PDA

View Full Version : 'Thermal City'

Ray Lovinggood
October 5th 04, 05:48 PM
There is a small community in the foothills of the
Appalachain Mountains in North Carolina, USA, named
'Thermal City.' No kidding! Take a look at the state
road map:

http://207.4.62.65/GISftp/default.asp?directory=\DOTStateTravelMap
&download=rutherford.jpg

It's located at approximately 35deg 31min North, 81
deg 59 min West.

With a name such as it has, plus the nearby 'Isothermal
Community College', should it be the home of a fantastic
soaring site?

While there isn't a charted airfield in Thermal City,
the Rutherford County airport is just about 5 nautical
miles south. Hmmm, this is where a self-launcher would
come in handy! Anyone want to fly out of Rutherford
County (FQD) with a 5,000' x 75' runway at 1,078' msl
and report how good the conditions are?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS-1d

Ian Cant
October 5th 04, 06:26 PM
Also in California. See Thermal at

http://www.csgnetwork.com/localairports2.html

Ian

At 17:12 05 October 2004, Ray Lovinggood wrote:
>There is a small community in the foothills of the
>Appalachain Mountains in North Carolina, USA, named
>'Thermal City.' No kidding! Take a look at the state
>road map:
>
>http://207.4.62.65/GISftp/default.asp?directory=\DOTStateTravelMap
>>
>&download=rutherford.jpg
>
>It's located at approximately 35deg 31min North, 81
>deg 59 min West.
>
>With a name such as it has, plus the nearby 'Isothermal
>Community College', should it be the home of a fantastic
>soaring site?
>
>While there isn't a charted airfield in Thermal City,
>the Rutherford County airport is just about 5 nautical
>miles south. Hmmm, this is where a self-launcher would
>come in handy! Anyone want to fly out of Rutherford
>County (FQD) with a 5,000' x 75' runway at 1,078' msl
>and report how good the conditions are?
>
>Ray Lovinggood
>Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
>LS-1d

Mike Lindsay
October 5th 04, 07:16 PM
In article >, Todd Pattist
> writes
>Ray Lovinggood > wrote:
>
>>There is a small community in the foothills of the
>>Appalachain Mountains in North Carolina, USA, named
>>'Thermal City.'
>
>We have a reservoir in New York named "Neversink" but I know
>from experience it's poorly named :-)
>Todd Pattist - "WH" Ventus C
>(Remove DONTSPAMME from address to email reply.)

The cat who lives in our clubhouse is called Thermal. He is supposed to
control the mice.
--
Mike Lindsay

Google