying and close encounters with the smoke
> pillar of one of those stubble fires, common towards the
> end of summer: Smoke stinging in your eyes and lungs, rough
> as hell, narrow and irregular core, but extremely rewarding
> with strong lift when you manage to center it - not an
> easy task in those rough conditions and on instruments.
>
> Finally broke out on top of the broken cloud layer and
> had one of my most enjoyable flights ever, once the smoke
> had cleared from the cockpit and you could see and breathe
> again.
>
> But what's an ME7 ?
>
> Cheers CV

I believe it's the BGA? designation for a Russia AC-4.

Larry

John H. Campbell
October 5th 04, 05:38 AM
My guesses,
Ed Seymour (NY). First flew w/ Lewin Barringer's club, late '20s
Philadelphia
Al Santilli (NM). Whitewashed protruding rocks at 1st Natl'. Glider
Contest
Rudi Opitz (CT). Test flew all kinds of motorless wonders in the '30s

Fred Voltz
October 5th 04, 04:25 PM
In Wisconsin Gunter Voltz is still instructing power and sailplanes at
88. First soloed gliders in 1929, flew Luftwaffe WWII, just completed
FAA wings number 17.

Google